Xgp Gameabout Webzine Interview

polooo2

Interview of GP's executive, Lee Woo-Suk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emulator console no more!
Priority in game line-ups!

XGP has finally revealed itself past few weeks. There has been outrage amongst communities both domestically and internationally related to the console design and how users wanted it to change. Woo-Suk, the chief executive of Gamepark seemed to be in a gloomy mood the late afternoon we met him probably because of the reaction XGP has gotten. He seemed to be finding ways to improve the machine based on the user feedbacks he got at the offline voting contest, and our conversation started.

GA: What is your stand on the result of the contest?

Lee: There has been many different opinions. The surface gloss, keypads, designs, there has been alot of input related to those. The reaction has been rather of an dissapointment generally speaking. Some said to improve on what we have, some others said to redesign it from scratch. We want a balance between many user opinions. We also wish to modify whatever we can to bring to you a better product.

GA: GP selected a swibble function, will XGP support touchscreen as well?

Lee: We're not going for touchscreen for main screen, but we are thinking of placing touchpad at the bottom. We aren't sure on this yet.

GA: Keypad was a main issue users pointed out at the contest. How will it be improved?

Lee: We want to keep the keypad for chat function, but we will improve it as people seemed to think it was too much a telephone-like. If we intergrate touchscreen or touchpad, the keypads will change design according to the modification we're making.

GA: Why DMB for a handheld console?

Lee: We want people to have something to do with it at the launch, when contents might relatively be lacking. The swibble function is for enjoying contents more comfortably.

GA: What other strong aspects doesn XGP have other than the DMB?

Lee: Linking between XGP and PC. Network multiplayer through PC, an online game on XGP or versus play between 2 XGP's. We are planning to put Quake 3 on XGP to show it's power.

GA: Will the link between PC and XGP have enough speed?

Lee: Games will have to be modified specifically for XGP in order for games to run smoothly. but once they are, linking XGP and PC will be easy.

GA: XGP has wireless LAN. What will it do exactly?

Lee: It will be used for cross-link between an XGP to PC or between 2 XGP's. We are also greatly considering of web browser because of the user demands.

GA: What's been improved on GPOS?

Lee: 3D aspects and a couple spec upgrade. We are compiling an SDK and we're making additions to it to make it easier to use.

GA: How will the games be sold/purchased?

Lee: It will use the same downloading method as GP32 did. We're trying to make the product distribution as easy, safe and efficient as possible.

GA: What are your stand on copyright infringement SDK release might cause?

Lee: We will support security solution as well. We will solve this problem with close partnership of third parties so there will be no infringement.

GA: XGP is to be released next year. Any difficulties related to it?

Lee: DMB chip that will be used in XGP will be released at the end of this year, and we will get the parts by then. After we have the DMB chip, XGP can be released at any time, but our company policy dictates to make sure we have enough games lined up for release. We understand the importance of game titles. Hardware will be completed this year, but the release may get delayed due to game line-ups. We do not want XGP to end up as an emulator machine again.

GA: Any possible changes for XGP?

Lee: XGP is a machine still under development. We're constantly seeking new ways to see things such as larger battery storage, and wibro instead of wi-fi.
With the contest result we have, we want to make a machine most not if all the people can enjoy. Once the machine is complete, we will start gaining third party games. Once we have Quake 3 running on XGP which could be september or october, we will start making deals.

Failure of the past will be the stepping stone for the future...(conclusion)
Blahblahblah conclusion shit blah blah blah we don't care about author opinion blah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Done.

Seems like we won't even see homebrew (or emus at least) on XGP.

Cheers.

We do not want XGP to end up as an emulator machine again.

Well, that kills all interest in XGP for me. GPX2 all the way.

I already own a PSP. I don't need another expensive 3D handheld, only weaker and with even fewer games. <_< But I still do like that swivel screen. :)

Just because they don't want it to end up as an emulator machine again doesn't mean it won't end up as one. The gp32 also has DRM games and the same closed source OS (yes, the gp32 is and always has been closed source - the source just happened to escape one day), but we're hardly lacking in emulators are we?

Gamepark are probably thinkning themselves for Nintendo or Sony but they may end up like Tapwave if there are no emulators for the XGP.

woogal posted on Aug 19 2005 at 10:21 AM said:
Just because they don't want it to end up as an emulator machine again doesn't mean it won't end up as one. The gp32 also has DRM games and the same closed source OS (yes, the gp32 is and always has been closed source - the source just happened to escape one day), but we're hardly lacking in emulators are we?

