Wifi is not working... hardware or software issue? (video inside)

i think he should be banned for mentioning my family.

That was a low blow.

While it isn't exactly a perfect solution to your problem, Scaramouche, you may want to consider buying one of those tiny USB WiFi dongles that are about 5-10$USD and will give you the same functionality of the built in WiFi module.

This would be the ideal solution for you if you are vehemently opposed to RMA'ing your unit. I'm not sure why nobody has mentioned it yet.

It's a shame that your unit had a slight defect. I hope everything works out for you. Just try not to jump on the dispute button so fast next time.

-Tri

While it isn't exactly a perfect solution to your problem, Scaramouche, you may want to consider buying one of those tiny USB WiFi dongles that are about 5-10$USD and will give you the same functionality of the built in WiFi module.

This would be the ideal solution for you if you are vehemently opposed to RMA'ing your unit. I'm not sure why nobody has mentioned it yet.

It's a shame that your unit had a slight defect. I hope everything works out for you. Just try not to jump on the dispute button so fast next time.

-Tri
There indeed was a moment when everyone may have had to go this route perhaps. Great suggestion!

That was a low blow.

Hakmanplayer: ok man, my mouth will not get HERPES for saying MY APOLOGIES so let´s go... I don´t have idea your mom was ill and your father is resting. Your mom will be in my prayers, keep faith. And here is my hand to you if you want to shake it. My mother is ill too so i can full understand you.

EvilDragon: yes, what you mentioned is right. I am very defensive always.Bad experiences beyond just buying handhelds, my nature is that way and i always assume everything will go wrong. I am working on that... not easy. But a good start is to calm down wen you see people you like in front. I don´t know you personally, but i know your work and as a team you did something only few people do in any area (not only gaming): to turn a FULL dream in a FULL thing. Not easy, we are not walking on Mars , we are not traveling trough time, we are not flying without winds.., but we have the Pandora out there. :)

I figured the extensive use of the Pandora affected my already affected mental health :D Ok...now...

On the tech area, ED, let me know.. you think a re-flashing may help? I will do the permissions test suggested by

On the tech area, ED, let me know.. you think a re-flashing may help? I will do the permissions test suggested by

I don't think so. It sounds like it can't communicate with the WiFi module, but flashing won't break anything and won't hurt.

It COULD be some weird flashing problem.

That was a low blow.

Hakmanplayer: ok man, my mouth will not get HERPES for saying MY APOLOGIES so let´s go... I don´t have idea your mom was ill and your father is resting. Your mom will be in my prayers, keep faith. And here is my hand to you if you want to shake it. My mother is ill too so i can full understand you.

EvilDragon: yes, what you mentioned is right. I am very defensive always.Bad experiences beyond just buying handhelds, my nature is that way and i always assume everything will go wrong. I am working on that... not easy. But a good start is to calm down wen you see people you like in front. I don´t know you personally, but i know your work and as a team you did something only few people do in any area (not only gaming): to turn a FULL dream in a FULL thing. Not easy, we are not walking on Mars , we are not traveling trough time, we are not flying without winds.., but we have the Pandora out there. :)

I figured the extensive use of the Pandora affected my already affected mental health :D Ok...now...

apology accepted.

i am 54 yo so parents die and get old at my age.

hope you get your wifi fixed and don't get herpes :(

Too late for Herpes.... :( (if i only got the Pandora some years ago i probably don´t have herpes now :D just kidding) But take this hand :)

Men, here some news...

Code:
First, ensure the following files exist:

/lib/udev/rules.d/50-compat_firmware.rules

/lib/udev/rules.d/compat_firmware.sh

/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper

If the following file exists, delete it:

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

ANSWERS:

the first 3 files DON´T EXIST

the file 70-persistent-net.rules YES EXIST

I tried to configure my WIFI as a HIDDEN network... and i put a 3G USB modem. Trying to connect (i push CONNECT TO HIDDEN NETWORK, and MY NETWORK NAME) trough modem (was not possible trough modem) i see for one second the option DISCONNECT in the NETWORK menu from icon.. so at least 1 second it was connected to something.... but i was not able to open any browser at all. Not able to detect the 3g modem anyway.

