Why the Android hate?

Simultaneous switching between Android and some more standard (and Pandora customized) Linux is something a lot of Pandora users would love to have. I think only a pretty small minority at most would object to this being the default shipped solution. The only problem is that it takes up more internal storage.

I have to say people here are more vocally accepting of android than they used to be back around 2009 or so. Way back when there was a minority that seemed almost hellbent against it and bashed it at every opportunity given. That number dwindled and the rage subsided and its kinda turned into acceptance of its presence for the most part.

Now its more of a lesser of two evils sort of situation. Not sure if its because they themselves see the potential of the OS, maybe it matured to their likening, or maybe they just don't see the point of arguing against it anymore.

I think it has a long way to go honestly but I feel someday in the future Moore's law and the convergence of the Linux and android kernels is going to invalidate or make a lot of points against it kinda meaningless.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, what if Android and GNU/Linux (preferably Debian or Mint) ran simultaniously off the same Kernal. You could have the software library of Android and the power and versatility of GNU/Linux. All the apps could run side by side in Windows giving barely any differentiation between things built for Android and things built for GNU/Linux. The only difference would be a small "back" button on the Bar on top of the window for Android apps, as not all have that built in.
You have an over simplified idea of how things work.

It's just not that simple or obvious to make linux and android cohabit together, its not just about the kernel. 

Besides having Android is not going to give "the best of both worlds", you can easily imagine that less people would develop for the Linux aspect of the Pandora, and then you would end up with a Linux Os with less software on the Pandora successor. Resources are not infinite.

And I have the latest Android on my recent phone and I still say its a fucking crappy system made for phones. This is a stuff for grandmothers, not for hackers.

I don't think less people would develop for Pandora Linux just because Android is loaded on the device. It wouldn't be that much different from the PND we have now. Android is close to a pre-baked solution already worked on by other people, it doesn't need to take that many resources.

This isn't really just a Linux vs Android thing, it's more of a customization thing. A lot of the stuff done on Pandora's OS are customizations that wouldn't really work on Android. I'd think of it more as having standard Android alongside the specialized Pandora OS.

And more RAM as was stated. Even if it cant run on the Pandora, I think this would be an amazing OS to have in the open source sphere. So I ask you all, my fellow Pandora users, what would it take to make such an OS

I don't think less people would develop for Pandora Linux just because Android is loaded on the device. It wouldn't be that much different from the PND we have now. Android is close to a pre-baked solution already worked on by other people, it doesn't need to take that many resources.
I dont see how you could guarantee as much Linux development if both are available at boot. Obviously there will be a split of resources or people saying that if you dont have a certain kind of software on Pandora you can anyway use Android. Its for the same reason some people think WINE is doing a disservice to pure Linux gaming on desktops and I think they have a point. 

I dont see how you could guarantee as much Linux development if both are available at boot. Obviously there will be a split of resources or people saying that if you dont have a certain kind of software on Pandora you can anyway use Android. Its for the same reason some people think WINE is doing a disservice to pure Linux gaming on desktops and I think they have a point. 
Its your exact mentality that I authentically hate. "Remove the choice, remove the threat" people aren't sheep stop trying to corral them for your specific preference. If people prefer to write for Linux cause its easier or more powerful they will, you see life very strange good sir.

Are you talking about development of the OS or development of software? I thought we were talking about the former. Android availability is going to be a given either way, it's even available on Pandora now. I don't think making Android a little more accessible will make people lose interest in developing for the Pandora OS.

The big problem with that argument against WINE is you can't actually provide very solid evidence to support it. You could look at game availability on Linux vs WINE maturity over the years but I don't think you'd draw very much from that...

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

for those who are unaware of its existence, Conical announced something like this almost 2 years ago. The project failed (I think) but they never releleased any code. A good start would be a petition to Conical to make it open source so the global FOSS devlopment community could spend more time tweaking what already exists instead of reinvinting the wheel.

if I made a petition, would you all be willing to sign it?

