Wii A Wii Bit Underpowered ?

Fishbong posted on Oct 6 2006 at 02:16 PM said:
If by cheaper you mean inferior, you are wrong.

Nah, I mean that (at least in the US) PC games tend to be $10-$20 cheaper than their console counterparts. I don't know if this holds true everywhere.

The only consoles I own are dreamcast and gp2x, I'm not much of a console gamer really.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a demonstration the other day in a shopping centre in melbourne. The tennis game looked really fun. Wario ware was a bit meh and Zelda looked friggin' amazing. </2 cents>

Epicenter posted on Sep 27 2006 at 04:45 AM said:
DaveC said:
I don't care how good or bad the CPU in the Wii is. The fact that you play games by flailing your arms around like a fag, on a low res flickery NTSC TV is enough to keep me away from it.
What does the resolution have to do with the TV being 'flickery'? It sounds like you need a TV that's just made better-- I don't have any 480-line displays that 'flicker'. That's not an issue with NTSC, either. Frankly, as far as consoles are concerned for me, HD be damned entirely. When I want to see HD I'll use my PC, which has been displaying 1024 lines of vertical resolution for damn near a decade now.

If the TV that you are using is low-def then there definatly IS flicker. It is called "interlace" :rolleyes: You know when the screen is painted by doing every other line and interlacing it together to form an image. If you have a display that does progressive then chances are it does high-def too. If it does then you may as well get the higher resolution offered by it.

DaveC said:
I don't care how good or bad the CPU in the Wii is. The fact that you play games by flailing your arms around like a fag, on a low res flickery NTSC TV is enough to keep me away from it.
What does the resolution have to do with the TV being 'flickery'? It sounds like you need a TV that's just made better-- I don't have any 480-line displays that 'flicker'. That's not an issue with NTSC, either. Frankly, as far as consoles are concerned for me, HD be damned entirely. When I want to see HD I'll use my PC, which has been displaying 1024 lines of vertical resolution for damn near a decade now.

If the TV that you are using is low-def then there definatly IS flicker. It is called "interlace" :rolleyes: You know when the screen is painted by doing every other line and interlacing it together to form an image. If you have a display that does progressive then chances are it does high-def too. If it does then you may as well get the higher resolution offered by it.
I'm yet to meet someone who finds an interlaced TV flickery. Maybe you need to buy better TVs. And if you think I don't know what interlacing is, you're sadly fucking mistaken. :rolleyes:

As I understood it the wii supports 480p anyway. Am I mistaken?

In any case, I have seen flickery interlacing, but it was always on a cheap tv. On a half-decent tv I can't see any interlace flicker.

Fitty dollars, they lost their edge. They shouldn't have gone over $30-35.

- Alex

I doubt every game is $50. I doubt most of them are that high, even... Either way, when you don't need to spend $699 on the console, the game prices are more appealing. Most DS games are $30-$50 here in Japan, so I'm not exactly surprised. Games have never really been cheap.

DaveC said:

First off, interlacing has nothing to do with flickering.
Also, the Wii will support Progressive scan.
And last, you are an idiot.

The reason for the controller being so expensive is that where as on other consoles, the technology is in the actual console, the Wii has to rely on the technology which is in the remote and therefore the price is higher in the way that the PS3 is more expensive because of the technology in it.

First off, interlacing has nothing to do with flickering.
Also, the Wii will support Progressive scan.
And last, you are an idiot.

Interlace has everything to do with flickering on a standard NTSC CRT TV.
Last, you are the idiot.

Last, you are the idiot.

No, daveC, I often agree with you on technical matters but you are wrong on this one. A cheap TV has everything to do with flickering, interlacing has nothing to do with it.

Last, you are the idiot.

No, daveC, I often agree with you on technical matters but you are wrong on this one. A cheap TV has everything to do with flickering, interlacing has nothing to do with it.

No you are wrong. I have seen it on everything from $1000 Sony PVM 2030 monitors, to Amiga monitors. It is a KNOWN fact. You obviously never owned an Amiga either. Newer progressive scan LCD/plasma HDTVs don't show this, they scan at a higher frequency so you do not notice it anymore. New HDTVs will upconvert all signals even non-progressive interlaced to their native format, so you will not notice it there either. It is not because interlace doesn't produce flicker it is because newer sets hide it through upconversion and scan buffers.

You don't notice flicker with HDTV interlaced images (such as 1080i) because they are twice the refresh rate of the old NTSC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace

"interlace can improve the resolution of still images, it can cause flicker and various kinds of distortion"

I suppose they are wrong too? Google "interlace flicker" as well.

I own several standard definition interlaced TVs. Only one of them has noticable flicker.

In any case this is a stupid argument because the Wii supports progressive scan output. <_<

I own several standard definition interlaced TVs. Only one of them has noticable flicker.

In any case this is a stupid argument because the Wii supports progressive scan output. <_<

The flicker is mostly noticeable in some colors/patterns too. It is real bad if you have alternating horizontal light and dark high contrast colors.

Yeah the Wii has progressive. If you have a progressive set it is most probably HD and higher resolution too. There are not too many 480P but low def sets around. That brings me to the other point that is is lame that the wii doesn't support HD, at least 720P, even the Xbox 1 did that on some games.

I saw the Wii in a demo kiosk this weekend. Can't say I am impressed by the graphics power. It honestly looked like Gamecube V1.5. They had this truck racing game running and it looked quite poor graphically. It had a choppy framerate, blurry low-res textures, bland lighting. It really didn't look next -gen at all. It was like a Gamecube with a fancy controller.

Back