Would You Actually Buy A Commercial Game For Gp2x?

If you made an RPG and charged $15 for it, on the one condition of there being some way other than paypal or a cheque (seeing that I'd have to pay a £50 conversion charge with one of those flimsy bits of papery goodness), then I'd definitely buy it.

And action game? It'd depend on the reviews; I'm more of a fan of games with depth, so tend to like them less, but hey... if you could include a good story as part of it, then again, $15, same conditions, done deal here.

Might conceivably pay $20 for the RPG if opinion was in its favour, but obviously, if you're willing to do it for $15 that'd be nicer :D

I would pay for a good comercial port of a console game.

Actaully, even if only bad games are released for the gp2x, like the gp32, I'd still buy a few of them. :D I'm a sucker.

I'd also be interested in doing some porting of comercial products. I even contacted a few PDA companies to see if they are interested. (There are a few interested people out there.) I'd do it for fun, and I'm not sure how it would cost me anything. Hopefully I can match the DRM to peoples serial numbers and let them download the game, with a quick email exchange and keeping peoples passwords stored on a private database.

I'm a security engineer, so I could probably make my own DRM database, but I imagine Craigx is doing the same thing, so it would be wasted effort.

I'm certainly happy to help out in any way possible.

Make a nice racing game (wipeout, mario kart, TOCA 1/2... even an updated version of Slix'n'Slides) and make it available in a pysical format of some sort (perhaps a cheap 16mb SD card) and I will most certainly buy it.

Need more racing games. If I get the chance I might make a GTA style (top-down) racing game. But ATM I have no time.

Good Luck with any commercial endevour you take on. I am sure with such a supportive community as this one, it will be a great success.

NOTE: the reason for wanting the game in a physical format, is simply so I can hold it in my hand... stupid I know... but I would like to hold an Official released game for 2X.

I guess you never look at Ebay then huh ?
Type in GP32, Theres always pirate CDs for sale blink.gif

There was never a CD with cracked GP32-games on ebay. Just CDs with games from the file archive.
Trust me it is very easy to find cracked games for the GP32. Shame the games were all rubbish imo.

Edit: I would buy a wipeout or so on clone, if it had a decent 3D engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

There was never a CD with cracked GP32-games on ebay. Just CDs with games from the file archive.
Trust me it is very easy to find cracked games for the GP32. Shame the games were all rubbish imo.

Wasn't there a wipeout clone being made for both the GP32 and GP2X.

I saw a video of it running on a gp32 awhile ago.

yea I seen that video, I dont member what it was called, it didn't show much of anything in action so you couldn't really tell how it'd run and it looked more like a cg sequence so.
I'd buy a game for 15 or 20 bucks, depending on how it is. If they try to get bigger ports (i.e madden games, maybe some tom clancy games or somethin I dunno throwin stuff out) then I'd expect we'd get charged more, kinda like sony's games are 10 bucks cheaper than 3rd party publishers etc. I say there for download though, much more fast and convienant, unless you reall wanna a case and stuff...

Retrogamer is going to have the scoop on the first commercial GP2X game. You will all bloody love it.

And its a real game too, not PDA port, but a real, well known 3D game, which looks amazing on the GP2X, or as i've been testing it, on my 29" SVGA monitor via tv out :)

Retrogamer is going to have the scoop on the first commercial GP2X game. You will all bloody love it.

And its a real game too, not PDA port, but a real, well known 3D game, which looks amazing on the GP2X, or as i've been testing it, on my 29" SVGA monitor via tv out :)
What about those of us who don't get retrogamer? Will it be posted online as well?

I would say if you are going to make an rpg, make it something with like the best features from rpgs. The one rpg where I think they took the most risks and it ended up being my favorite of all time was final fantasy 8. The junction system, active time battle system (wasn't new), guardian forces, drawing magic instead of having mp, it was incredibly good stuff.

However, charging for something like a clone could probably get you into hot water, so maybe make it in a completely different world. The graphics of final fantasy 8, while I'm sure we will see with the help of zottd, may be a bit to much to ask for. Have you played Golden Sun on GBA? That game has probably the best 2-D battle engine graphics.

If you are going to make an FPS, make sure it is kind of like Doom or Quake where aiming is unnecessary. One joystick sucks for aiming, try playing Coded Arms on PSP... :(

A racing simulator like Gran Turismo would be pretty insane too.

I would probably buy any of those types of games for $10-15 US.

BTW, I would be willing to pay/donate to have a Java Virtual Machine run on the GP2X, because the primary language I am familiar in coding in is Java. Just thought I would throw that out there.

i recall someone working on a wipeout style game that was to be released in jan, have yet o see anything bout that! but if the game looked good i would definatly buy!

Hmm, a tough bunch. Download only, since physical production and shipping and stocking is very expensive, so its simply not worth it. (ie: A price of $15 to a price of $30, just so you get a box.)

