Wind And Water: Puzzles Battles Final Demo!

Well, W&W does compete with many commercial puzzle games out there!

Just wanted to know your specs to have them logged :p

Oh, and btw, the cutscenes are not mute, they just DON'T have music for the Demo version, can't just throw all the content of the final version in a demo! :p

Well, it's been a while since I've checked in on the GP2X scene, and I come back to W&W completed? I'll be pre-ordering this when I get home :)

Good luck with getting everything going, I'm really impressed with the work you've done!

A r k said:
Oh, and btw, the cutscenes are not mute, they just DON'T have music for the Demo version, can't just throw all the content of the final version in a demo! :p
Right, but then I should have sound again, when returning to the main Menu. ;) The whole game was mute after the last battle of the story mode + the hang up when exiting. ^^""

Last edited by a moderator:
Pringle9984 said:
Well, it's been a while since I've checked in on the GP2X scene, and I come back to W&W completed? I'll be pre-ordering this when I get home :)

Good luck with getting everything going, I'm really impressed with the work you've done!
Thank you :D I hope everyone who was looking up to W&W visits the forums again, since it's practically our only way of letting people know about the game!

fusion_power said:
Right, but then I should have sound again, when returning to the main Menu. ;) The whole game was mute after the last battle of the story mode + the hang up when exiting. ^^""
Ok! I'll check that right away! ;)

BTW we added a new "What's a sprite and how do you make one?" page in our website, since we had a few questions regarding the sprite :)

Shadowsithe said:
I'm still noticing the game hiccoughs every so often, but overall, I'm incredibly impressed. This really shows how much headway there is for puzzle games as a genre.
Yeah, it still happens, it's an old transition that we switched, as well as the time of the music's fade. We haven't added a "now saving" icon, which will halt the music while the game saves, though it's such a short time that it probably won't be needed. Also, the GP2X's clockrate will be customizable, so that it loads faster if you're using the AC adaptor (or some of those ultra huge rechargeable batteries), or to 200 if you want to save battery life (it's now set to 200 always). Anyway, those music pops will be removed :)

I'm glad that you are impressed and that you like it, thank you :D!

Just finished the demo, and the same issue that affected fusion_power affected me, no sound after finishing the demo.

Was great while it lasted though! Will be pre-ordering too, this will be a great title to show off the gp2x with :)

A r k said:
BTW we added a new "What's a sprite and how do you make one?" page in our website, since we had a few questions regarding the sprite :)

Very interesting. :) making good looking and animated Sprites is an Art for itself. I had made some unanimated Tiles for a few GP2X Games and I can say it's not easy to do a Graphic at the Pixel level. For me, the hard part is, that a Tile/sprite have to look good and correct "from the distance" but you have to draw it Pixel by Pixel in a Size, where everything just looking weird. :lol: So its amazing, how a couple of colored Pixels cann look from the Distance -if you doing it right...and how crappy it can look, when you doing it wrong. (When it looks good big zoomed, you can be sure it just looks weird in normal size ) For Example, your brick wall on the page above looks right but I could never paint this in the correct way. Well, not without many trial and error. And on GP2X is the problem with the Colours, I had to change many colors, shades, brightness so that the graphics looking right on the GP2X LCD. My CRT Monitor has a complete different Colour Handling than the GP2X -this can drive you Crazy!

I learned much when studying the Profis. With VBA Emulator you can extract Tiles and Graphics and Maps from a GBA Game. Incredible, how many Tricks are possible with a limitted palette and just 16x16px Tiles. When looking close, there are just wild Pixles but at the distance its a perfect looking rock or a technical box or grass... These Guys seems to have made their homework (like you to! ). ^^"""

For example: this is a part of a Metroid Fusion Background. Just 13 Colors! And every Pixel has his place, every Pixel do his part to make it look good. Just changing some pixels can make everything looking wrong - amazing!
map5ha9.png

When I can do such a thing one day, alone from inside my head, I'm proud. :)

I'm surprised nobody's made a simple pixel art image program for th 2X yet. It could save developers quite a bit of time by letting them create their game characters whilst waiting for the bus etc. ;)

I did look into writing a one my self at one time as a way to get into programming, but info on writing even the most basic graphics programmes seemed to be virtually non0existant.

