Win2X : Alternative Frontend

Love it ! Especially running on an open source linux based Wiz. I still have not tried Win2x.

I hope M$ though doesn't get all uppity about it with their copyrights. I doubt they will like their name on the splash screen and the Windows 95 name.

Post us a link soon to the prototype before they get wind of it ...

Well, no one's yet sent the boys round to duff me up for my XP screen/bar that I uploaded a few weeks ago. Microsoft have bigger fish to fry - besides, it's free advertising for them!

Why don't I just invite my mate Bill (that's Mr Gates to you) round for a cup of tea and ask him in a civilised manner if he minds awfully if we rip off some of his ideas? He's already got more money than the entire developed world so why he'd care I don't know.

Still Mr Gates, if you're reading this the offer of that cup of tea and a chat is still available... by the way can I borrow a couple of trillion $ till the economy recovers?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the beta version - I'll beta test it for you when I'm banged up for copyright infringment :lol:

Very nice skins guys, are they replacements or additions to the 3 already included?

An Amiga OS4 one would be cool too.. hint hint ;)

Well, I thought I would be posting a beta version, but I got so involved I finished it completely. Almost every icon, window, and button has been changed. There is only one png I haven't changed, and if someone discovers it, then I MIGHT change it too. Any suggestions/requests for other images will gladly be accepted!

Anyway, enjoy:
preview.png

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,50,322

TitanUranus said:
Top quality chickendung. Thanks a lot.
Thank You! My Wiz got a huge thick green line going across the screen, though, so not wanting to bother with a refund or a replacement, I took it apart just for kicks and than carved a hole into the Pollux chip (don't ask me why). I really don't care that it broke, though. I was never impressed by the shoddy quality of the grainy screen, the dpad, and the diagonal tearing.

I'll be fine with just a Pandora. ;)

Anyway, If you still want anything changed on the skin, I can do it and you can test it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
chickendung said:
TitanUranus said:
Thank You! My Wiz got a huge thick green line going across the screen, though, so not wanting to bother with a refund or a replacement, I took it apart just for kicks and than carved a hole into the Pollux chip (don't ask me why). I really don't care that it broke, though. I was never impressed by the shoddy quality of the grainy screen, the dpad, and the diagonal tearing.

Anyway, If you still want anything changed on the skin, I can do it and you can test it for me.

Sorry you got so frustrated. My kids have bounced the Wizs off the wall and the floor and all I've had to do is resolder/resupport the switches. The screens have survived with none of the problems people constantly report on this forum. I guess we just got some good OLED screens.

I saw a major company (Sony ?) recently dropped producing and developing OLED TV's. Well over $2000 for an 11" TV wouldn't be worth it to me either.

Thanks for the front end. It's the first one I tried out and like it very much.

Misty

P.S. Also on the "list" for a Pandora soon.

Hmm - the only minor thing I'd say that would make the skin better would be to just increase the size of the "start" button a notch, it's something I did when doing my XP bar, in order for it to look good on the wiz it needed very slight magnification.

Horrible idea - torturing a wiz to death all because of a green line! I'd try and nurse mine back to health - more chance of that than a Pandora turning up!

TitanUranus said:
Hmm - the only minor thing I'd say that would make the skin better would be to just increase the size of the "start" button a notch, it's something I did when doing my XP bar, in order for it to look good on the wiz it needed very slight magnification.

Horrible idea - torturing a wiz to death all because of a green line! I'd try and nurse mine back to health - more chance of that than a Pandora turning up!
It was unusable with such an eyesore, and there was no way I was going to be able to fix it. There's more chance of a Pandora turning up than me getting the damn screen fixed. I do not like the Wiz, and that's why I don't care.

Anyway, let's move on. The start button was re-sized several times. I used to have it even smaller, and the size I finally landed on was the best I could get without making the start text and logo illegible.

mystique said:
chickendung said:
TitanUranus said:

Sorry you got so frustrated. My kids have bounced the Wizs off the wall and the floor and all I've had to do is resolder/resupport the switches. The screens have survived with none of the problems people constantly report on this forum. I guess we just got some good OLED screens.

I saw a major company (Sony ?) recently dropped producing and developing OLED TV's. Well over $2000 for an 11" TV wouldn't be worth it to me either.

Thanks for the front end. It's the first one I tried out and like it very much.

Misty

P.S. Also on the "list" for a Pandora soon.
I'm curious if there were some bad OLED screens in certain Wiz's. Everyone else seems to absolutely love the quality of it, but all I see are washed out, grainy colors and scanlines with certain colors. In other words, I wont be buying anything with an OLED screen again.

Hey folks.

Still loving Win2x. My younger cousin got a Wiz for his birthday and I immediately installed the latest version of Win2x for him. He loved it at first, but we started having problems almost immediately. Sometimes, when we exit out of a game, the screen will go black. When we restart the Wiz, it goes to the loading screen, and then goes black. This happens with or without the SD card in the slot. It will also happen sometimes just when we're starting up the Wiz. Loading screen, black screen -- and flashing the SD seems to be only thing that fixes it.

I'm not positive it's Win2x that's causing this, but it never happens when we're just using the GPH front-end. Any ideas?

RocketNumber09 said:
Hey folks.

Still loving Win2x. My younger cousin got a Wiz for his birthday and I immediately installed the latest version of Win2x for him. He loved it at first, but we started having problems almost immediately. Sometimes, when we exit out of a game, the screen will go black. When we restart the Wiz, it goes to the loading screen, and then goes black. This happens with or without the SD card in the slot. It will also happen sometimes just when we're starting up the Wiz. Loading screen, black screen -- and flashing the SD seems to be only thing that fixes it.

I'm not positive it's Win2x that's causing this, but it never happens when we're just using the GPH front-end. Any ideas?

for all fixes you must wait, Chp i still in army, but maybe we can help you without him.Did you install win2x, or just run it from SD?What firmware you have.It`s clean win2x instalation?And finally, with what games/apps/emus you have problems?

rorque said:
RocketNumber09 said:
Hey folks.

for all fixes you must wait, Chp i still in army, but maybe we can help you without him.Did you install win2x, or just run it from SD?What firmware you have.It`s clean win2x instalation?And finally, with what games/apps/emus you have problems?

Win2x is installed on the SD. The firmware is as it came. Nothing custom. And it seems like the NESemu may be having the most problems. I appreciate any help.

RocketNumber09 said:
Win2x is installed on the SD. The firmware is as it came. Nothing custom. And it seems like the NESemu may be having the most problems. I appreciate any help.
Hey,guys!Long time no see...

RocketNumber09, if Win2X is installed on your SD,then it wouldn't be your main frontend...How goes that?
Do you still have access to GPH's frontend or not at all?
If you don't then here's my advice: Download and flash the latest firmware,then install Win2X on NAND...
Otherwise,in case you have access in the original frontend then run "uninstall.gpe" and make a fresh installation of Win2X.

Hope this helps you.

chp said:
RocketNumber09 said:
Hey,guys!Long time no see...

RocketNumber09, if Win2X is installed on your SD,then it wouldn't be your main frontend...How goes that?
Do you still have access to GPH's frontend or not at all?
If you don't then here's my advice: Download and flash the latest firmware,then install Win2X on NAND...
Otherwise,in case you have access in the original frontend then run "uninstall.gpe" and make a fresh installation of Win2X.

Hope this helps you.

are you back Chp?

Back