Win2X : Alternative Frontend

I uploaded version 2.3:

> Added qwerty keyboard
> Fixed shutdown when connected
> Changed applications run mode
> Increased compatibility(ommpc2x now works)
> Added alphabetical sort for links and desktop
> Fixed desktop description overlap
> Added "Zelda" skin
> Disabled welcome screen for autolog

Many thanks goes to JayWhite for his design(and his time) on the qwerty keyboard!

grr... :)

CHP,
I think you should really consider an additional free download site as well.
Waiting for EvilDragon to update the Archive is nerve wracking, LOL.
-DEJ

SONY said:
sonylogon.jpg
Not being impatient or anything...But...Any updates for me, Jay?

Not yet. Been busy with the new keyboard, as you seen. Spent some time into that. Also have been busy with work the past two days. I wish I was retired :lol:

I posted a response to your DS to DSI change. I'd like you to find one that suits you, because I'm swamped with stuff to do till probably Sunday. Once you find one, give me a link or post it and I will take the quick minute to change it. I really don't know the difference between a DS and a DSI, was just never a hardcore DS fan, plus I don't have the time to search for one.

chp said:
Many thanks goes to JayWhite for his design(and his time) on the qwerty keyboard!

Thanks Chp! I'm gonna check this out shortly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I've got a couple of ideas - one is a simple work around for the minor issue of some emulators like the spectrum emulator not starting up, and the other is just a feature I think could be quite handy! Ok, first I'll start with the work around, would it be possible to create a link that exits to the original wiz menu, but automatically creates an autostart file that launches the emulator immediately? Since we know the emulator works using the original menu this could work quite well, even if it takes a few seconds to load it would still be faster than me browsing through the original gp2x wiz launcher. Of course, when Win2x starts up again it could automatically check then delete the autostart file so it wouldn't start up anything the next time you go to the original menu. If it sounds complicated, here's the 3 step's I'm suggesting:

1-When creating a link to the emulator in Win2x (ZX Spectrum for example) there could be some information saved that lets it know it has to be run from the original Wiz menu.

2-When clicking on the link to start the emulator, Win2x saves an autostart file before exiting to wiz menu (original wiz menu would have autorun enabled)

3-When win2x next loads up it checks if an autostart file exists and if so deletes it (so it wont load the emulator every time the original wiz menu is started)

Ok, I know it's not a permenant solution, and it's very much like the sort of half arsed solutions I'm famous for among my friends but it would be a nice work around till the problem is finally solved.

My other idea should be a lot simpler to understand and hopefully implement (if you want to) I notice that some software uses higher contrast schemes than others and I'd like to be able to set a brightness level for individual programs, the same way we can set the clock speed (which is great, I can run frodo at 175mhz without frame skip). I'd like to set the brightness for reader2x to high for example, and the brightness for frodo to medium.

Ok, there's my latest 2 ideas, I'm sure I'll come up with more soon! Obviously if you think they are crap or not worth the hassle just ignore them, I'm sure if I just keep throwing ideas around I'll eventually have a good one :)

Good work on the latest win2x, it's so much improved from the original. It's a pleasure following the fast paced development of this front end, like watching a child growing up in only a few months.

Hello chp,

I am using your frontend since the 1.2 version and I love it! But I have one problem I can't solve. I installed Gmu music player and I noticed, that only one speaker works.
When I use the music player from GPH both speaker works clearly. I tried another music player, but it is always the same. And afterwards I noticed, that only one speaker works with the signal tones.

I am very interested if somebody has a similar problem or if chp could help me or give some advise to solve this problem.

Best wishes
Freddy

Hmm freddy, I use GMU through Win2x and haven't noticed this problem. Does it still happen if you launch GMU from the original menu? And are you using the latest version of GMU (0.7 I think)?

I really can't see any reason win2x could be interfering with a single speaker. I'm sure the problem must lie elsewhere, like the way the file is encoded, perhaps mono files are only seen as left/right channel in GMU but other players recognise it as mono and play out of both speakers. What kind of file (bitrate and channels) are you playing and could you upload a sample so I can test it on my Wiz (you better PM me if the sample is a copyright one as I'd hate you to get into trouble for posting a link here).

