Win2X : Alternative Frontend

I can`t wait for new version ;)
you can always send my by email new version, i will put on my server and give a link on forum.

chp said:
raindog said:
Thanks again to chp for his great work, even when the duty calls at his door. ;)

The new version is ready to download? Where?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my disappointing english.
I have uploaded it to openhandhelds.org but it takes some time to update the archive.It will be available though today or tomorrow(at most).
Thank you for your appreciation!
Yea, Honestly I wanted to thank you for all your hard work. I was skeptical about trying this thinking, "hey, I don't need this, it's not that big a deal", that is until I downloaded and installed Win2X. Now I can't imagine my Wiz without it. It's awesome what you are doing and your easily making my favorite handheld even better. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all guys.But don't forget that Win2X is also based on the feedback provided by the users of this forum.Many thanks goes to them for their devoted time and trust on this software!

chp, can we get you to release the source before you take off? Maybe even put it in some source control? Ill create a sourceforge project if you'd like.

Pickle said:
chp, can we get you to release the source before you take off? Maybe even put it in some source control? Ill create a sourceforge project if you'd like.
Yes,I will consider it Pickle.Win2X is not a dead project yet and there are still things I wish to do, so I won't release it yet.
But when I get off the project,I will give its source.I believe it will help other coders in their efforts as well as in compact programming philosophy.

chp said:
Yes,I will consider it Pickle.Win2X is not a dead project yet and there are still things I wish to do, so I won't release it yet.
But when I get off the project,I will give its source.I believe it will help other coders in their efforts as well as in compact programming philosophy.

Thanks for Win2X CHP!

Also thanks for considering the release of the source in the future, it would be awesome!

Stay safe!! B)

chp said:
And as a gift to the WIZ community:

> Added global low-battery warning utility.This will flash your screen when battery level is low,regardless the application you are running at that moment.This gives you enough time to save any progress and poweroff or charge the WIZ.It will flash every 10 seconds until you charge the battery to a safe level.

Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the addition. I can't wait to try it out.

chp said:
DaveC said:
Will this battery monitoring code slow down any apps or cause compatibility issues? Obviously it will need to be running in RAM so could there be conflicts or will it take CPU cycles causing some slow down in CPU intensive apps?

Ps chp, Don't shoot your eye out!
No,it is completely lightweight and safe.
Nothing is free though. If there is another process running I would imagine we could lose a FPS or so in a demanding emu like SNES. I tried this and SNES seemed to stutter a slight bit more in some games. Maybe I am imagining it though (placebo effect?) as it was slight. I remember SquidgeSNES went slower on the GP2X due to battery monitoring. Maybe there could be an option to disable if we find some speed or compatibility issues. We also don't know how this will effect things when the battery ages and is not as strong, maybe it will cut off too soon or something. While this is nice I think there should be an option to disable this just in case.

Thanks for the good work.

DaveC said:
Nothing is free though. If there is another process running I would imagine we could lose a FPS or so in a demanding emu like SNES. I tried this and SNES seemed to stutter a slight bit more in some games. Maybe I am imagining it though (placebo effect?) as it was slight. I remember SquidgeSNES went slower on the GP2X due to battery monitoring. Maybe there could be an option to disable if we find some speed or compatibility issues. We also don't know how this will effect things when the battery ages and is not as strong, maybe it will cut off too soon or something. While this is nice I think there should be an option to disable this just in case.

The monitoring code needs no much of CPU cycles nor much of RAM,so it will not slowdown anything(I have tried it with PocketSNES at 790Mhz with no slowdown at all).

[/quote]
This was a bug of version 2.2 but is was fixed in version 2.3 . What version had you installed when this happened?

OK,I just checked it out...I did a logical mistake rendering the fixing code unusable.I have to apologise.
Uploading the fixed version(2.4.1) now.
Thank you for your statement!
[/quote]

Thanks your you 24/7 technical support!

Edited: IMHO, you should use another way to upload the releases. Now, the current version in OpenHandHelds is the 2.3, from 26 January.

The new version is now available in open handhelds. I just downloaded but i miss the upgrade option, and the readme doc is from 2.0 version. Is that correct?

Edit:

Now i know what autoinstaller means, everything is ok. Sorry.

Will support Win2X multilenguage? I would like to help translating the application into Spanish. It isn't a big thing, but I want to do something for the community.
Saludos!

chp said:
DaveC said:

The monitoring code needs no much of CPU cycles nor much of RAM,so it will not slowdown anything(I have tried it with PocketSNES at 790Mhz with no slowdown at all).
Well at 790 I suppose any effects will be minimised. If you run at normal speeds (My wiz can't even do 790 without locking up) the effect is greater. I know if you are on the edge you may lose a FPS or so and to me it wouldn't be worth it. Then there may be cases where some apps current or future won't tolerate another task running and may cause errors, glitches or crashes. To be on the safe side there should be an option to shut this off just in case s you never know. Never assume anything. What if an app runs slower or crashes in the future because of this and you are no longer supporting it? Then the only other choice is to uninstall. The better choice of course is to keep using Win2X and just toggle off the battery monitoring background task.

I released Win2X version 2.4.2

> Fixed a bug with the startmenu
> Added auto-uninstaller application

Now uninstalling Win2X, also uninstalls completely the battery warning utility(hope you are happy now DaveC).

I am doing a skin but i don't know how to do for put it on my Wiz. Any tutorial?

I love the idea of the flashing battery, though an option to turn it on/off would be sensible I guess. I haven't updated to the newer version yet, it wasn't on the archive in time for my train journey. I'll wait till 2.4.2 is up. I did have another idea I was going to share, but events have 'caused me to forget what it was.

Once you learn those commando skills in national service can I hire you to come round and rip the heads off the buggers who've burgled my house! Just came home last nice to find the back door smashed in and they'd ripped out my brand new heating boiler. No heating and only liquid nitrogen as a substitute for running water makes for a very cold house. I turned my freezer on and watched it struggling to bring it's temperature up to -18C. :eek:

TitanUranus said:
I love the idea of the flashing battery, though an option to turn it on/off would be sensible I guess. I haven't updated to the newer version yet, it wasn't on the archive in time for my train journey. I'll wait till 2.4.2 is up. I did have another idea I was going to share, but events have 'caused me to forget what it was.

Once you learn those commando skills in national service can I hire you to come round and rip the heads off the buggers who've burgled my house! Just came home last nice to find the back door smashed in and they'd ripped out my brand new heating boiler. No heating and only liquid nitrogen as a substitute for running water makes for a very cold house. I turned my freezer on and watched it struggling to bring it's temperature up to -18C. :eek:
I don't have much time left,so it is a little rush work.Version 2.4.2 is already up...
Really sorry about your house...Sadly, there is no much we can do,except praying not to be home ourselves,when they break in... :angry:

Back