Win2X : Alternative Frontend

chp said:
causes more CPU cycles.Sorry to tell,but no effect will be implemented that makes Win2X to slowdown and consume more battery energy.
Good work with the skin!I'd like to see it a complete skin and include it in Win2X.(please keep the windows images as the same size as you can).
Thanks!Maybe it`s time to add some preferences to win2x,and give a choice for user,like this alpha blend,and any future battery consume effect?Have you tried with 1bit grid to hide backround?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to add a feature to Win2X that will alert you when the battery is low? I hate it when the Wiz just shuts off in the middle of a game before I get a chance to save.

fett42 said:
Is it possible to add a feature to Win2X that will alert you when the battery is low? I hate it when the Wiz just shuts off in the middle of a game before I get a chance to save.
Win2X alerts you when the battery is low with a message!But if you are running a game,then Win2X is unloaded from memory which means that it can't.
The feature you request should be implemented into the firmware....
But I like the idea of a global warning utility myself,so I will code something...

rorque said:
Thanks!Maybe it`s time to add some preferences to win2x,and give a choice for user,like this alpha blend,and any future battery consume effect?Have you tried with 1bit grid to hide backround?
What is 1bit grid?Sorry but I'm not good with art things....

chp said:
rorque said:
What is 1bit grid?Sorry but I'm not good with art things....
only two colors, black and white for example, one of them is transparent.You can simulate shadows with that.

rorque said:
only two colors, black and white for example, one of them is transparent.You can simulate shadows with that.
I see...Like the "chess" effect...Yes it can be done...I'll see to it...

chp said:
fett42 said:
Win2X alerts you when the battery is low with a message!But if you are running a game,then Win2X is unloaded from memory which means that it can't.
The feature you request should be implemented into the firmware....
But I like the idea of a global warning utility myself,so I will code something...

Cool, that would be extremely useful. Other systems have this feature, I don't see why the Wiz shouldn't too.

fett42 said:
Cool, that would be extremely useful. Other systems have this feature, I don't see why the Wiz shouldn't too.
I have asked myself the same question...But only GPH can answer to this...Anyway...I'll see what can be done but don't promise anything...

rorque said:
You mean like ordered dithering or fill pattern like used on old systems like the Apple II that had very few colors, That looks awful unfortunatly. I would rather have none or pure black instead of that.

chp said:
It is not a code nightmare at all.But it would take some time to implement as it would require much of re-coding and many re-calculations.
It would be the same as writing Win2X from the beginning(almost).And time is really on pressure on me...so I choose to fix and implement more
urgent issues for now.

But in the future you may see windows resizing aswell as pdf and text support(sth I want to do).It depends on Win2X's support and !mostly! on my
free time..!

Ok that does sound like allot of work. If it was only a few lines of code it would have been nice. Maybe in a future version.

Maybe an effect like this? It's a one pixel style checker board. Black squares, red squares are transparent. I used the start menu because the syswin took up a lot of room for the example.

Check.jpg

The non effect

Check2.jpg

chp said:
I think that is what rorque suggested by '1bit grid'.I'll give it a try and if the result is nice,I will include it.
Please, make it with bitmap,16x16 pixels will be nice.

chp said:
rorque said:
Please, make it with bitmap,16x16 pixels will be nice.
You mean to make a 16x16 bitmap and tile it across the screen?
Yes.It`s easy to change shadow color with that.

rorque said:
But why not to create a 320x220 grid and cover the whole desktop with just one blit instead of tiling it?

Hello just a quick post with a few suggestions this time! Perhaps an option to "move" a file with explorer could be impemented, at the moment I have to copy, paste then delete. Also, a desktop link to the explorer would be greatly appreciated (loke the my computer icon on windows!). For the start bar and the start button, I've been using the following - they work quite nicely!

th_Blue.png

th_bottombar.png

th_startbutton.png

TitanUranus said:
Hello just a quick post with a few suggestions this time! Perhaps an option to "move" a file with explorer could be impemented, at the moment I have to copy, paste then delete. Also, a desktop link to the explorer would be greatly appreciated (loke the my computer icon on windows!). For the start bar and the start button, I've been using the following - they work quite nicely!
Hello Titan!
The SideBar has the exactly same option(SD,NAND) but if a direct icon on the desktop is required,then I'll see to it.
Yes,I've been thinking of a "cut" command too.
Hmmm...I have already added a new skin for the next release(Zelda skin with green colors).Maybe I'll add a XP skin too...
Thank you for the suggestions!

chp said:
rorque said:
But why not to create a 320x220 grid and cover the whole desktop with just one blit instead of tiling it?

as you wish.16x16 use less memory, only that.

rorque said:
as you wish.16x16 use less memory, only that.
The memory usage depends on the image's color depth.For a 8bit image the usage will be very limited.But a tile operation will use more CPU cycles regardless the image we use,and will be slower.

Back