Wrapping everything up!

There's always the 500 clear cases, better than nothing.
I'll take one! Function over aesthetics, that's my moto... well, as long the case is not some variation of pink or purple or something. :p
Sure, but that doesn't really seem fair for someone to just get case-less or clear case units ahead of others when some people have spent double the price for a prototype unit that hasn't been shipped yet, nor to the 200 or so that risked putting their money down real early in the pre-pre-order.
It's been several months, but I did spend $375 on pre-order at DragonBox for a standard edition 4GB model... All the way back in April...
How long has the Pyra been in development now?
Has there been any official listing of case colors yet?

Last edited:
It's been several months, but I did spend $375 on pre-order at DragonBox for a standard edition 4GB model... All the way back in April...
I pre-ordered on October 17th 2015. How long it's been in development depends on semantics, ED has been playing with ideas for much longer than it was publicly known he intended to make a Pandora successor. It's round 4-5+ years now for sure, the choice of the OMAP5 was already known at that point, because I actually made an active effort of pre-ordering the Pyra on the OMAP5 devboard I purchased around that time.

Last edited:
Sure, but that doesn't really seem fair for someone to just get case-less or clear case units ahead of others when some people have spent double the price for a prototype unit that hasn't been shipped yet, nor to the 200 or so that risked putting their money down real early in the pre-pre-order.
I know! I mean after that. Like if the cases still aren't ready for some reason when it's time for the mass production. I don't think that will happen but still.

This means California has been dead for awhile now :D

Uh? I thought it was common knowledge that Califronia died long ago and was now only inhabited by AI algos. That's why they elected Terminator, oder? (don't know about Baja California)
But when one comes to think of it, the federation around them is run by someone human but crazier, and if you look around the planet, coackroaches look
saner than humans by a mile or two.

I've always thought that it was a pity that we decided to pass the Turing test by creating humans more stupid than machines, and not the other way around, but that's just me...
Now I'm just trying to enjoy my extinction. I'll wait for my Pyra though, if only to leave something for the coackroaches to inherit.

P.S.: Just joking, thanks ED and others for all the work. Rest a little and don't give up you're almost there.

I'll take one! Function over aesthetics, that's my moto... well, as long the case is not some variation of pink or purple or something. :p
Yeah, but it's apparently official that at the very least the shoulder buttons don't work right* on the clear cases. You might think they're superflous for a non-gamer or something, but in fact as a keyboard warrior, I wish more keyboards had shoulder buttons - they make entering shifted characters and control codes much easier (and on Pyra they'll also control fn-shifted characters and alt-codes although I never knowingly used the latter as I can recall)
Has there been any official listing of case colors yet?
The pre-pre-orders were made I think according to my records in early 2015, and were mainly stop people pestering to send monies to ED to help out with production at that early juncture, although I guess the money sent actually helped buy parts at the time.

As I recall the main decision from ED last time I heard (a couple of years ago now I think) was something blackish (maybe the the extent of charcoal grey or something) and maybe some special colour initially or a little later as well.

* Rumoured to be fixable with a knife, but I've no personal experience of that.

GPD is coming out with a dirt cheap, quad core, Intel driven pyra clone (only visual difference is the gaming controls, but it has MUCH better hardware) in 2019.

https://liliputing.com/2018/12/gpd-micro-is-a-tiny-299-laptop-aimed-at-it-pros-coming-in-2019.html

@EvilDragon no chance the Pyra will get a move on and come out first? Because I am strongly thinking of buying that instead given the Pyra is basically the exact same place it was last Christmas, and the cases molds were to be transferred almost 6 months ago (yet still aren't). While I like emulation, i don't use it very often. 2 more months.

Well, our guess as to why FormAction is taking having so many issues is that they simply overestimated the project and the work involved - and they're too small to handle it, it seems.
They've only got two machines altogether, so whenever they are producing something for a different company, they don't have ANY machine left to do a prototype run - and as the Pyra has so many moulds, it's nearly impossible for them.
UniquePlast has a LOT more machines (I think 16 or so at the moment)

Also, the owner of UniquePlast is lucky to have two sons who are REALLY interested in that business and are helping out. One is their main 3D designer, the other one handles all the plastic production. They both visit fairs (like the one where I met with them) to gain new knowledge and make their company future-proof.... so yeah, that all really helps.

Well, our guess as to why FormAction is taking having so many issues is that they simply overestimated the project and the work involved - and they're too small to handle it, it seems.
They've only got two machines altogether, so whenever they are producing something for a different company, they don't have ANY machine left to do a prototype run - and as the Pyra has so many moulds, it's nearly impossible for them.
UniquePlast has a LOT more machines (I think 16 or so at the moment)

Also, the owner of UniquePlast is lucky to have two sons who are REALLY interested in that business and are helping out. One is their main 3D designer, the other one handles all the plastic production. They both visit fairs (like the one where I met with them) to gain new knowledge and make their company future-proof.... so yeah, that all really helps.