@A r k/Yuan.. Didn't you guys make your own pixel art programme for using on your games. I'm sure I read that on your homepage, but I could be mistaken?

p.s Decent tutorial on Pixel Art here for anyone that's interested :)

Well, I have worked professionally for GBA ;)

Yes, it's a skill that takes it's time to master.

The GP2X's screen is incorrectly callibrated. I know almost exactly what the problem is. The Demo of Wind and Water has the color palette properly treated to get the best results on a GP2X screen, but might not look that well on CRT monitor.

After this game is finished I will post my "discoveries" so that emulators and other programs can have the color "corrected" to look best on the GP2X screen.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
I'm surprised nobody's made a simple pixel art image program for th 2X yet. It could save developers quite a bit of time by letting them create their game characters whilst waiting for the bus etc. ;)

Yes, I had such an Idea to but my coding skills are near at 0 ^^"""
Such a programm could be great for doing or editing a quick Icon for an GP2X App. Nothing complicated, only a Pixel editor with a grid, variable size (pre defined Grids like 32x32 for Icons), some colors, some brushes, Eraser, color picking tool, Zoom function of course and maybe Transparent and Layer Options. It should save in .png Format so we could directly use the Icon.

So we could make graphics on the Screen they are used for. :)

Yuan said:
Well, I have worked professionally for GBA ;)
UUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH :blink: Which games?

This ia a very fun game. You can expect a pre-order from me soon :)

And a pic for the sprite hehe.

Yeah, we use our own proprietary tools with the functions we need, specially for complex animations.

I can't really talk about what I have worked on, as I have signed NDS (non-dosclosure agreements).

But I can tell you I'm very familiar with GameBoy restrictions and can work with them very well ;)

Thanks, PSyMastR :D

Well, I've just replayed the demo, just to see if I can find more unlocks(no success yet), so you now have my $20! I can't wait to see what my sprite will look like in a none yoda/borg form :D

I didn't buy the gp2x for commercial software, but I have to agree this is entertaining, plays great and is very addictive. Kudos and good luck with the game.

Absolutely loved the demo, you guys did an amazing job! Just preordered right now. Cant wait for the full release. I hope they make me look cool for my sprite B)

Yuan said:
I can't really talk about what I have worked on, as I have signed NDS (non-dosclosure agreements).
Ha, I know it! You are the guy who invented Mario! ;)

Yuan said:
But I can tell you I'm very familiar with GameBoy restrictions and can work with them very well ;)
I know what's possible with the limited GameBoy Hardware, so I wonder, what such talented People like you could squeeze out of the GP2X if you using all your Magic... :) Hm....maybe we don't have seen the full power of the GP2X yet. I'm sure there are some Levels above "Payback" for example... ^^"""

Thank you very much, dj_orta!

I'll make sure you look really cool ;)

Well, Wind and Water might not look like it uses the full potential of the GP2X, and in fact, it doesn't reach the maximum performance, but most first generation games on any console never do.

However, we have not wasted the valuable resources the console provides us.

Take for instance, Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack for the GBA. The Super Famicom version already had some slowdown, but in GBA it is terrible. And it was made by a very respectible company. The only versions that run perfectly well are the N64 and GameCube ones.

Wind and Water is incredibly more complex than that game as far as calculations are concerned. Our game doesn't load much, has very well animated sprites, more than 50 sounds per match, complex AI, transparencies, streamed audio...

I can safely say this game would be hard to port even to powerful consoles such as the Neo-Geo. The puzzle engine is refine to point that an arcade competition is possible.

Besides, games don't necessarily have to be peak of technology to be good. It's more important that they are well crafted and fun to play ;)

Hi. The "Limited Time" is so to make sure I can manage to draw all the sprites.

Remeber, we also have the release soon, and making sprites is not really all that easy ;)

We wanted to give people something no other game would offer, but I am not an octopus ;)

So basically it's open till the number exceeds the amount of sprites I can handle.

Back