Wireless Electricity And The Pandora2

How efficient would this be, I think it goes directly against the 'green' hype of the moment. (anyway the green hype to me is just a clever marketing strategy to let us buy newer 'greener' stuff, they never calculate manufacturing the product etc. )

Technology such as this won't become ubiquitously available, because energy efficiency is what counts nowadays. Adding all that stuff just to bridge a few centimetres wirelessly is weird, imo. It's nice for (low powered)transponders because you don't need internal batteries and medical stuff where you don't want to open the body, but it's not suited for consumer electronics like Computers or TVs. The EU just enforced a new law to reduce standby power consumption. I really can't see this inefficient wireless stuff to have a future in mainstream usage.

Edit:
Bosbeetle basically ninja'd me :)

@Witricity pic above
I wonder what frequencies and voltages they use. High-tension power lines for example affect the surrounding air and raise the chance to get lung cancer by 29% if you live near a high-tension line where the wind comes from that direction(confirmed by a British study).

i dont really care about energy being green or not. I also agree with bosbeetle. Its the goverment who is trying to make the energy green for a bit.

I like the idea of wireless energy. But i think such a "coil" is taking its own energy as well.

And i dont think i can simply go to the store yet and buy a coil transmittor and receiver to charge pandora and my iphone.
I think this is maby technology for in 5~10 years later.

jeje, it might not give cancer by itself, but just do some maths

how much SAR is supposed to be safe daily?

now add up:
- your Cellphone network.
- your wifi whenever you are.
- bluetooth if you love wireless headset.
- audio radio networks?
- TV radio networks?
- RFID Identification/access?
- 900Mhz 2 2.4Ghz household Wireless.

hmm now add up the huge tesla coil youre adding for wireless electricity.

sure we are all safe because we no longer use vaccum bulbs or cathode rays at all!

this reminds me why we will have to wear bronze silk outfits on the near future and look like the future for the 80ties.

EDIT:
Yes i would second any self energy ideas Solar Panel/mechanical crank

The picture that sony posted, just wow; that wont screw with all the coils inside that equipment.
And if I remember my physics correctly, the magnetic field strength weakens very quickly so it's an extremely inefficient way of transfering power over any kind of distance.

Something to consider regarding the power distribution system pic above:
Any conductive structure that basically resembles a coil near the transmitter coil would add a parasitic loss to the system. I don't know how much the resonance frequency has to be taken into account, though.

Did you all miss RCA's CES presentation? Link here. This thing harvests WiFi signals for energy, and they think they can fit the circuitry into the same size as an OEM battery (and similar pricing). If this is real, we're all about to forget about charging devices and start wondering how to shove more radiation out of router antennas.

Dimacus said:
Won't such a device weaken the strength/quality of the signal?
(And if so, isn't that more or less like sabotage/stealing, well unless it's yours to begin with :) )
It depends. Usually those routers use omnidirectional antennas and most energy is lost anyway. Routers don't have that much output to begin with and the CES example is a special case, because of those large amounts of hotspots there. Don't expect that harvester to work in your living room with a single AP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dimacus said:
Won't such a device weaken the strength/quality of the signal?
(And if so, isn't that more or less like sabotage/stealing, well unless it's yours to begin with :) )

And you would be harvesting radiation you receive, it's not your fault if someone don't care about exposing you to their radiations...

imagine this...
someone is shooting at you with a firearm, will you be accused of teft if you pickup the projectile from the wall?

I imagine you might get a solid 10 extra minutes if you plug this thing in to feed continuous energy to your pandora, and you're sitting right next to your hotspot

If we dispense with magical thinking for a minute and think about these wireless power technologies rationally, they become undesirable very quickly. It is impossible to transmit power omnidirectionally and efficiently (unless your receiver is a Dyson sphere). It is also impossible to transmit energy efficiently over any substantial distance using magnetic fields. Whatever the scam artists at Witricity tell you, their product either works at a tiny fraction of the efficiency claimed, or doesn't work at all.

If you don't have a load in that system, you just have the idle power consumption, I suppose. It's like an open secondary winding on a transformer. The problem I see is, that it would just be effective at the poles of the coil, thus it would be more or less bidirectional. Else the coil would have to be gigantic, I suppose.

zhasha said:
It's great to see that it only took them around 100 years to copy what Nikola Tesla achieved way the hell back at the turn of the last century.
Just my thoughts, I always wondered what would of happened if he got to finish Wardenclyffe tower...
SONY said:
What we need is the top of the lid on Pandora to double as a Solar Panel. :pandora2ut4: B)
1+
But that would make it a bit more fragile, perhaps we could use the solar tape? It's like cellophane, but more durable. Figures, it's not as efficient as traditional panels, but it sure is tough.

dschroeter said:
Did you all miss RCA's CES presentation? Link here. This thing harvests WiFi signals for energy, and they think they can fit the circuitry into the same size as an OEM battery (and similar pricing). If this is real, we're all about to forget about charging devices and start wondering how to shove more radiation out of router antennas.
And we just need to bump up the transmission power of our WiFi rigs by several thousand percent in order for it to work. I've seen this discussion on Slashdot already; the math simply doesn't work out.

Jourdy288 said:
SONY said:
What we need is the top of the lid on Pandora to double as a Solar Panel. :pandora2ut4: B)
1+
But that would make it a bit more fragile, perhaps we could use the solar tape? It's like cellophane, but more durable. Figures, it's not as efficient as traditional panels, but it sure is tough.
High efficiency, affordable solar panels are around 30% right now. 70% of the energy from the sun is converted directly into heat which then gets dissipated through the Pandora. Anything that encourages leaving your Pandora in the sun is a bad bad bad idea. Leaving any sort of electronic device in the sun is a pretty bad idea.

That would be a problem, until Craig makes them white :p
Perhaps we should follow the example of OLPC.

# External manual power options include a pull-string generator designed by Potenco[27]
# External power options include 110-240 Volt AC as well as input from an external solar panel[28]...
A built-in hand-crank generator, making it self-powered equipment, was part of the original design, but Negroponte stated at a 2006 LinuxWorld talk that it was no longer integrated into the laptop itself, but that a similar device could someday be optionally available as a hand- or foot-operated generator built into a separate power unit.

Back