/> I dont see how you could guarantee as much Linux development if both are available at boot. Obviously there will be a split of resources or people saying that if you dont have a certain kind of software on Pandora you can anyway use Android. Its for the same reason some people think WINE is doing a disservice to pure Linux gaming on desktops and I think they have a point. 
Its your exact mentality that I authentically hate. "Remove the choice, remove the threat" people aren't sheep stop trying to corral them for your specific preference. If people prefer to write for Linux cause its easier or more powerful they will, you see life very strange good sir.
Read my posts again. Where did I say "remove the choice" ? I dont care either way, I am just saying every choice has consequences. You wont get as much software developed for Pandora specifically if Android is available at boot, I dont think you can prove me the contrary. 

Are you talking about development of the OS or development of software? I thought we were talking about the former. Android availability is going to be a given either way, it's even available on Pandora now. I don't think making Android a little more accessible will make people lose interest in developing for the Pandora OS.

The big problem with that argument against WINE is you can't actually provide very solid evidence to support it. You could look at game availability on Linux vs WINE maturity over the years but I don't think you'd draw very much from that...
Both OS and software. As I said if you dont have an application available on Pandora Linux the easy answer would then be : "use Android, there is that app instead" and discussion closed. Not very positive in the end, and i dont think you can exclude that scenario.

Okay I'll boil it down...

photo-24.jpg
<---Look at him... Arms crossed, seems to have a bad attitude as if he thinks he's better than everyone..

I have to say people here are more vocally accepting of android than they used to be back around 2009 or so. Way back when there was a minority that seemed almost hellbent against it and bashed it at every opportunity given. That number dwindled and the rage subsided and its kinda turned into acceptance of its presence for the most part. Now its more of a lesser of two evils sort of situation. Not sure if its because they themselves see the potential of the OS, maybe it matured to their likening, or maybe they just don't see the point of arguing against it anymore. I think it has a long way to go honestly but I feel someday in the future Moore's law and the convergence of the Linux and android kernels is going to invalidate or make a lot of points against it kinda meaningless.
^ Agree with this. I like Android because of the Play Store, there are more "finished" software choices there (Netflix, Whatsapp, Spotify, Dropbox). This is not a bash on Angstrom/the hard work of Pandora developers, they are not getting paid and code in their free time. The software for Pandora is bemusing at times. For a long time people said DS, PSP, Android were unlikely to ever be on the Pandora, and if they were, they would not run well. Additionally we got an early tease of a Dreamcast emulator that never surfaced, despite looking like it had promise. 

Back on topic, I love widgets on Android, I have a weather widget, sunrise/sunset widget, calender widget and traffic widget. Since Android is such a popular OS I like all the customized ROMs so that I can have it tweaked to my tastes. 

Read my posts again. Where did I say "remove the choice" ? I dont care either way, I am just saying every choice has consequences. You wont get as much software developed for Pandora specifically if Android is available at boot, I dont think you can prove me the contrary.
You didn't say that, its the attitude. You don't want to see an android option because it seems you think that it would take developers away that would others wise be focused solely on Linux. I would think the same audience of current developers and users that prefer Linux would still stick to mainly Linux, and those that prefer android would stick to android. I feel you would get more from both sides wanting to experience the other aide as well so I'm saying it would only be better, not worse as far as workers and users vs available options. Neither of us could prove either way, but I think its a strong argument that having more OS options would attract a wider audience of users and developers than we currently have.

"Ubuntu for Android combines Ubuntu and Android under the same Linux Kernal. The explination page found here -> http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

It was announced to be open source, however no code or even demo versions have been released (publically or otherwise). It is important for Ubuntu for Android to be made available as now hardware such as Tegra 4, Snapdragon 600, and the Exynos line of chips are all capable of handling such intense CPU strain that is expected to be caused by a desktop and mobile OS running at the same time. Canonical attempted to have Ubuntu for Android pre-loaded on phones, however that has proven to be unsuccessful. In order to breathe new life in to the already written code as well as save eager developers from recreating a similar OS from scratch, Canonical must release any code they have pertaining to Ubuntu for Android."

How does that sound for the "Why is this petition important?"

I would not say that it needs a lot more cpu if you suspend one os and bring up another...

You would need to throw a ton of RAM at it though.

Edit: so you can only use the desktop if you plug a big screen to the phone?

Do not want...

You can do whatever you want as long as there's a default lightweight Linux OS with full desktop I can boot, which does not sacrifice any resources for features I will never use. 

Back