Wii A Wii Bit Underpowered ?

I say if it is fake, it is in tune with what has been hinted at by other sources in the past. Nintendo have always said that the Wii is not trying to gain any market in terms of squaring off on a raw processing power front.

If all goes well, the fact that it seems to be GC MKII should not be a problem.

Vimacs posted on Sep 25 2006 at 05:23 PM said:
Who cares what specs the wii will have?
Thats not what it is about.
I care. I dont want an NES with some infared shit installed so i can swing around like a faggot. Im interested in the spec of this new 'next gen' system. It doesnt matter if the wii is all about 'having fun', people want some decent graphics as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Sep 25 2006 at 05:34 PM said:
Vimacs posted on Sep 25 2006 at 05:23 PM said:
Who cares what specs the wii will have?
Thats not what it is about.
I care. I dont want an NES with some infared shit installed so i can swing around like a faggot. Im interested in the spec of this new 'next gen' system. It doesnt matter if the wii is all about 'having fun', people want some decent graphics as well.

IMO This falls in line with Nintendos philosophy. It has never been a secret that they wernt going for a graffix powerhouse geared toward hdtv and and the fastest processors a la Miscosoft Sony. The Nintendo DS is vastly inferior processor wise compared to the psp but its innovative gameplay and genuinely fun games has it taking market share by leaps and bounds. My understanding of the wii (albiet through my ex roomate wh is a consumate nintendo fanboy) is that they are going for innovation and price point for those not willing to part with 600.00 for a PS3. This along with the stated virtual console ability for retro play-Which microsoft is scrambling to emulate through xbox arcade etc,etc. I think the specs dont matter if the games are fun. Less can be more, I myself will reserve judgement til I see what the wii can do with the hardware it does have.

It seems like those specs are about right. Personally, I find this whole new generation of home consoles unnecessary. With HD penetration still fairly low, the benefits of "next-gen" will be minimal for most. And why couldn't nintendo have just released the sensor bar and remote for GameCube? :rolleyes:

With that said, I still have plans to purchase at least two of these next gen consoles. Darn my addiction.

If it says Nintendo on the box, then you know its underpowered, that goes without saying.

dwelch posted on Sep 26 2006 at 12:51 AM said:
If it says Nintendo on the box, then you know its underpowered, that goes without saying.
If it says Nintendo on the box, then you know its going to be better than all the other consoles/handhelds on the market, that goes without saying.

See, I can spout random garbage too :rolleyes:

It´s been known for ages that the Wii will be strongly based on the Gamecube, how else could it run Gamecube games?

So this article isn´t anything new, it´s just known facts mixed with a bit of speculation. I don´t believe the story with the anonymous "wii developer", because there is something that makes no sense at all:
Some of the capacity of the discs are used by the system and games can not use full disc space.
This doesn´t make any sense. I mean the system takes up space on the Wii game discs? Do they want to tell us that the "OS" of the wii isn´t on some flash memory inside he console, but comes on the game disc? Ridiculous.

So i say this article may contain some facts, none of which are new, and speulation by someone who doesn´t have a clue what he´s writing about. Information leaked from Nintendo? My arse.

iignotus posted on Sep 26 2006 at 06:36 AM said:
dwelch posted on Sep 26 2006 at 12:51 AM said:
If it says Nintendo on the box, then you know its going to be better than all the other consoles/handhelds on the market, that goes without saying.

See, I can spout random garbage too :rolleyes:

Yes the only "under powered" consoles with Nintendo on the box have been:
NES (The master system had better gfx, the NES sold better)
GB (monochrome, The GG ate batteries... by the bucket load...)
Wii (Nintendos ideas have changed, so horsepower shouldn't matter.)
NDS (less powerful than a PSP) <-- EDIT somehow I forgot about the DS >_>

All other consoles have been more powerful than their rivals at the time...

Well, you know, there are people who would say that megadrive had more power than snes.
While that is true for raw processing power the snes had a more complex hardware wich when used clever could outperform the megadrive to some limit, i guess.
And don't forget the nds which is way less powerfully than a psp, still it outsells it by a factor of 2 or more.

Fact is while most of the time being less powerfully Nintendo systems always tend to be more fun.

There is only one thing i think is wrong with the wii, no HDMI or DVI out!!! Im a bit disapointed about this as I have a hd-ready tv and i know by using the scart conection the quality will suffer a bit

How do you play WiiSports tennis with two players? Does the 'top' player have to play in a mirror-image fashion?

The SNES only had something like 3.5MHz cpu, that's true, but as Vimacs said... it had some nifty hardware that meant the slow cpu didn't matter. Overall it was a more powerful system.
(sound and graphical quality were much better on the snes. Most games looked better on the snes)
</offtopic>

PokeParadox posted on Sep 26 2006 at 12:43 PM said:
The SNES only had something like 3.5MHz cpu, that's true, but as Vimacs said... it had some nifty hardware that meant the slow cpu didn't matter. Overall it was a more powerful system.
(sound and graphical quality were much better on the snes. Most games looked better on the snes)
</offtopic>

It's just a shame that everything was squashed on the PAL versions.

wow......... until now i thought the wii was powered by a 1.8ghz power pc cpu, similar to the xbox360, just lower clockspeed and 1 core... that 700 something mhz really is a bit low.. and gfx chip faster gc version... wow... nonetheless the wii will rock.

yea i know that mhz isn't mhz (see pentium m-> pentium 4) but i think originally that cpu was meant to be clocked at 1.8ghz which would be pretty good... but 700 something...

Back