Wireless Electricity And The Pandora2

Spandangle

Still Fresh
Imagine a Pandora outfitted with this technology
it would be a truly wireless device

and listen to this

WiTricity technology is designed for Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s) to embed directly in their products and systems. If your company is an OEM, please contact us to discuss your application in more detail. If you are a consumer that is eager to purchase products that are WiTricity enabled, please check back again at our website to learn about products that you can purchase with WiTricity inside.

and this
Our technology is capable of scaling from applications requiring milliwatts to those requiring several kilowatts of power.

Considering this kind of technology is still inefficient, I just wouldn't use it out of energy saving principles. Considering the field must be on, you're wasting a lot of energy and paying for it anyhow. Until then, I'm sticking to minerals and vespene gas.

darien said:
Considering this kind of technology is still inefficient, I just wouldn't use it out of energy saving principles. Considering the field must be on, you're wasting a lot of energy and paying for it anyhow. Until then, I'm sticking to minerals and vespene gas.

Considering it is still in development you can expect inefficiency im looking toward the future and this combined with renewable energy is the future

From the witricity site:The power transfer efficiency of a WiTricity solution depends on the relative sizes of the power source and capture devices, and on the distance between the devices. Maximum efficiency is achieved when the devices are relatively close to one another, and can exceed 95%.

pretty darn good for a product still in development

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we should use Tyberium. I power my house with it and it works great! Just be careful that you don't touch it.

Personally I'd like to see a statistic how many users of that technologie die of cancer compared to the control group, first. I'm not yet lazy enough for that stuff. An ordinary PSU will do for me. Also keep in mind that those coils and power conversion stuff need additional space inside the device.

I'dd much prefer the approach "one connector for all" than this kind of hazardous and with poor efficiency technology...

Yeah, and when they say 95% efficiency, they actually mean when the device in in physical contact with the wireless power station IIRC.

From the witricity site:WiTricity’s technology is a non-radiative mode of energy transfer, relying instead on the magnetic near field. Magnetic fields interact very weakly with biological organisms—people and animals—and are scientifically regarded to be safe. WiTricity products are being designed to comply with applicable safety standards and regulations.

Translation:it's about as harmless as an electromagnet or at the very least less dangerous than your microwave

im not sayingthat it needs to go inside the pandora if you wanted or if it was absolutely necessary a dongle/attachment could be made

fearofshorts said:
Yeah, and when they say 95% efficiency, they actually mean when the device in in physical contact with the wireless power station IIRC.

Maximum efficiency is achieved when the devices are relatively close to one another, and can exceed 95%.

sure it's an ambiguous phrase but still i doubt they mean on top of and in any case that result came from a test with a prototype so imagine what could be done

mali said:
Personally I'd like to see a statistic how many users of that technologie die of cancer compared to the control group, first. I'm not yet lazy enough for that stuff. An ordinary PSU will do for me. 
If this would give you cancer, so would being near any electrical transformer, like the ones in your ordinary PSU.

Haier's Completely Wireless TV Hands On: No Cables For Video...or Power 500x_haier_completely_wireless_tv.jpgWireless power has gone from lab prototype to working product in a little over 18 months, and Haier stuck MIT's WiTricity into a TV along with WHDI wireless video for complete wirelessness. Complete. Wireless. Ness.

500x_haier_completely_wireless_tv.jpg

Sure, there's a big power unit on the wall, radiating (totally harmless) RF into the back of the TV, which has a coil inside to receive the juice. It only delivers full strength if it's parallel, so you have to plan ahead and somehow setup the TV in front of the wall that has the power module. Because of all the hocus pocus, the TV itself is a chunkster, and that power transmitter is no slim jim either. Still, the idea is a good one, and the promise—as both MIT and Intel work their asses off getting wireless power up to snuff—is real.

WHDI is a lot further along in development. Wireless HDMI isn't exactly household, but the tech is now supported by basically all of the biggest CE companies except Panasonic. I'm not going to buy this Haier TV—it might not even be for sale this year—but it's a concrete sign of what's to come.

http://gizmodo.com/5...-video-or-power

In my opinion, this technology just makes sense for encapsuled devices that need very little power. Pacemakers and such could be recharged if you put a coil in the mattress, for example.

atomicthumbs said:
If this would give you cancer, so would being near any electrical transformer, like the ones in your ordinary PSU.
Good point :)

atomicthumbs said:
mali said:
Personally I'd like to see a statistic how many users of that technologie die of cancer compared to the control group, first. I'm not yet lazy enough for that stuff. An ordinary PSU will do for me.

Quite wrong, ordinary transformer got higher than 98% efficiency, and those 2% are almost all copper and core steel loss... where goes those 5%+ lost in this type of transmission?there's twice more energy freed by this technology, and it's most thermal energy for the regular transformers...

It's great to see that it only took them around 100 years to copy what Nikola Tesla achieved way the hell back at the turn of the last century.

zhasha said:
It's great to see that it only took them around 100 years to copy what Nikola Tesla achieved way the hell back at the turn of the last century.

Anyone seen "The Prestige", lately ;) :p

It's all well and good producing this tech, but for pete's sake do they have to call it 'WiTricity'?

iprice said:
zhasha said:
The Prestige has absolutely nothing to do with Tesla's actual work with electricity, and nothing to do with reality. I read about Tesla long before The Prestige came out.

zhasha said:
iprice said:
zhasha said:
The Prestige has absolutely nothing to do with Tesla's actual work with electricity, and nothing to do with reality. I read about Tesla long before The Prestige came out.

I know - it was a subtle reference that's all - hence the smilies.

Technology such as this only becomes useful once it is ubiquitously available. Stick with regular power sources for now.

witricity_logo.jpg
http://www.witricity.com/
witricity.jpg

Back