Would You Actually Buy A Commercial Game For Gp2x?

If it's 1/5 as good as a "real" commercial game, you can add $5 for GP2X bias which brings it to $15.

I too would be willing to pay for some good quality commercial games (bar sports, sadly not my forté).

It'd be interesting to know what you are thinking of doing though. Obviously some types of games I would probably be willing to pay a bit more for.

I'm still holding out for a port of Myst or Riven for the Gp2X one day like there was for the pocket PC. I have to admit, I love a good long adventure that gets you involved, and I think it could be quite interesting on a Gp2X.

Nonetheless, looking forward to see how this develops - I'm certainly willing to pay for some nice work :)

There are only few rpgs I like, but if it would be a good one I would definetly buy it. Just needs to be easy to buy.

so would I. I'd pay 20 max For a real good rpg. 10 for an average homebrew download.

I'd pay, like £10 for a REALLY good platformer, or action/puzzle game (God Of Thunder, etc), but again, it'd have to be good. Cause we have NES, Genesis, SNES, all kinds of things to top. However, prettiness and originality are a big bonus. If it's awesomely cute with an adorable (and marketable) main character, YOU'VE GOT A SALE.

Now, for RPGs, if it's a fairly good one, £15. If it's THE awesome, and I mean "YOU MUST GET THE GP2X FOR THIS GAME", £30 =o.

Needless to say, I won't buy downloads. Ever. With nice little boxes (say cardboard GBA ones for the cheaper, and plastic DS ones for the more expensive.)

The main thing for me here is cute characters. And good gameplay.

I would personally stay away from RPGs. Unless it is going to be better than Chronotrigger, Phantasy star, Legend of Oasis etc that are on emulators, I wouldn't think you would get alot of sales.

I would pay 20$ for Gish on the gp2x. I know its not possible, but a similar game with some parts taken out or extensive code optimization or something would be amazing.

Hmm, a tough bunch. Download only, since physical production and shipping and stocking is very expensive, so its simply not worth it. (ie: A price of $15 to a price of $30, just so you get a box.)

The piracy question is a big one; ie: If its not locked to serial number, then the first sale (or 2nd) would get copied around to everyone.

The emulation angle is another toughy.. as I've always said (as an emu developer, I'm eating crow ;) -- if peopel woudl ratehr have Chronotrigger than a new original title, it pretty much kills the entire game industry.

So the fact piracy comes up, and the emualtion-as-better comes up .. it pretty much means never ever develop commercial high quality stuff for GP2X.

(I've often said that Linux folks tend not to want to pay for things; not due to morals, but due to being cheap ;) This may extend to the GP2X as well, and bodes badly.

ie: IT is important for a community to encourage ommercial development; ie: This is why with the Zodiac for instance, I was hesitant to release a Genesis emu, since SEGA was trying to release their own. Rather than step on their feeet, encourage them. In the end, I released (and yoyo promptly did as well), since they did such a poor job.

So there are a lot of questions..

ie: A few people might pay up, but if the rate of piracy and unintersted-due-to-emulation is high, its too bad for them.

(Its a tough place for me to be; I've lost work due to being a homebrewer and open source supporter, and I may turn down this work for the same reasons; at the same time, I produce homebrew since its the lifeblood of development spirit, and I make shareware and commercial to pay the bills. Ahh, a developers life is a weird spot :)

jeff

Somethjing I've learned (now that I'm seasoned and jaded ;) -- ideas are easy; ie: People come up with inventions all day long.. worthless; inventions that have follow through, thats where the work is :)

jeff

I'd buy with DRM, so long as those rights were transferrable to a new machine if I brick this one and get it replaced. (Serial number protection could be used if Craig could get GP2Xs from GPH with the same serial number as the bricked one).

edit: And yeah, I know what you mean, I've been trying to get up and do something for the past few months, I just can't be bothered :).

Somethjing I've learned (now that I'm seasoned and jaded ;) -- ideas are easy; ie: People come up with inventions all day long.. worthless; inventions that have follow through, thats where the work is :)

jeff

Probably too late to contribute now, but I would certainly buy at least one commercial title. I don't care about DRM I never pirate anything[/].

Oh, and I'm a linux user but I'm not cheap! I don't pay for software on Linux because I've not yet found anything that I need to buy. But I used to buy a SUSE distribution every year or so. Now I've switched to Kubuntu, however.

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,

I have always supported homebrew and emu developers since 1995. I believe ( like you) that this type of developing is the core and heart of everything else thats out there...commercially or otherwise.

If you made a game (any game) for the GP2x. I would buy it.
Like the GP32 (ANY ONE remember Super plusha?) I bought that game and still play it today.
I'll help support you skeezix.

I would buy a commericial game, so long as it dont have crappy trance music in it.

Ha! I agree! It really is surprising how many amazing games I've played over the years that have poorly produced trance music in the background.

I would definitely consider buying a commercial game, but I think it would really have to be special (ie more than we can get with emulators) for it to be a huge success. Looking forward to what comes up.. I'd be happy for it to be linked to one GP2x as long as it can be transferred if the genuine need arose.

Last edited by a moderator:
one more thing. I am no game coder, or developer. I know shit about code. But I do know games and truly respect those who put time effort and creativity into one.

I imagine serial-number locking shoudl be acceptible; ie: If you got a new device, you'd hit up a web CGI that would get you a new unlock code for the new serial number. Make it realtively painless and it should be okay.

Perhaps with a guarantee that if it went unsupported the locking mechanism would be removed, so you wouldn't get screwed. Or something :)

You know me, I don't do evil.

jeff

I dont think piracy would be too much of an issue. There are other ways to secure games (serial numbers). I know these can easily be gotten around, but then again so can DRM protection (think GP32). I think DRM protection hurts consumers more than anyone else.

The thing that would help against piracy is simply morals- the fact that the game is made by a single person who is active in the community and not some faceless corporation. Community resistance to piracy would be the main form of anti-piracy protection.

And yes, I would happily pay $15 or maybe a little more for quality games, as they surely would be from Skeezix.

Back