Worth Getting

TK423

Still Fresh
Is the GP2X worth getting for someone who wants to soley run it for PSX? Or is it currently too buggy/slow to be worth it?

Any idea how long, if ever, till the GP2X will be able to play PSX games flawlessly?

check the forums to find out. And in the end i think it will depend on the game. Some games will run faster than others. If you really really want accurate psx emulation wait for sony to release classic psx games for psp. But they will charge per game. So its up to u.

No, I would 4-6 months to check on its progress though. Meanwhile there's other great emulators already or being developed.

TK423 posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:43 AM said:
Any idea how long, if ever, till the GP2X will be able to play PSX games flawlessly?

Never.

Look at what it is doing it is trying to emulate a 33 MHz MIPs, plus 3D GPU, plus sound with a 200 MHz arm. The physics just aren't there for "flawless" emulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, TK423, if you are not like most people in this forum (who think "fullspeed or nothing") and can bare with non-fullspeed yet playable speeds, you could probably get a GP2X for PSX. I believe GP2X4ALL is undergoing much optimization for GP2X, Dreamcast, and I'm not sure if there are any other platforms.

JaqMs posted on Jul 15 2006 at 11:08 PM said:
Well at TK423 at if you are not like most people in this forum (who think "fullspeed or nothing") and can bare with non-fullspeed yet playable speeds, you could probably get a GP2X for PSX. I believe GP2X4ALL is undergoing much optimization for GP2X, Dreamcast, and I'm not sure if there are any other platforms.
Wait two more updates, if the 3D on 2D titles aren't fullspeed by the time the DynaRec is finished I doubt anything ever will be fullspeed.

I am at most realistically expecting 30-40fps at FS2 with no sound out of some quasi-3D games such as Legend of Legaia and Final Fantasy.

So "playable" maybe, but I would rather see new original content for the handheld, a couple rounds of Vektar and I don't want to boot up my PSX Emu again :D, and the 3D engine preview kicks major ass for full-software rendering (no 3d core on our system)

JaqMs posted on Jul 16 2006 at 06:08 AM said:
Well at TK423 at if you are not like most people in this forum (who think "fullspeed or nothing") and can bare with non-fullspeed yet playable speeds, you could probably get a GP2X for PSX. I believe GP2X4ALL is undergoing much optimization for GP2X, Dreamcast, and I'm not sure if there are any other platforms.

He already asked if there would be "flawless" PSX emulation and that isn't happening. It sounds like he wants a handheld PSX but this isn't it.

DaveC posted on Jul 16 2006 at 02:16 AM said:
JaqMs posted on Jul 16 2006 at 06:08 AM said:

He already asked if there would be "flawless" PSX emulation and that isn't happening. It sounds like he wants a handheld PSX but this isn't it.
I agree, he might want to look into a portable PSone from http://www.benheck.com/index.htm/ .

Lol, the page is down. But still, that thing's not a realistic option. It's a cool novelty item though. If you're looking for true portable PSX emulation, the PSP or GP2X is your best bet right now.

PSX will get faster. It will get even Fullspeed FS0 with Sound on some Games. (Games like Legend of Mana which are 2D) Dynarec will help the Speed VERY much (minimum 2 times faster than now) Then optimizing RAM Timings + some 2nd CPU magic for Sound and we have fullspeed 2D PSX Games. 3D are more difficult... But I think FS2 + Sound wuill get at last 80 % Speed, too. As everyone said, if you ONLY want to play PSX on it and not other good stuff like SNES, Genesis or GameBoy, then you need to wait or buy something else.

DaveC posted on Jul 16 2006 at 05:59 AM said:

Never.

Look at what it is doing it is trying to emulate a 33 MHz MIPs, plus 3D GPU, plus sound with a 200 MHz arm. The physics just aren't there for "flawless" emulation.

THe guys from Bleem managed to get an machine-coded PSX emulator up and runnning on Windows95 and it only needed a 166Mhz Pentium MMX cpu. The ARM cpu is not as powerfull though.

Mark.gif

Jaguarandine posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:05 AM said:
Lol, the page is down. But still, that thing's not a realistic option. It's a cool novelty item though. If you're looking for true portable PSX emulation, the PSP or GP2X is your best bet right now.

I didn't try it, but I doubt very much the page is down. Try removing that trailing slash. :rolleyes:

Mark1970 posted on Jul 16 2006 at 07:16 AM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 16 2006 at 05:59 AM said:

Never.

THe guys from Bleem managed to get an machine-coded PSX emulator up and runnning on Windows95 and it only needed a 166Mhz Pentium MMX cpu. The ARM cpu is not as powerfull though.

Mark.gif

I have the last version of Bleem ever released before they went out of business. It will not run on any Windows past 98, and you will not get decent speed on it unless your processor is over 300 mhz. Plus compatibility was pretty random.

why is everyone suddenly so pessimistic? zodtt and co seem quite confident they can get games running at playable speeds, and theyre the devs, so dont you think you should believe them

Back