Wikipedia shutting down for 1 day?

Liberapedia... looks a lot like a joke. The way stuff is written in there reminds me a lot of Uncyclopedia. I think it's just a parody of Conservapedia. There's even links to Conservapedia all over the place.

I think some of it is exaggerated or even outright sarcastic, but a lot of it isn't. The Stealth Parody node kinda touches on that.

The node on "God" for instance reads a lot more like something from ED than Uncyclopedia. It's hard to read it and think that the person doesn't really mean it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The battle may have been won, but the war has only just begun.

The important thing is not only to force the entertainment industries to "Get With The Times" but to unseat the maniacs in Government who they have in their pocket so that this sort of thing can't continue to happen.

When chasing imaginary lost economy, based upon figures which have been proven countless times to be utter hogwash, is more important than basic needs such as Healthcare and Education... then America is truly fucked up and needs serious reform.

People don't burn or eat the money they don't spend on entertainment, they spend it elsewhere in the economy. I'd say that the entertainment industry is pretty much at saturation point, and should be the last place any sane person would look for job creation. They have, as I've said, only room to go down: fewer jobs as distribution models collapse under the weight of the internet.

It's all farcical, and treating this "win" as a reason to stop shouting about the disturbing fact that SOPA and PIPA even got this far would be a grave mistake.

The SOPA bill is officially dead. Now to disarm the PIPA bomb.
The battle is won, but the war certainly isn't over. I can easily imagine more legislation being made in the future, and DMCA still gives them more control than they really should have....

Edit: Blah, Gadgetoid beat my response by a minute.

[derail]

Edit: Blah, Gadgetoid beat my response by a minute.
Well, depending on the forum's rounding rules, it could be much less that that [/derail]

Haha! Doesn't matter who beat who, it's refreshing to know that there's a consensus of opinion amongst the free thinking denizens of the internet that shit is crazy wrong.

Glad to hear at least one bill is dead. I am also glad to read the following quote from the European Commissioner for Digital Agenda.

Glad the tide is turning on SOPA: don't need bad legislation when we should be safeguarding the benefits of an open internet. Internet Regulation needs to be effective and proportionate.
At least some politicians maintain their sanity.

Glad to hear at least one bill is dead. I am also glad to read the following quote from the European Commissioner for Digital Agenda.

Glad the tide is turning on SOPA: don't need bad legislation when we should be safeguarding the benefits of an open internet. Internet Regulation needs to be effective and proportionate.
At least some politicians maintain their sanity.

...The sanity to avoid computing matters they don't understand. I'm fine with those who don't understand computing or the internet, as long as they don't make decisions about it for everyone else.

SOPA's little brother to be passed in Canada: http://www.ccer.ca/speakout/

Bill C-11 makes things like copying your CD to your MP3 player and unlocking your phone in order to switch carriers illegal, among many other things as well.

And of course it doesn't actually do anything to prevent piracy, it just means that people who were behaving perfectly innocently are now criminals.

All Canadians (and I know there's at least 3 more of you here) need to contact their MP as soon as possible and voice your concerns over this. No company should tell me how or when to enjoy the media that I have legally purchased.

Wow. If this keeps happening I can see emulation being illegal in the near future. That is a future I do not want to live in :(

Jesus of ****ing Nazereth. The media corporations just won't stop until they've passed laws requiring everyone to buy their shit or face jail time for... not being a good consumer, or something.

Over the last 20 years, you've had politicians turning their jobs into careers. They see themselves being politicians until they retire and are protecting their job as much as anyone else would try to protect their own job.

The solution is simple: no politician shall serve for more than two consecutive terms. Remove the career politicians. Force them to create a country that they would be happy to return to because at the end of their service they have no choice but to return to it.

Over the last 20 years, you've had politicians turning their jobs into careers. They see themselves being politicians until they retire and are protecting their job as much as anyone else would try to protect their own job.

The solution is simple: no politician shall serve for more than two consecutive terms. Remove the career politicians. Force them to create a country that they would be happy to return to because at the end of their service they have no choice but to return to it.
Although one problem we face is the way that managers etc are paid far more than their fair share. If managers and politicians are the same sort of people, that problem would get worse, if anything.

All Canadians (and I know there's at least 3 more of you here) need to contact their MP as soon as possible and voice your concerns over this. No company should tell me how or when to enjoy the media that I have legally purchased.
Done some days ago, I wont hold my breath though. (we need a confidence vote xD)

Back