Wii A Wii Bit Underpowered ?

dockthepod posted on Sep 27 2006 at 01:24 PM said:
And - for Treasure-type games... you don't need to tap into the SPUs. Those are only required if you really want to push things forward and make something that requires a lot of non-graphics computations (buzzword "next-gen").
Hrm? Played much of their stuff? Treasure games are notorious for squeezing every drop of performance out of a console. Their games are often a dying machine's send-off. Look at Gunstar Super Heroes for GBA that just came out fairly recently. The kind of results they got from the GBA are unbelievable-- they outclassed any other GBA game, bar none in terms of graphics and gameplay intensity, just as they did with the original back on the MD/Genesis. You've said you're done though-- so, so am I. :)

Vimacs said:
The developers dont even need to mess much with the spu's, did you ever hear of middleware?
Lets take speedtree or ageia physx, you can just throw them ion thair own spu and have fun, without messing with it yourself.
Or you just license the unreal engine 3, even less work for you and allready good optimized to take advantage of the spu's.
There's a line between what you can do with an API, and what you need to do personally. Working with a series of coprocessors like that generally requires a more personal touch for good performance. Things like PhysX are only working with one processor, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This all goes over my head.

But I still say that so many of us are looking forward to the Wii because it is SOMETHING DIFFERENT! Improved graphics are just something old getting better. But playing Wii sports could be something new, and that is what turns me to the Wii.

I hope that all three consoles do well, I can't understand why DCGM is such an arsy fan boy these days. Just because you don't like your DS, others do (obviously). I know it's your IMO, but if you really are a gamer then keep your mind open. I know you will reply telling me that you will be getting a WIi, but I don't have parents with pockets that deep. I have a wife and Kid, I cannae afford a PS3 at launch. The Wii is affordable, new and the games look to be simply more interesting for me, an old jaded gamer than the line up of photo realistic firt person shooters than the other two are offering!

I just want to keep an open mind, but look forward to something new and fun. I have no regard for numbers, and I reckon most people feel the same!

lubidog posted on Sep 28 2006 at 10:22 AM said:
I still say that so many of us are looking forward to the Wii because it is SOMETHING DIFFERENT! Improved graphics are just something old getting better. But playing Wii sports could be something new, and that is what turns me to the Wii.
Thats whats its all about really. Isnt it? Frankly I think everyone that likes to argue about hardware should take a step or two back and just look around. I mean take look at the website we're on for a start.

dockthepod posted on Sep 27 2006 at 08:24 PM said:
It's probably not FMV, unless maybe they got everybody really really stoned and confused.
You can get some good sh*t at those shows... or so I hear...
*CoughCough*

lubidog said:
I still say that so many of us are looking forward to the Wii because it is SOMETHING DIFFERENT! Improved graphics are just something old getting better. But playing Wii sports could be something new, and that is what turns me to the Wii.
Thats whats its all about really. Isnt it? Frankly I think everyone that likes to argue about hardware should take a step or two back and just look around. I mean take look at the website we're on for a start.
Don't mind me, I just love a good hardware argument ... I agree graphics take backseat to gameplay. And the figurative backseat is at the very far end of a very long bus. And gameplay is driving.

ste_167 posted on Sep 28 2006 at 05:44 PM said:
An enjoyable read.

It has to be said the PS3 is the uglyist machine since the original Xbox. It looks worse than the NES even.

Here's a great size comparison pic.
Dont forget that the ps3 has the psu build in while the 3sucksti has the big ugly power brick.

PokeParadox posted on Oct 5 2006 at 03:26 AM said:
No that would BE shit, as you would have one big company with no competition.

No variety,
No reason to lower the prices.
No Choice...
right, my bad, no variety ;)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 5 2006 at 03:19 PM said:
PokeParadox posted on Oct 5 2006 at 03:26 AM said:
No that would BE shit, as you would have one big company with no competition.

No variety,
No reason to lower the prices.
No Choice...
right, my bad, no variety ;)
[cough] PC [/cough]

PC gamers are a growing problem in my area. They go around lol-ing in the middle of the night and their constant upgrade habbit attracts all kinds of lowlife scum to the area, I mean, just the other day I found a PC World store just 100 yards from a school. It's a matter of time before a child finds an empty static proof bag in the greens and picks it up. How do we explain to little Sanjay's mother that we could have stopped this sooner?

evol posted on Oct 4 2006 at 12:25 PM said:
The MK2 was a GP2X with some of the problems removed-- the Wii has the same basic design as the GameCube but uses drastically more powerful versions of the hardware. The CPU is still PowerPC and compatible with the original but is enormously faster. The GPU is of the same variety and API-compatible but much more powerful with more integrated VRAM. There's more memory available and the system features much more extremely high-speed 1T SRAM. Also, rendering frames in Non-HD resolutions (480px tall, not 720 or 1080) means higher performance and framerates for graphically intense games. Most people have no HDTV anyway.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 4 2006 at 05:31 PM said:
Draco posted on Oct 4 2006 at 06:31 PM said:
wow, this console war is becoming really dirty-dog :(.
It's not dirty, it's just information the developer happened to release about differences between versions. And it's true, the 360 is much easier to write multithreaded code for due to its 3 cores in SMP, not the far-more-complex and difficult-to-manage arrangement in the PS3. Processor-intensive operations will likely be faster in general in 360 titles since the CPU is so much easier on developers.

Back