The piracy question is a big one; ie: If its not locked to serial number, then the first sale (or 2nd) would get copied around to everyone.

The emulation angle is another toughy.. as I've always said (as an emu developer, I'm eating crow ;) -- if peopel woudl ratehr have Chronotrigger than a new original title, it pretty much kills the entire game industry.

Well it really isn't "just so you get a box" it is just so the user can use it on any unit when they want to without having to ask permission from anyone.

The problem with DRM is that you have to depend on the company or developer to be in business, alive, active etc. Look at the Zodiac perfect example. If you bought tons of games and your unit breaks you are screwed out of the games that you paid for as they went out of business. To me that is not acceptable it is too restrictive and there are too many ways for you to be screwed. Another idea I had was timed DRM. It would be locked for a year but then after a year the user could log on to a website, enter their info and be able to download an unlocked version. By then sales would be pretty dead anyway and the user probably wouldn't be pirating it anyway. Also can it be locked to a serial number on an SD card? If so a user could give the SD serial and have the game locked to it.

Emulation: Can one guy produce a better, longer new original RPG or one equal to a team of Japanese coders, artists, and musicians that worked at Enix, Sega, Working designs, etc? I doubt it just to be honest, there wouldn't be enough hours in a day to accomplish that. In that case wouldn't most opt for the superior free ones? Making an RPG to compete with hundreds of emulated games is a tough racket. My opinion is pass on the RPG. You need a niche game that has not been done on an older system, that can be done on the GP2X and be interesting to many.
If it was done on an older system it would have to be FAR better on this unit to be popular. For example if you did a super version of Boulder Dash for example with tons of beautifully rendered graphics great sound effects that look far better than emulated versions etc that might do well. And you wouldn't need the time like you would for an RPG with some involved story etc. You would just need to write an engine and draw tiles and the rest is just level design. Just an example.

Honestly you may do well with a payed emulator. Say for example if you made a SNES emu that ran full speed with full sound and transparencies and sold it for $15. You would be rich..

Wasn't there a wipeout clone being made for both the GP32 and GP2X.

I saw a video of it running on a gp32 awhile ago.

The video name is "gp32wipeout" or something like that, but the name of the game is "Ha Toda Pastilla". The game footage and the trailer should be available from the Archive, but if for some reason they're not, search around, I'm sure you'll find them.

Id definately pay if it was a decent game WITH a demo. Heck, I payed 20bucks for Warfare inc and a few more palm games, so as long as the demo shows that the game is of a good standard I'd pay. Hell, Id have payed 40 bucks for Space Traider.

Wouldnt touch things like sub par mariokart games or that wipeout looking game though. Id rather see something with a bit more thought and substance behind it.

One thing I would love on 2X is little fighter 2, although its probably a pipe dream because those guys have moved onto LF:O, but Id pay through the teeth for LF2 on the go! :D Especially if it had link up support by then.

Hmm, a tough bunch. Download only, since physical production and shipping and stocking is very expensive, so its simply not worth it. (ie: A price of $15 to a price of $30, just so you get a box.)

The piracy question is a big one; ie: If its not locked to serial number, then the first sale (or 2nd) would get copied around to everyone.

The emulation angle is another toughy.. as I've always said (as an emu developer, I'm eating crow ;) -- if peopel woudl ratehr have Chronotrigger than a new original title, it pretty much kills the entire game industry.

Well it really isn't "just so you get a box" it is just so the user can use it on any unit when they want to without having to ask permission from anyone.

The problem with DRM is that you have to depend on the company or developer to be in business, alive, active etc. Look at the Zodiac perfect example. If you bought tons of games and your unit breaks you are screwed out of the games that you paid for as they went out of business. To me that is not acceptable it is too restrictive and there are too many ways for you to be screwed. Another idea I had was timed DRM. It would be locked for a year but then after a year the user could log on to a website, enter their info and be able to download an unlocked version. By then sales would be pretty dead anyway and the user probably wouldn't be pirating it anyway. Also can it be locked to a serial number on an SD card? If so a user could give the SD serial and have the game locked to it.

Emulation: Can one guy produce a better, longer new original RPG or one equal to a team of Japanese coders, artists, and musicians that worked at Enix, Sega, Working designs, etc? I doubt it just to be honest, there wouldn't be enough hours in a day to accomplish that. In that case wouldn't most opt for the superior free ones? Making an RPG to compete with hundreds of emulated games is a tough racket. My opinion is pass on the RPG. You need a niche game that has not been done on an older system, that can be done on the GP2X and be interesting to many.
If it was done on an older system it would have to be FAR better on this unit to be popular. For example if you did a super version of Boulder Dash for example with tons of beautifully rendered graphics great sound effects that look far better than emulated versions etc that might do well. And you wouldn't need the time like you would for an RPG with some involved story etc. You would just need to write an engine and draw tiles and the rest is just level design. Just an example.