Hello Titan!Nice to be back again...
Your suggestions are very neat!
First of, your workaround about the original GPH , is already in process, but with more efficient and independent logic...You will see in the next update!
Second, I very much like the suggestion about individual brightness setting!I will add such an option
for the next release!
Thank you very much!Your support is precious!

Also about the GMU,I would like to notice that Win2X does not affect the WIZ's sound as it fully unloads from memory when launching an application.It doesn't mess with any of the sound mixer settings too.
So this effect has nothing to do with Win2X, as Titan noticed too.

chp said:
I uploaded version 2.3:

> Added qwerty keyboard
> Fixed shutdown when connected
> Changed applications run mode
> Increased compatibility(ommpc2x now works)
> Added alphabetical sort for links and desktop
> Fixed desktop description overlap
> Added "Zelda" skin
> Disabled welcome screen for autolog

Does this release have the new boot menu options to set permanently the menu that will load? I want to know before I would install so I don't need to reflash again and risk bricking the Wiz.

Also would this work with older firmware 1.0.0 ?

DaveC said:
Does this release have the new boot menu options to set permanently the menu that will load? I want to know before I would install so I don't need to reflash again and risk bricking the Wiz.

Also would this work with older firmware 1.0.0 ?
DaveC...I think that you haven't understood very well how Win2X works(and the recovery menu screen),if you say that it may risk your WIZ!
No...The feature you requested needs an external utility that will be embedded with the firmware,in order to have the functions you wanted,so you have to wait until I make it.

But, it wouldn't make much difference: The possibility to "brick" your WIZ will be the same...right?

Thanks for the update chp. :)

Has anybody noticed their INI's and their icon PNG's are getting corrupted?
This only happens to the icon PNG's I use for the old front end, resized to 22x25. (Instead of 32x32 I use for Win2X which all stay fine)
The INI's either get emptied of their text or the text gets mixed up and the PNG's become corrupted and unreadable.
If there's any of the corrupt files on the SD card it slows down to a crawl and I have trouble adding files to it.
I thought my SD card was on the way out but it's happened on my other one aswell.

I don't know if this is to do with the way you exit the old front end (by pressing Menu) to return to Win2X? (Maybe the INI's & PNG's are still being used when you exit?)
I've only noticed this since upgrading to 2.3.

Cheers, Neil

hahaha , i just installed it and saw that my login screen picture is one of the backgrounds now , i see that u liked it to , ^.^ , keep up the good work , :)

SONY said:
I suggest that you people don't upgrade.
Uninstall WinX, delete and just start again.
Why is that SONY?
Upgrade is the same as installing,except that you preserve your current user,user settings and links.

chp said:
DaveC...I think that you haven't understood very well how Win2X works(and the recovery menu screen),if you say that it may risk your WIZ!
No...The feature you requested needs an external utility that will be embedded with the firmware,in order to have the functions you wanted,so you have to wait until I make it.

But, it wouldn't make much difference: The possibility to "brick" your WIZ will be the same...right?
Well I suppose there is a brick risk once. But if this option was there and I didn't want to use Win2X anymore (reasons could be some incompatibility, a different launcher is released etc) I could just set to original and I could forget that it is even there. Right now I would have to hold R every single boot which would be tedious, or uninstall which is another chance to brick.

Some day in the opening week,we will have an other update of Win2X.
I'd like to announce that in this version I will add(among other changes) a little utility like the INImaker.It will perform an automatic search on the SD,NAND for .gpes and .gpus and the results will be displayed into a list.Then the user will select for each of them where to send it(apps,emus etc) or drop it if a link is not desired.
Any newly created link will then be editable from its respective category window(as it is now).
Any comments would be appreciated as I haven't started its development yet...

chp said:
SONY said:
I suggest that you people don't upgrade.
Uninstall WinX, delete and just start again.
Why is that SONY?
Upgrade is the same as installing,except that you preserve your current user,user settings and links.
I just thought that some of the people above were having problems with the merging of old and new settings and starting fresh would fix/solve their problems.

Back