Hey All, New To The Scene

Lineus

Website
gfo.owns.it
Hello everybody, what's up?

I'm new to the scene, been lurking around these forums for a while now in anticipation of when I get my GP2X (F-100 for X-mas) and just thought that I would say hello. And brag...

I'm getting the following:
GP2X Value pack
GP2X Cradle
GP2X Power supply
GP2X Carrying case
GP2X 3m TV-Out cable
Payback SD Card game
Card Reader

I already have 2 1GB SD cards that I plan to use to their fullest.

I plan to buy more SD cards, and a charger, of course.

I have been downloading some stuff, and so far I think I have all of the "must haves"...
MAME 5.1 (**cough*with*full*romset*and*samples*cough**)
Several other emu's (the list is pretty long...) and roms
[MAME, SNES, and NES are all I really care about though]

Gmenu2x

Various games from the archive such as sqdef and the vektar freeware

SHOOTERS!!! (prboom, gpquake, rott)

Is there anything else that I should download/buy?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions, and for sitting through my gloating!

p.s. I plan to dev for this system, as well. I actually already have plans for a space-shooter/puzzle/action game (nothing like Meteos) and a good old fashoned remake of Phoenix, as well as a possible FPS using Yeti 3d. At any rate, I am an RPG gamer, but I think that these are the more suitable game type for the gp2x.

ScummVM :) And hours of adventure games will fit in your pocket.

Cradle and TV-out cable are kinda mutually exclusive...

Unless there's some place where you can use a TV but don't want to haul a cradle to. The thing doesn't look very portable...

Actually I'm waiting for a similar order, except it's with F200 and I don't need a card reader. Hope it'll get delivered before the New Year 'cause that's the big holiday down here.

Lineus said:
Various games from the archive such as sqdef and the vektar freeware

SHOOTERS!!! (prboom, gpquake, rott)

You have done well with that list. You have obviously kept up with the forums. :)

If you like FPS games, I would highly recommend Duke2X (Duke Nukem 3D). It's a very good port to the GP2X. There are also others including Heretic and Hexen. Also checkout the Decent interpreter called D1X Rebirth. Very cool game.

Other good games to try are Cave Story (amazing arcade adventure ported from PC) and The Ur-Quan Masters (AKA Star Control 2 - huge cult following).

Last but not least is TileWorld2X. An interpreter for Chip's Challenge (a hit game on Atari Lynx and Windows 3.1). Many many puzzle levels to solve as there are user made level addon packs. Some are already included with the game if you download it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the advice! I'll look into this stuff and see what I like! Also, what do I need to utilize the serial and JTAG ports on the cradle, cable wise? Will a simple serial cable and printer cable work? Or do I really need to hack my own following the wiki?

Gr.Viper said:
Unless there's some place where you can use a TV but don't want to haul a cradle to. The thing doesn't look very portable...
It's more portable than a TV ;)

Shouldn't need an adaptor for the TV part of the cradle either, and the cradle should give a better connection.

Lineus said:
Thanks for all the advice! I'll look into this stuff and see what I like! Also, what do I need to utilize the serial and JTAG ports on the cradle, cable wise? Will a simple serial cable and printer cable work? Or do I really need to hack my own following the wiki?
I believe simple extension cables will do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back