Honestly you may do well with a payed emulator. Say for example if you made a SNES emu that ran full speed with full sound and transparencies and sold it for $15. You would be rich..

Rich, no way; sued, sure ;)

Theres a lot more to it than what you want; ie: would most people prefer to pay $15, or $30-$40 for the same thing, with a package and SD card? Perhaps more important is the $10,000 the dev would have to put down to get the SDs printed up before a single sale has been made, versus the $0 cost to get the DRM download right up.

You also assume DRM is evil; while I'm 100% anti-DRM most of the time, there are ways to make it work.. ie: I always said that if I made a DRM'd product, I'd try and make it so if the company gave up the goat on the platform, that the key-gen would become open source, or the unsigned binary woudl be released, or some other thing; it makes no sense to screw the buyer (which is usually people like me as you know :)

Anyway, remember, its my time and cash layout, not some faceless rich entity; I wouldn't make a SD boxed version.. I can't afford it, so thats 100% out at least for the first thousand sales.

The responses are more or less what I expected, so no worries; more positrive than negative, but naturally .. once a product is available, many fewer will jump in with cash in hand .. unless it really is good, and liked, and few other diversions to compete with..

I'll only do it if theres minimal cost, since its really mostly risk I think.

jeff

Rich, no way; sued, sure ;)

Theres a lot more to it than what you want; ie: would most people prefer to pay $15, or $30-$40 for the same thing, with a package and SD card? Perhaps more important is the $10,000 the dev would have to put down to get the SDs printed up before a single sale has been made, versus the $0 cost to get the DRM download right up.

You also assume DRM is evil; while I'm 100% anti-DRM most of the time, there are ways to make it work.. ie: I always said that if I made a DRM'd product, I'd try and make it so if the company gave up the goat on the platform, that the key-gen would become open source, or the unsigned binary woudl be released, or some other thing; it makes no sense to screw the buyer (which is usually people like me as you know :)

Anyway, remember, its my time and cash layout, not some faceless rich entity; I wouldn't make a SD boxed version.. I can't afford it, so thats 100% out at least for the first thousand sales.

The responses are more or less what I expected, so no worries; more positrive than negative, but naturally .. once a product is available, many fewer will jump in with cash in hand .. unless it really is good, and liked, and few other diversions to compete with..

I'll only do it if theres minimal cost, since its really mostly risk I think.

jeff

Does it HAVE to have DRM? I mean I still don't like the fact that I can't control the use of my own software that I bought. Say I just have 2 GP2X's one for backup etc. I would have to ask permission to use my own game on more than one unit. And if you said "no" because you had a thought that I was giving it to a friend or something then I suffer for it. It is just too much freedom given away and too much control for the publisher. This type of thing keeps me from buying it in the first place as I never truly feel it is "mine".

You probably shouldn't se the magic word DRM -- its like using the word 'nazi' as it implies things that aren't true.

ie: What about the serial number used in installing Windows? Thats the same sort of thing, but it lets you use it in numerous places.

What if you were able to sign up multiple units?

What if you could have any one unit at a time?

Traditionally, _some_ form of protection is needed; I know the Great Truth that the big guys ignore -- protection annoys regular joes, and doesn't prevent piracy at all; but you generally need _something_ since even honest joes will copy if its easy.

I'm famous for saying that protection almos tnearly just neds to be a magic word, which could always be the same word for everyone.. as long as its not guessable first 3 tries, averae joe might be convinced enough to buy; but if it works from being emailed around, people will often go that way.

Anyway, its not my rules :)

More to point is.. its my _risk_.

Another question.. do you think this platform is more or less hostile to commercial apps than others?

Complex questions..

jeff

You probably shouldn't se the magic word DRM -- its like using the word 'nazi' as it implies things that aren't true.

ie: What about the serial number used in installing Windows? Thats the same sort of thing, but it lets you use it in numerous places.

What if you were able to sign up multiple units?

What if you could have any one unit at a time?

Traditionally, _some_ form of protection is needed; I know the Great Truth that the big guys ignore -- protection annoys regular joes, and doesn't prevent piracy at all; but you generally need _something_ since even honest joes will copy if its easy.

I'm famous for saying that protection almos tnearly just neds to be a magic word, which could always be the same word for everyone.. as long as its not guessable first 3 tries, averae joe might be convinced enough to buy; but if it works from being emailed around, people will often go that way.

Anyway, its not my rules :)

More to point is.. its my _risk_.

Another question.. do you think this platform is more or less hostile to commercial apps than others?

Complex questions..

jeff

I just like how a console game is handled. I can buy an Xbox 360 game I can play it on any unit without having to hassle around writing an e-mail and then waiting a few days for permission until I can use my game. If something could be done like that it would be fine.

How about if you use the person's name or something for the software? That way they would be less likely to give it out because they would be busted real easy.

Back