Wikipedia shutting down for 1 day?

Bahaha, I've never seen Conservapedia before, but it looks like it's built by the completely asinine arguments of a 15 year old kid.

It's awful, but so is Liberpedia ;p

At least Conservapedia looks decent. Just looked up Liberpedia, it looks like a middle school student threw it together with a template from Microsoft Word.

Actually, looking deeper, Liberpedia doesn't really have any content either! No pages on "republican", "democrat", "anarchy", "libertarian", "free-market", heck, doesn't seem to have ANYTHING except stubs on random organizations.

I guess no one wants a Libertarian encyclopedia. Maybe because they don't have a Fox News equivalent. (It is supposed to be a Libertarian encyclopedia, right? That's what it says at the top.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Writing more, and more, and more, and more. I have to get it out of my head and onto paper. The whole situation frustrates the shit out of me, it's complete and total insanity. The makings of another burst bubble and the signs of another inevitable and catastrophic recession.

It really isthat serious. The mind boggles long, long before you can get a grip on a single tenth of one percent of the number of pies the Movie Industry has its fingers in.

It's a brilliant article - many points I agree with, there. I'll be going back later to read the rest of the additions. (I guess you'll be writing about the burst-bubble/recession angle, too?)

You might want to read Clayton Christensen's stuff about Disruptive Innovation, incidentally - it's relevant in some ways to the precarious "the only way is down" position that you mention the movie industry being in.

(By the by, I saw the "Hoy!" in the chat box, but I wasn't logged in - I've no idea who "Anonymous User 2" was. :p )

As much as I hate to agree with Madox, especially since that time I was accused of being him, he raised a good point: this isn't the first poorly written anti-piracy bill, it isn't going to be the last. Winning the battle has done nothing to stem the tides of war. Nothing has changed, the people in charge are still the wrong people. The only thing to be done is to remember this and other poorly written bills come election day and vote accordingly. Wish I could participate, but such a matter is entirely up to the US, and I'm afraid enough people will be lax enough to forget the mistakes of the past.

Haha... "Anonymous"... almost too apt. Although I wouldn't want to be associated with any activities against SOPA that require anonymity. The only stance is public, vocal and agressive and against it in every way.

I've already commented for a Strategy Informer article, and one for the EDP:

http://t.co/hq8x6Lbf

http://www.edp24.co...._down_1_1180795

Woah. I only just found out that MegaUpload were hit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16642369

It's fair to say that an overwhelming majority of their content was probably thinly veiled pirated material of some form or another in password protected, compressed and/or split files.

The scary part is this: "The US Justice Department said that Megaupload's two co-founders Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz, and Mathias Ortmann were arrested in Auckland, New Zealand along with two other employees of the business at the request of US officials."

We didn't need more proof that SOPA posed a threat to people globally, but here it is. People are already frequently being kidnapped from their countries by the US government, and their own Governments are doing little to nothing to prevent it.

Woah. I only just found out that MegaUpload were hit: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-16642369

It's fair to say that an overwhelming majority of their content was probably thinly veiled pirated material of some form or another in password protected, compressed and/or split files.

The scary part is this: "The US Justice Department said that Megaupload's two co-founders Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz, and Mathias Ortmann were arrested in Auckland, New Zealand along with two other employees of the business at the request of US officials."

Holy shit!

To be fair, MegaUpload was an absolute cesspit of piracy. Their name is practically synonymous with the process. Whilst they may have hosted some legitimate content, I'd reckon that gigabyte for gigabyte they probably hosted 1000% more pirated material than legitimate.

And they did little to nothing to prevent it.

Their compliance with Takedown requests is exactly the sort of flaunting of the law that SOPA seeks to combat. Takedown requests are one thing, but when you know that the cornerstone of your business is piracy, observing them and doing nothing more is practically an insult to content owners.

It's because of sites like this that things like SOPA are even in consideration- and they are as much to blame as the MPAA in reality.

Still, it's sad that so much grey-area content went down with Megaupload ( don't pretend you know nothing of the ROMs I'm talking about! ). And positively terrifying that they can be arrested in a country where the laws in question weren't even formulated.

Finally, what the hell do they need SOPA for if they can take down these sites, anyway?

To take them down faster. Apparently this has been a years long lawsuit. SOPA wants to add a kill switch that would cause things to be shut down as part of the investigation on suspicion of piracy, not long after they've "successfully" proven "beyond a doubt" of piracy.

SOPA wants to add a kill switch that would cause things to be shut down as part of the investigation on suspicion of piracy, not long after they've "successfully" proven "beyond a doubt" of piracy.

Truth. And that is exactly why SOPA is wrong, wrong, wrong! It's like passing legislation to hang people on suspicion of murder, just in case they might turn out to actually be murderers.

Liberapedia... looks a lot like a joke. The way stuff is written in there reminds me a lot of Uncyclopedia. I think it's just a parody of Conservapedia. There's even links to Conservapedia all over the place.

We didn't need more proof that SOPA posed a threat to people globally, but here it is. People are already frequently being kidnapped from their countries by the US government, and their own Governments are doing little to nothing to prevent it.
This seems to be related, too. Evidently the laws (and one-sided extradition treaty) already exist to deal with piracy stuff in the way these industries seem to want to handle it, so why is there any need for SOPA/PIPA at all, exactly?

This seems to be related, too. Evidently the laws (and one-sided extradition treaty) already exist to deal with piracy stuff in the way these industries seem to want to handle it, so why is there any need for SOPA/PIPA at all, exactly?
So web site saying that their last "star" is shitty can be shut down in a minut. All they will need to do is asking it to be shutdown without even having to show a proof of the copyright infringment.

SOPA want to kill free speech. All the website without a lot of money (to pay the lawyer needed to keep the website up, while keeping legal) will need to do auto-censure to a greater level than you can even imagine.

Maybe forums will need a pay to post feature... (so they can get enough maney to pay the lawyer)

Because SOPA/PIPA isn't about protecting copyright. It provably does absolutely nothing to stop piracy. I am 100% certain that the MPAA and RIAA are not so stupid as to actually believe these will make a dent in piracy. What it will give them the ability to do is shut down potentially competing and legitimate businesses on spurious claims.

These are the only two options: either the groups that helped draft the bills are complete and total morons who quite literally understand less about the internet than my 5 year old niece, or they know exactly what they are doing and they're lying about their intentions. I have utmost faith that it is the latter.

Ah, that's a good point. "Those revealing documents are our copyright. BANNED FROM INTERNETS!"

Back