So about the files not present.. seems to be some files are missing? Are related with the problem?

About temporary connection.. is the wifi module something i can see if i open the unit and can be plugged again or soldering skill is needed?

Regards

THIS FILE: /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Can´t be deleted , only by "root" and not by my user.

So .. may be a permission problem? Which is "root" password? (i tried what i set wen configuring Pandora but is not working.. i mean my admin password)

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Alerino pointed out why it makes sense to refresh the page before commenting on an active thread.

Boy do I feel silly - Sorry for the grumps!

Too late for Herpes.... :( (if i only got the Pandora some years ago i probably don´t have herpes now :D just kidding) But take this hand :)

Men, here some news...

Code:
First, ensure the following files exist:

If the following file exists, delete it:

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

ANSWERS:

the first 3 files DON´T EXIST

the file 70-persistent-net.rules YES EXIST

I tried to configure my WIFI as a HIDDEN network... and i put a 3G USB modem. Trying to connect (i push CONNECT TO HIDDEN NETWORK, and MY NETWORK NAME) trough modem (was not possible trough modem) i see for one second the option DISCONNECT in the NETWORK menu from icon.. so at least 1 second it was connected to something.... but i was not able to open any browser at all. Not able to detect the 3g modem anyway.

So about the files not present.. seems to be some files are missing? Are related with the problem?

About temporary connection.. is the wifi module something i can see if i open the unit and can be plugged again or soldering skill is needed?

Regards

THIS FILE: /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Can´t be deleted , only by "root" and not by my user.

So .. may be a permission problem? Which is "root" password? (i tried what i set wen configuring Pandora but is not working.. i mean my admin password)

Sounds like a bad flash then.. reflash it.. as mentioned, there's no harm in not doing it, and it may fix it so you don't need to send it in - which you seem adamant about avoiding!

Also, I did mention in the following line in your quote to use "sudo" .. you don't have a root account, you use sudo instead.

... Actually, thinking about it, I think the dbus-helper is in a different place, as that's the Debian path, rather than the Angstrom path.. but the first two files should exist, as they deal with actually loading the firmware into the Wifi chip in the first place and are the same on Debian and Angstrom.

So yes, reflash it.

full reflashing, these files still not there... :( The file 70-persistent-net still not writable so i can´t delete it.

Not WIFI at all :(

Well, i will learn to enjoy the Panda as is. The only thing i really feel amazing about wifi is to install games online just clicking as in BSD or LINUX.

Anyway the reflashing give it better look: i see some folder icons on the MINI MENU that was not there . But not internet capabilities at all. (if at least i can get my 3g modem working)

For me all this is closed. As i said NEVERMIND. May be i buy another Panda next week if OP team can ensure the internet is extensive tested and can send it with an extra package ( even if i need to pay extra ship) , and keep this as a backup unit or "battle" unit, or send it for repair after buying another. Need to think about it, to have 2 Pandas don´t sound bad at all and i have no other device in mind now.

Frustrating, but i still consider it my new favorite console. A friend from Spain on my blog is asking me right now about buying "Pandora or Caanoo?".

http://consolasportatiles.info/pandora-aka-open-pandora-2010-consolasportatiles.html#comments

I will recommend the Pandora, due to the 32 X, DOS BOX, N64 and PSX , only these 3 things worst the money.

try downloading firmware again and reformatting your sd card
Or perhaps even try a different SD card. I had problems with a cheap play.com 4GB card flashing HF5. I went and got my Sandisk Extreme III from the DSLR and it flashed perfectly.

you obviously have absolutly no idea on the problem here ? >_> lol

yes its that easy, when the wifi is working (driver or hardware doesnt matter for that example).

if its not, well, you see... it wont see the network !, nor would it be able to communicate with it even if you told it where it was ! rubbing the pandora on the router antenna wont help either !

