Win2X : Alternative Frontend

i have a idea, can you add display icon name as description when are no description in icon?And i notice strange battery icon behavior, it`s change every time i change position in start menu.

Hi Everyone,

No offense to chp's original theme, but I took a swing at Photoshop-ing together a Vista theme for the Win2x fronted. I'll link you to my ImageShack site if anyone would like to use it - so far it consists of the startbutton, bottombar, and wallpaper. I just replace the default images in the "Blue" theme folder and re-install Win2x. I was quite pleased with how it turned-out so I thought I'd share.

startbuttond.png

By kart_racer3 at 2010-02-05

bottombar.png

kart_racer3 said:
Hi Everyone,

No offense to chp's original theme, but I took a swing at Photoshop-ing together a Vista theme for the Win2x fronted. I'll link you to my ImageShack site if anyone would like to use it - so far it consists of the startbutton, bottombar, and wallpaper. I just replace the default images in the "Blue" theme folder and re-install Win2x. I was quite pleased with how it turned-out so I thought I'd share.

startbuttond.png

bottombar.png

nice one ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed weird sound behavior in 2.4.2. The left channel is off in win2x and is either not present in some games/apps, or is marginally quieter than the right one. Affected games/apps I noticed so far: Doom, GMUplayer, Win2x itself (may be others, but I haven't checked). The sound returns to normal if you uninstall Win2X. Does anybody have that too?

SONY said:
Yes, but it doesn't bother me too much, because chp has done a tonne of work already, and deserves a rest, imho.
Thank you SONY.Tomorrow I'm leaving and this is my last night at home.I should be sleeping now,but...I need a favor first...
Could you check for me and see if this fixes the above sound issue please?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P246DKTF

Oh yeah Sony... the army is notorious for giving it's recruits a nice relaxing break from the toughness of normal life. I'm sure CHP will be happily sitting in his bermuda shorts on his sun lounger - feet up, cocktail glass in hand (with obligatory mini umbrella) listening to Hawiian guitars and thanking his lucky stars he doesn't have to bother himself with debugging bits of Win2X. If you're reading this CHP, I really hope it's not as crappy as I think it might be.

TitanUranus said:
Oh yeah Sony... the army is notorious for giving it's recruits a nice relaxing break from the toughness of normal life. I'm sure CHP will be happily sitting in his bermuda shorts on his sun lounger - feet up, cocktail glass in hand (with obligatory mini umbrella) listening to Hawiian guitars and thanking his lucky stars he doesn't have to bother himself with debugging bits of Win2X. If you're reading this CHP, I really hope it's not as crappy as I think it might be.
What are you suggesting?

Just suggesting it's probably not going to be much of a break for you. That you'd probably rather be working on Win2x and eating good food than going on long marches and training sessions. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope so - I hope you enjoy it. It's not my kind of thing and I'd really be hacked off and difficult if I was forced to do something I didn't choose to, and I'm genuinely sorry for anyone who's put in that kind of position unless of course it's a kind of punishment. You deserve to be rewarded CHP, not punished.

TitanUranus said:
Just suggesting it's probably not going to be much of a break for you. That you'd probably rather be working on Win2x and eating good food than going on long marches and training sessions. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope so - I hope you enjoy it. It's not my kind of thing and I'd really be hacked off and difficult if I was forced to do something I didn't choose to, and I'm genuinely sorry for anyone who's put in that kind of position unless of course it's a kind of punishment. You deserve to be rewarded CHP, not punished.
You are right!Unfortunately I can't do anything(as all the others in my age) so as we say here:"If you can't avoid it,just enjoy it!" :unsure:
I surely prefer to be working on Win2X and to say the truth...I want to get involved in other projects as well...if I had the time....
Anyway I really thank you...
Hope to see you back again and I hope to find changes and new programs for the WIZ when I'm back...

chp said:
SONY said:
Yes, but it doesn't bother me too much, because chp has done a tonne of work already, and deserves a rest, imho.
Thank you SONY.Tomorrow I'm leaving and this is my last night at home.I should be sleeping now,but...I need a favor first...
Could you check for me and see if this fixes the above sound issue please?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P246DKTF

First Off...
CHP best of luck... "Give'em Hell"...

The above download, doesn't seem to fix the problem entirely...
It's not as bad as it was...
But on occasionally GMU it still seems to be garbling the music in the right channel.
It's not a real issue to me. I had noticed it before, but it didn't bother me much.
As it is now, I doubt it will bother many at all. Except those who are demanding the highest fidelity.
I only tested it on GMU, using songs I noticed had trouble with v2.4.2...
Emulators may still have some issues.

But seriously, sign and seal it.
Have a good night sleep... And come back soon...
-DEJ

One note, I really wish you'd release the source... If only to someone you trust.
I suggest Pickle, tho who knows if he'd want to maintain it.
Good Luck

First of all I completely missed the discussion about the sound issue, lol. I find this funny only because I thought there was something wrong with the sound on my new Wiz, which I got as a replacement for one that went bad. I automatically installed Win2X first before doing anything else.

Anyway, I will say that I have only tested two games, Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles and also OpenBOR. Both have sound restored to the left speaker. So far the fix seems to have worked. If only there was someway to fix the non-responsive R-button on this new Wiz. My quick fix is fine for now, but I may have to send this one back. The quick fix is putting tape over the R-button, which makes it so I don't have to press down twice as hard as it should be. <_<

OK...Leaving in a few moments...
Thank you -DEJ for your help!I uploaded version 2.4.3 for partially fixing this sound issue.
I wish I could do some more...
Anyway Thank you all! and see you around! ... :)

A billion thank you's, chp. We love you and all the work that you have done with your awesome Win2X : Alternative Frontend. B)

All the best, mate. Don't get killed, ok.

See you in the future. :wiz:

GardeningGarf%7Eslsa_06_created%7ETHANK_YOU7.gif

We should all download and play 1 minute of "Cannon Fodder" in tribute to CHP...

Thanks for all your hard work chp. :)
I see the 2.4.3 update is taking forever to appear on the archive (as usual!)
Cheers, Neil

Edit: v2.4.3 is now up on the archive. :) (Here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,7,286 )

jarek72 said:
Hello everyone
I made a skin for Win2x. It is a remodeled Blue skin.

nahled.JPG

Link

Liked how the theme looked like , cheers , :)

Chp, even though I'm assuming you have already left, you have my best wishes and thanks.

Anyways, has anybody noticed issues with the latest Win2x running on the latest 1.2.1 firmware? I ran a clean install of Win2x and everything is working fine except the links that forward you back to the original menu. No matter which link I click I just get a frozen black screen. I hope chp decided to release the source to someone while he is gone so this project doesn't die.

I've started on a complete re-skin that mimics the style of Windows 95. There are still several windows and other graphics that need to be changed, but if you want to try it out, then just tell me.

Here are some previews, more to come soon!

5ddadb704a.png

b32db429fb.png

233456cab2.png

And you thought Windows would never run on the Wiz! ;)

Back