Release WINE

This patent has nothing to do with QEMU. There's prior art of the QEMU method anyway: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258506

I'd argue it's an obvious extension of an existing project.

This is as much an invention as "Look, I can use dry erase markers on glass!"
I know that you're not motivated by $$, however, I would like to purchase a game and have it shipped to you to see if you can get it to run.  It is Neverwinter Nights.  It can be purchased for <$15.  Either the 'Diamond' or 'Deluxe' editions would work as a base - they're the same thing but originally marketed for the US and European markets.

Example:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Neverwinter-Nights-DELUXE-TRILOGY-Shadows-of-Undretide-Hordes-of-Underdark-/350970300484?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item51b775c844

I have played it under Linux both in WINE and without.  To convert the game to run without WINE requires some modifications to the game files and downloading the Linux compiled execution binary.  Instructions for conversion from a Windows installation to Linux are here:  http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Linux/Installation

I'm assuming to make this work it will need to be installed on a PC then copied over to an SD card.

I have played it, on Linux (Ubuntu, Mint and Debian) in windowed or full screen at resolutions from 640x480 up through 2700x900 stretched over 3 monitors on 2 graphics cards in OpenGL.  Graphics effects can be turned WAY down.  Still, I wouldn't expect much more than a slide show out of it on the Pandora - which is fine.  Even with a slide show performance it would be useful as a DM client chat tool.  I see this as development and proof of concept for when the Pyra comes out.

The game really has 3 modes it can run in.  Player Client, DM Client, dedicated server.

There is also a world builder module - but that doesn't need to run on a mobile device.

The Player Client has both a single player mode and the capability to call a server by IP address or DNS entry to connect to a hosted world.

The DM Client is a special player interface that connects to the server to allow a DM/moderator/administrator to enter a multiplayer game to run quests, generate additional monsters, mess with players, etc.

Dedicated servers can host ~20 players per server with a common database instance over as many servers as the host hardware can handle.  Each 'server' can be a 200+ area portion of an overall world that can have thousands of area maps.  Essentially it's a community run MORPG setup.  The game is ~12 years old, but there are still around a hundred or so server worlds still out there.

All of that probably sounds more confusing than it is.

If you're interested, IM me your Paypall email address and I'll send you the $15 to buy a copy.  Alternatively, IM me your address and I'll buy a copy and send it to you - though that is more expensive with the double shipping.

Whether it works or not, the game is my gift to you for giving it a solid try.  Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

Have you a Precompiled Binarie for us?
That would be nice for more experiments ;)

And what for Resolution do you use for UT?

Edit:
I am curious to try the X - Beyond the Fronier Linux Binary too ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Lunixbochs:

What is the cause of the progress?

Did you do some game specific improvements or did you do an overall improvement?

Maybe floating point emulation (I remember you did mention that it needs improvement).

No long explanation.

Don't want to waste your time.

Just a rough overview is enough for me.

:)

lunixboch Is this anything you can share?, your old release worked semi-decently wouldn't mind playing/testing out your new stuff.

Ingo please show us Diablo 2 with the improvement^^... pleeeease :)

I'm looking into more tightly integrating floating point with the dynamic recompiler as well.

Hey guys I just took a quite glimpse of this topic but is anyone willing to make La-Mulana work for the Open Pandora? The new PC/MAC version. Is this possible or even easy to do? This is my most favorite game. If not, I understand.

Hey guys I just took a quite glimpse of this topic but is anyone willing to make La-Mulana work for the Open Pandora? The new PC/MAC version. Is this possible or even easy to do? This is my most favorite game. If not, I understand.
Do you really understand that the Open Pandora does not run Windows Games ? :p

We are talking about running Windows games from late 1990s or early 2000s via Qemu / Wine, any game much more recent than that is not going to work well on Pandora anyway. 

Ingo please show us Diablo 2 with the improvement^^... pleeeease :)
I replaced the qemu-i386 with the latest qemu-fpu from the last Wineroot.
Tried to install the Windows Demoversion of Neverwinter Nights Yesterday evening,but install did not work yet.
I will try more and i will try Diablo2 soon ;)

Descent3 will i test again too ;)

Do you really understand that the Open Pandora does not run Windows Games ? :p We are talking about running Windows games from late 1990s or early 2000s via Qemu / Wine, any game much more recent than that is not going to work well on Pandora anyway.
I understand that, but La-Mulana isn't a powerful game and does not require a lot to run. It can be ran on a XP. I understand that it is not easy to run Windows on Open Pandora, but I thought I would just ask. I don't think it is impossible. People do amazing things.

Back