Witcher 3 ?

4 million sold units, gog sold about a quarter of that.
I thought they sold half of it on Galaxy ?  
As it looks like, I did get something wrong: According to 0:33min there are 693000 units "handled" via gog galaxy and 613000 units via all other platforms, which should mean ~ 1,3 million units sold on PC - if "all other platforms" also includes people that bought it via gog.com but did not use their client.

@everybody who played the first two: How linear compared to "The Legend of Zelda"?
The first game follows a railroaded story, you start in one place, then after finishing that part's main quest, you unlock the second place and so on. In each part, you have a main quest but also a few side quests you can choose to do or ignore. In both the main quest and the side quests you can make choices that will have impact on following events.

nothing to do with legend of zelda... zelda is not even a RPG, i would not even compare it to Witcher... 
The first game really looks like an action-RPG to me and Zelda is my standard example for those.
Zelda barely has a strong storyline or dialogs, so I'd say it does not compare well, Even the Witcher 1 had an actual story that was quite developed. 

Not saying Zelda is a bad game, but calling it a RPG is really a stretch. 

^ There are different classes of RPG.

Zelda definitely falls within that broad category.

Out of curiosity... if Zelda being an RPG is a 'stretch' 

...  what genre is it then?   ;)

Game categories are always arbitrary and some games are at a crossroads between different genres. Some people will say that Zelda games are action-RPGs while other will label them as "action-adventure". There isn't an official standard guideline for that kind of stuff.

^ There are different classes of RPG.

Zelda definitely falls within that broad category.

Out of curiosity... if Zelda being an RPG is a 'stretch' 

...  what genre is it then?   ;)
I'd say it's an adventure game with elements that fringe on roleplaying. 

I think zelda fits very neatly into the "action RPG" category. Moreso the later installments than the earlier ones, but they all qualify, none the less.

It has quests, you have progressive item based character development rather than the statistical experience based one. The story develops as you as the main character where decisions impact the direction in which the game progresses. There is a set path, and a very linear main quest line, but many RPG's fall into that description as well. 

I think maybe "casual rpg" might be more appropriate to describe games similar to zelda. They have every core element a more serious RPG has, but is much much lighter in each and every aspect.

I'll play "The Witcher 3" when the machines will rule the world... so I will be sure about the capability of the hardware...

I loved "The Witcher", the first one was mainly A STORY, long, deep, open to interaction to change the outcome, plus with added action... thanks to a simple, yet interesting combat system, but the game is different from the ones of the same category, require strategy, for example you mainly can't heal yourself during a combat (Final Fantasy inverted...), and if you use too many drugs you will just die (if not for the drugs, because of the enemy that will do everything to your now defenseless body)

I started playing "The Witcher 2", but stopped at the beginning of episode 2 just because my PC was really struggling... and the graphic options where already at minimum...

Anyway the impression it gave to me is that they took the previous game, leaving the story factor as it was, but improving the combat system in a way that it can be enjoyed even by itself (the arena).

I didn't like the fact that the "mouse/keyboard" controls where radically changed in favor to the "gamepad" way... the first game was totally playable with just the mouse, like a graphic adventure.

Also they added those consollish events like - *dragon charging you* [PRESS X TO EVADE] - in less then a second, else you will replay this event, FOREVER untill you do it right..... BUT... WHY I HAVE TO PRESS [X] ??? why all my normal movements are locked, just for this event... it seems like if the normal game suddenly stops and you have to do another game, required to finally continue with the "main" game you want to play...

Also, because I didn't see it mentioned, you can IMPORT your "The Witcher" character in "The Witcher 2", but not only for the equipment, for some of the background story too, to see again some "old friend" or get some reward for something you made in the first game...

I suppose (but not sure) even the third game has this possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think zelda fits very neatly into the "action RPG" category. Moreso the later installments than the earlier ones, but they all qualify, none the less.

It has quests, you have progressive item based character development rather than the statistical experience based one. The story develops as you as the main character where decisions impact the direction in which the game progresses. There is a set path, and a very linear main quest line, but many RPG's fall into that description as well. 

I think maybe "casual rpg" might be more appropriate to describe games similar to zelda. They have every core element a more serious RPG has, but is much much lighter in each and every aspect.
There isn't one game that is very similar (a clone) to The Legend of Zelda, is there?

There was a game for the Genesis which was very similar to ALttP but I can't remember offhand what it was called. I own it, I'll try to dig it up and then tell you but no promises.

There isn't one game that is very similar (a clone) to The Legend of Zelda, is there?
Oh there's been a bunch, willow for the NES, neutopia for the turbographix, golden axe warrior for the master system, wanders of ys for super nintendo and other platforms, to name a few, if you google search zelda clone I'm sure you'll find some more. I think they're refereed to as "zelda like" similar to "rogue like" as a generalized catagory.

Some of those I listed have actual "levels" that you gain through experience though, which bumps them clearly into "rpg" where zelda could be seen as a grey area... but due to the small amount of items and how dramatically those items progress you through the game at different stages I feel they belong in the same category.

Oceanhorn has the reputation of beeing a Zelda clone, never played it myself though (but surely will give it a try somewhere down the road)

Plenty.

Brave Fencer Musashi,

Legacy of Kain - Blood Omen,

Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver,

Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver 2,

etc...

from what I've heard Darksiders 1+2 also.

More or less every action RPG with character development on rails; puzzles consisting of moving boxes, finding items and using them in the right place; finding stuff for people; real time third person fighting and timed boss fights that need a special tool and tactic and are otherwise indestructible.

Back