(/me remember the first's cordless phones xD. rub the phone on another base athena for a min or so, and tadam, you can hear all they say !

full reflashing, these files still not there... :( The file 70-persistent-net still not writable so i can´t delete it.

How are you reflashing?

Also, as I said earlier, I made a mistake about /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper - that's on Debian, not Angstrom; which is what you'll have.

And you're meant to be root to delete anything on the main system (IE: outside your home folder) so you will need to do "sudo rm ...." to delete the persistent-net file, but without the first two files in /lib/udev/rules.d it's not going to work at all.

Which firmware revision are you flashing? Hotfix5? If so, try this last attempt...

Download onto an SD card: http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/misc/wifibits.tar.gz

Put SD card into your Pandora.

Open a Terminal.

cd /media/mmcblk1p1 - or wherever your SD card is! I assumed the right slot here without a name.

sudo tar zxvf wifibits.tar.gz -C /lib/udev/rules.d

sudo chmod +x /lib/udev/rules.d/compat_firmware.sh

sudo rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Now reboot and try again.

This is very hacky.. and these files have been taken from the very latest rootfs on the firmware page so if you're not reasonably in sync with that, it might not work.

It does sound more like your firmware flash is not taking correctly, so please make sure that you are doing it right by double and even triple checking the process, and even better... tell us how you're flashing it so we can help as if the above hack works, it may only be temporary, or hide other issues that a full reflash would fix!

oh reading from your previous posts, you didnt seem to know sudo pass. but sudo isnt a user, its simply a command to run stuff as superuser. the pass is your user pass. By default on the pandora, your user has all sudo rights, but its not the case on every systems (its controllable using visudo).

Not to participate in the drama...

This sounds very much like my problem. I have guessed a bad solder connection to the wifi module (or possibly some me-inflected damage, but that is a later issue), and have planned to do a RMA a bit later when the flow of boards is a bit steadier. However, if these things with the rc-files fixes it, I won't have to? Keep us posted!

Reflashed , with a different SD card. No way out: no WIFI.

I think EvilDragon is right, and it is a problem with WIFI module.. and yes, i will send to ARM. Desperation bring me temporary crazy, but thanks to some prescription and my gf i am more calm now, i think i can live some weeks with the Pandora ... :( GF promised to keep me busy these weeks so i will not miss the Pandora, i am not sure how wll can she emulate n64 or PSX but i will follow my gf, Jaquelyn and ED suggestions and leave my Panda in the best hands: the OPT. :)

Thanks for ALL your support and understanding. God bless you all!

ahhh seems like we have another one on the ranks who can shine some light how the pandora works or not works LOL! but after reading I am very glad that we are still a community close to a family we all have disputes but at the end of the day we shine and care for each other, so what is the news about the unit? sent it back already?

Well i will put the news here about this topic.

1- Jaquelyn offered me an OUTSTANDING support, same thing E.D.

2- 2 friends here want to buy a Pandora so, one of them want to keep mine´s without WIFI as long he don´t like to use WIFI, so i get a new one.. in fact 2 NEW ONES PANDORAS for co-workers. :)

3- My unit got a new defect, but no problem at all. I sent it to E.D: so he can take a look. More relaxed this time.

I will not give all details ,but support team can say i am a big Pandora supporter and an honest buyer. I know how the team acts much better now, and i full trust in them. And my opinion as long i acted so so mad at first to anyone is : RELAX. You can trust this people.

You will ALWAYS get: a solution, a replacement, a refund or whatever. But these people is full honest. If i can say this today, imagine that they convinced me with facts. So 3 PANDORAS at least come here to Uruguay after the "issue" so to be a 3 million people country, we have a small Pandora community here.. and we have 2 more friends collecting money to get one asap.

Yes a happy end. :)

P.S. I don´t know i got all the advices about replies on this topic TODAY LOL Something weird happened to the forum

Back