What can you do with a pandora without a SD card??

richiz

No SD card. Funnily enough I have an 8 gb micro sd. Thank you memory card making wankers for making 70 different memory cards.

Does it have internal memory for apps n things?

In short what can you do with this sucker until either my SD card arrives or I find some sort of micro to sd adapter in town

No SD card. Funnily enough I have an 8 gb micro sd. Thank you memory card making wankers for making 70 different memory cards.

Does it have internal memory for apps n things?

In short what can you do with this sucker until either my SD card arrives or I find some sort of micro to sd adapter in town
find an adapter,, the internal nand has space for a few apps but many on the boards would say dont use it, also not sure if you can use PNDs on the nand and have them show correctly,

best bet find an adapter, or I think you can just jam in a usb drive and it works the same, dont quote me on that,

Edit: look around the house, everyone has a sd card around,, camera, wii, mp3 player etc

Last edited by a moderator:
find an adapter,, the internal nand has space for a few apps but many on the boards would say dont use it, also not sure if you can use PNDs on the nand and have them show correctly,

best bet find an adapter, or I think you can just jam in a usb drive and it works the same, dont quote me on that,

Edit: look around the house, everyone has a sd card around,, camera, wii, mp3 player etc
Arrrgh you would think that! Except my phone is my music player and camera and my GBA takes a mini SD.

Arrrrrrrrgh. Anyone in the milton keynes area want to a run an SD card to my house? lolz. Don't want leave house becaues UPS says it'll be here in a bit. And by "be here in a bit" I mean probably throw it into my hedge.

Yo dawg, you heard I like writing data, so you need to put my micro sd card inside a sd card adapter inside my pandora, so I can write data while I write data.

:D i could actually pop my yours on the way home later, but no spare sd cards

you can still save things on the nand though, and you can launch a .pnd just by double clicking in the file manager on it, so as long as you check how much space there is (not much) then you can try a few things out

I have exactly the same problem: I wanted to wait till the last moment to buy a card (I am in late batch 2 and I thought when the Pandora is finally shipped, I'll be able to find 2TB cards at £20). But then when I saw the refurbished Pandas on eBay, I couldn't resist, and I'm now expecting my own precious any time soon.

And I don't use any SD (camera and PSP use memory pro duo sticks, etc.) I might have an SD lying around, but it's probably from my old camera 10 years ago: likely to be a 256MB or something like that :blink:

Anyway, just holding the Pandora in my hands and drooling over it will be enough for my pleasure right now :)

You could take this time to get yourself familiar with the OS and the included programs.

I have exactly the same problem: I wanted to wait till the last moment to buy a card (I am in late batch 2 and I thought when the Pandora is finally shipped, I'll be able to find 2TB cards at £20). But then when I saw the refurbished Pandas on eBay, I couldn't resist, and I'm now expecting my own precious any time soon.

And I don't use any SD (camera and PSP use memory pro duo sticks, etc.) I might have an SD lying around, but it's probably from my old camera 10 years ago: likely to be a 256MB or something like that :blink:

Anyway, just holding the Pandora in my hands and drooling over it will be enough for my pleasure right now :)
Tru dat, got so many torrents going at the mo it's untrue.

I never understood people that bought SD cards like 2 years and loaded them with Panda software. They'd only have to download them again when they actually get them cos of all the software revisions and things.

I'm a bit annoyed 64 and 32 gig cards are so heinously expensive. Absolutely shocking how they've milked that technology.

Tru dat, got so many torrents going at the mo it's untrue.

I never understood people that bought SD cards like 2 years and loaded them with Panda software. They'd only have to download them again when they actually get them cos of all the software revisions and things.

I'm a bit annoyed 64 and 32 gig cards are so heinously expensive.
16gb is the sweet spot IMO

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/16596517/Transcend-16GB-SDHC-Class-10-Memory-Card/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0&searchstring=16gb&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search

Im starting to think that you should be able to run off usb sticks/drives as I assume they are mounted to /media also and that would put them in the menu, if not you should be able to browse to them so really you could use any usb drive/phone in usb storage mode something like that?

You can use USB flash (or even HDD) instead of SD card. OR try find (buy) cheap microSD adapter to USB port. Though, USB things must be 2.0 HighSpeed.

I'm a bit annoyed 64 and 32 gig cards are so heinously expensive. Absolutely shocking how they've milked that technology.
Milked? How so? The profit margins are ridiculously slim for genuine-capacity flash media, flash manufacturing has been hit hard by the recession (and to a degree by the prominence of fake-capacity counterfeits, as well), and only recently have the prices *been able* to drop a bit.

Just because there's a myth out there that flash is cheap to develop and produce, and that its prices are always falling, doesn't make it so. ;)

^ Yeah, what - Theo - said. :lol:

Huh? How is £48.73 cheaper than £39.99???

And anyway, be careful people, don't get Prometheus started on SD cards ;)

EDIT: Oops silly me, I hadn't seen the prices from vendors below on the Play site.
Nope was 36.99 on play.com when I posted, wonder if I caused the rise within a few minutes, I didnt mean the vendors

Edit: still shows 36.98 when you search for it,, wierd. until you click it

edit 2: and its back to 36.98

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/17405582/Transcend-32GB-SDHC-Card-Class-10-Memory-Card/Product.html?searchstring=32gb+sd&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0

edit3: I dont think I understand how play works anymore, I liked it when it was just play without trying to be ebay

^ Who needs to do that when I could just set my Mega Man army on you all? :p

@meandu229 - If it says "From" before the price, then it's only in stock with third-party sellers. ;)

The NAND does have a /pandora directory into which appdata and PNDs can be stored. It is very limited (about 100MB) and certainly not recommended for regular use, but you can place things there and they'll appear exactly the same as if you were using an SD card. Drop the gnome-games PND there and you'll at least get things like minesweeper and solitaire to play with. Be very careful, there are a lot of things I would definitely recommend against putting on the NAND, such as web browsers, ekiga, anything that writes logs. Get yourself a proper SD card (even a cheap 1GB or smaller, which can be had for a couple bucks) as soon as possible.

sometimes i wish i didnt have any sd cards laying around the house, it seems as if no matter where i look, i see a card, 19 adapters, and those little translucent cases everywhere! yet i somehow never manage to loose any of my sd/mini/micro cards and my sdhc to usb adapter is always withing reach

Milked? How so? The profit margins are ridiculously slim for genuine-capacity flash media, flash manufacturing has been hit hard by the recession (and to a degree by the prominence of fake-capacity counterfeits, as well), and only recently have the prices *been able* to drop a bit.
The markup on the 64GB cards is rather excessive. For 32GB cards, the prices seem to be not much more than the cost of the flash memory.

Back