Wrapping everything up!

My experience with the OMAP5 devboard a lot of the responsiveness depended on the Xorg video driver used. While I haven't played with the devboard in a while (too lazy to setup another SD card), I felt the desktop experience was faster in older versions of PyraOS before it introduced slow modesetting drivers and such.

I'd be happy if it plays YouTube and html5 sites.

And I’m happy if the Pyra plays everything from my Pandora,
The Gameboy Familie would be cool for the first two months
At first it’s a Pandora Device for me, whit a better case
At second, I want it to be my new Main Computer..

And I’m happy if the Pyra plays everything from my Pandora,
I wouldn't hold your breath for that myself. I've heard some speculation on how it could be done, but current approaches would take a lot more space than ginge did on your pandora. But with Ptitseb's super build system, and Wally and others helping out on the app front, a lot of stuff can be simply recompiled with slightly different flags, so I'm not sure how valuable a ginge type layer would be in reality. If there's the odd bit and piece that ptitseb didn't build and doesn't have publically findable source probably from the early days of the Pandora, you might need to flag is up so that someone can wrap the appropriate softfp libs with the old binary and get it running.

All of the above about the Gemini is pretty much true. That said, it is the best clamshell keyboard phone currently available. I also have a Cosmo on pre order.

That's surprising. Are none of the recent-ish blackberry keyboard devices any better? Granted, they all have very much smaller keys, but they were still perfectly reliable when typing out texts and other notes back when phones had similar sized keys in the early 2ks. I did a lot of typing on my Psion 5s as well, and it sounds like it's not as good as that was either which I didn't expect.

4. It's great for Android - but don't expect to use it for Linux. It's not really optimized and struggles to run at the high resolution the screen has. LibreOffice runs incredibly slow - it's not usable. It runs a LOT faster on the Pyra...

Just my 50 cent on the linux side: you should try linux chroot with AnLinux (https://f-droid.org/de/packages/exa.lnx.a/) /termux. it works great if you dont need "fast" graphics since it uses a x11vnc to display stuff on android. but with a few tweaks (resolution to 480p) it's really useable. i use for example iceweasel and pidgin on top of xfce with this setup.

(some hint: on my gemini/termux installation the installation scripts dont work out of the box. since they are simple shell scripts i had to replace wget with curl -O and set the architecture fix to aarch64. then it worked - if someone want my patched installscripts (ubuntu/xfce) i could post it if i'm at home)

As I have now also a Ebook Reader in my Pocket, i wouldn’t mind if the Pyra ditnt play all the things of my Pandora in the first two months
But as the Pandora had a lot of emulator that’s still mapped for it, I think it wouldn’t take that long for the first few..

In a prior OS I was running on the devboard, I was just running the firefox bundled with Debian without too much issues. Also imported chrome (not chromium) from an armhf version of ubuntu and it worked alright.

@TrashyMG I didn't know there was an ARM desktop build of chrome. it was the only thing working with Netflix at one point, but now i guess firefox does... not that i'd be tempted to watch much netflix on the pyra, but it's the ability that counts :)

That PtitSeb man.
It's the websites that suck.

THIS
Web is just cancer. Think about it. All i want is several pages of text + static images. Original Web designed on a 25-33mhz 68040 with no graphics acceleration and ~24MB RAM for EVERYTHING. In 2018, to get say 40 static pages of information displayed on my screen, 8GB of RAM and 50 CRAY 1 supercomputers of CPU power sometimes isn't enough.........

M A D N E S S

That PtitSeb man.

THIS
Web is just cancer. Think about it. All i want is several pages of text + static images. Original Web designed on a 25-33mhz 68040 with no graphics acceleration and ~24MB RAM for EVERYTHING. In 2018, to get say 40 static pages of information displayed on my screen, 8GB of RAM and 50 CRAY 1 supercomputers of CPU power sometimes isn't enough.........

M A D N E S S
Something has to power all those trackers.

@TrashyMG does screenshare to chromecast work with chrome on the Pyra?
unfortunately I couldn't get that working at the time... I think it required some other library or something that wasn't on any armhf platform... but this was a few years ago when I played with this so my memory on it is a bit fuzzy.

unfortunately I couldn't get that working at the time... I think it required some other library or something that wasn't on any armhf platform... but this was a few years ago when I played with this so my memory on it is a bit fuzzy.
mkchromecast should work though.

Websites are bad, but people & companies are often worse. Who hasn't received an email (usually from a school or other institution that should know better), with a PDF attachment containing a static GIF image of a few dozen lines of text?

The abstraction layers are getting out of control.

Back