Ah yes.

But question is - will XGP be much better (or even as good) for classic game emulation as GPX2? From the specs and design, I don't think it will be. It's not faster, it just has a good 3D chip and various other (expensive) features.

Honestly you'd be better off with a PSP, even for emulation.

For GP32 fans, I can't see the XGP being of much interest. It's basically a Korean PSP, but with a bleak outlook for commercial game support.

Last edited by a moderator:
The XGP has some nice features, but I think the GPX2 is best all-round machine for emulation and general homebrew, so that's the one I'll be supporting :)

Now, if they suddenly changed the processor in the XGP to something like 400Mhz, then it may turn some heads, including mine, but I don't see that happening.

"Woo-Suck, the chief executive of Gamepark"

Are you sure this is not made up, I mean that name? ... :D

Squidge posted on Aug 19 2005 at 11:42 AM said:
The XGP has some nice features, but I think the GPX2 is best all-round machine for emulation and general homebrew, so that's the one I'll be supporting :)

Now, if they suddenly changed the processor in the XGP to something like 400Mhz, then it may turn some heads, including mine, but I don't see that happening.

really nice to see that GPx2 will got your support Squidge :)
honnestly I don't think they will change the hardware .... they will surely *correct* the (imo) ugly design in something more acceptable , but they seems to be proud of what's inside (as they plan to run Quake 3 on it) so I don't think they will change it...

& this interview confirm that the XGP will have pain to survive outside of Korea - even inside ? ;p

It's quite probable that I "only" buys one portable of between these: PSP, GPX2, XGP, ... and will be the that has more & better emulators (I don't want to have several portable ones, I want to have all in one)... that simple.

Of course, TV-OUT is necessary for me, in addition of other characteristics.

Un Saludo.

i can never understand why tv out is so important. HELLO PEOPLE, IT"S A PORTABLE SYSTEM, if you want tv out, get a PS2 or something like that.

XGP i think will be an expensive door stop, if it even gets released. They will not release it until they have enough games at launch. You can pretty much bet that 0 big third party companies will be devolping for a little, no name korean system. So you would have abscure third party games or strictly first party games. Pretty much just like the GP32.

Then you have the competition. The XGP has no possible way of competing with Sony or Nintendo. If they were smart, they'd strike up a deal with Microsoft, and enter the market as the new handheld from Microsoft. Not only would the support and money be there, but the worldwide recognition.

Even if this thing does allow emulators I can see no advantage over the GPx2. 3D is useless for emulation. It has a 200 MHz CPU also. Even if they put a 300 MHz CPU in it you are still stuck with a crappy analog stick and 16:9 screen which are bad for emus anyway. CPU speed is not everything, otherwise we would all have Pocket PCs.

for me xgp sounds pretty nice.
If they get commercial games going and we also see a bit homebrew iam sold.
What do i need tons of emus for again, thats what i have my gp32 for, it emulates evrything i care about pretty well.

i agree with you Vimacs, my GP32 does everything i need it to do already, so neither of these companies will get my $$ unless i see something totally mind blowing, but the XGP, unless they really pull something spectacular out of their ass, will never have the commercial games and support like the DS and PSP will have.

Angel posted on Aug 19 2005 at 01:58 PM said:
(1) i can never understand why tv out is so important. (2)HELLO PEOPLE, IT"S A PORTABLE SYSTEM, (3) if you want tv out, get a PS2 or something like that.

(4)

XGP i think will be an expensive door stop, if it even gets released. They will not release it until they have enough games at launch. You can pretty much bet that 0 big third party companies will be devolping for a little, no name korean system. So you would have abscure third party games or strictly first party games. Pretty much just like the GP32.

Then you have the competition. The XGP has no possible way of competing with Sony or Nintendo. If they were smart, they'd strike up a deal with Microsoft, and enter the market as the new handheld from Microsoft. Not only would the support and money be there, but the worldwide recognition.
(1) 'cause I love TV-OUT
(2) LOL - it did not know it! Thanx for your valious information tío!
(3) PS2 is not portable.
(4) I do not respond more because I get tired to translate Spanish to ingles, sincerely, I feel it.

Un Saludo.

Angel posted on Aug 19 2005 at 02:58 PM said:
If they were smart, they'd strike up a deal with Microsoft, and enter the market as the new handheld from Microsoft. Not only would the support and money be there, but the worldwide recognition.

I think Gizmondo are already trying to go down that route, and apparently (not confirmed) Microsoft have expressed at least some interest, but no firm plans.

Back