All of this was known 6+ months ago and the molds were to be sent to UniquePlast then.

As of this thread the moulds STILL reside at FormAction. Sooooo???

All of this was known 6+ months ago and the molds were to be sent to UniquePlast then.

Yes, and we still had to let them produce 500 shells in order to fulfill the contract and the latest changes to the shoulder buttons happened about 3 - 4 months ago.

As of this thread the moulds STILL reside at FormAction. Sooooo???

No, according to my contact, they're sitting at a transport company and should be ready to be picked up, and I'm working on that.

There's always the 500 clear cases, better than nothing.
Do we really believe in the existence of these 500 clear cases?!

My theory for why FormAction is still spinning things out is because they still haven't been able to make them. Remember the previous time when they said they'd made some (prototype) cases but later claimed that the dog had eaten them (or the courier had smashed them or something) and no one ever saw them? I'll believe in The Clear 500 when we've heard unequivocally from @EvilDragon that someone reliable has seen them -- either he himself, or his contact in Greece.
[doublepost=1544750356,1544749176][/doublepost]
Yeah, give it some time, and there'll be a lifeform digesting plastics.
"Mutant 59: The Plastic Eaters". (A dreadful (but rather engaging) 20th-Century disaster novel by Kit Pedler and Gerry Davis. )

2860615318_8d249f56bf_z.jpg

Perhaps that was the fate of the 500 clear cases.

I however did enjoy using physical keyboards on devices similar to what the blackberry did utilize, memorizing which key was what made it super easy to type while driving,

Obviously you don't live in western Europe :D

In my country it is totally forbidden to use a phone or other device while driving, even if it is on fixed car holder, you can't touch it while driving.

Even they can fine you if you don't have 2 hands on steering wheel (of course you can use one to change gear as usually we don't like automatic gear on combustion engines).

In a later message I see you live in the country of guns and FREE MEN :) So I was right, you are not in western Europe.

I think it would be right to touch a phone (on a car holder) to change music or operate GPS navigation, as it is near the same you do with car systems (in fact a lot of cars have touch screens today), but using chat and other services is really dangerous while driving.

I however never owned a blackberry, and there quickly ran out of Android and Windows phones using those styles of keyboard...

Well, you are on time to buy a Blackberry 10 with physical keyboard: I can see BB Q10/Q20/... still on sale at low price. Obviously BB10 is a dead SO time ago, but I suppose you can use it as a terminal to control other device on your pocket or car (a Pyra or other pocket device for example). In that way it can be interesting: keyboard and screen, as terminal, for a ONE-HAND HANDHELD device: you can type and see results using only a hand (and at least one eye :D ).

On other side, today "Blackberry" brand (really Alcatel, as they bough the cell terminal business from BB), makes Android smartphone with physical keyboard. For example Blackberry KEY2
https://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_key2-9187.php
, launched this summer with Android 8.1, is a recent Android smartphone with BB keyboard.

Review: https://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_key2-review-1788.php

memorizing which key was what made it super easy to type while driving...
I really hate the Apple movement that's trying to get rid of all physical buttons

Really dangerous typing while driving :)

If you don't like voice recognition (I know it isn't ok), you could investigate very rare "near invisible" one hand-held keyboards: there are one-hand "keyboards" that detect you finger position/movement and in that way you touch with them without a keyboard and without looking at keyboard.

Something like for example: One-Handed Chorded Keyset For Typing On The Go

There are other strange one-hand keyboards. For example:

Nah, I'm running a Xiaomi Mi Max 2 with a 6 and a half inch screen, great for YouTube and stuff. :p

For me that is near a TABLET, nor a phone :)

I own a LG V20 (I love it for a lor of reasons: removable battery, FM radio, IPS display, second display, Hifi QuadDAC with 3.5mm audio jack), and I don't want a bigger phone. For me this is the limit for a (not foldable) phone. And I have very large fingers and I am in the limit to use that phone. I don't know how people with normal or small fingers could use big phones in a good way.

If there eventually could be a CPU module with a Rockchip RK3399 on board

I think there will be CPU upgrade for Pyra, although it will take a lot of time.

I prefer more liberty, more security, total user ownership than more power in a CPU.

I prefer a CPU/SOC with less power but without Spectre bugs [1], less GPU power but open drivers.

I prefer less power but be able to totally and really control and COMMAND my device. Today in a lot of computers and other TIC devices (smartphones for example) with tons of "secret binary blobs", "non-specified hard", even backdoors, etc.

With that in mind, I would prefer an open version of RISC-V CPU, from SiFive for example (and that when they launch something comercial capable of running full Linux/*nix and in mobile version), with less power but but with total command and control from user and without Spectre bugs.

I would love to have a computer, better if it fits in my pocket, having total control, like in old times, when men were men and really could control and command their computers.

[1]: Cortex-A72 cores in Rockchip suffer from Spectre bugs (the same than Cortex-A15 in Pyra), while Cortex-A53 in Raspberry Pi are immune to Spectre (as they don't have speculative execution).

Back