Rant: I hate ASUS!!!!

___

Advanced Member
I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them!

Bought a fucking Transformer Prime TF201 on release... an android tablet with gps features. Well, the firmware was so bad, it was unusable. Barely a wifi signal, no gps whatsoever!!!

None of the official firmware "upgrades" that followed would rectify this. So I waited for custom firmware to come out and unlocked. Turns out they were too stupid to test their shitty products, and forgot (oopsie) that gps/wifi won't go through the solid aluminum case. Asus solution: removing GPS from the feature list on their product webpage...

Because I am an idiot, I have since bought an Asus router.... the dsl-n55u. Guess what... faulty firmware!!!!!!! And their update system is super buggy aswell. Every fucking firmware update it received broke another feature and introduced some stupid consumer crap that I don't fucking want it to do!!!! I want it to keep up a constant PPPoE connection, I don't want it to act as a mediaserver or downloader!!! It's supposed to be a modem/router and that's enough... I have a NAS server deployed and a WebDAV server for my serving needs!!!!!! This is why I bought the fucking router in the first place, to get stable Internet and gigabit lan! 

I wish I would be able to shout at someone who works in their CS department. Sadly they don't know shit and are responsible for nothing... yeah, that's what good customer service is all about: knowing nothing technical to advise and not giving a shit...

I love Asus Motherboards, however I've had a terrible time with an Asus Laptop( Asus M50SA ). It would randomly restart itself all the time, none of the bios updates seem to fix this, crawling through support web pages it sounded that many had the same issue and many thought it was overheating issues even though it didn't appear that the laptop was overheating. I delayed too long trying to fix the issue myself and missed my window for RMA.

Bought my wife a asus x200 laptop and it's great for the money, I enjoyed the asus tf101 while I used it except for the tegra 2 that didn't have neon. Love my asus nexus 7, and so does the wife. And most recently I own a transformerbook that I'm exceptionally happy with... asus motherboards in the past (moved to gigabyte as my favorite pc component manufacturer)

I can't say I've ran into any bad experiences with them, but I'm sure it's a crapshoot... but I also wait at least 6 months and read lots of reviews on their products before I buy them. I have to say I've avoided a couple of their products because of problems they had with their shipping version or just ignored others.

My EEE PC is quite good, with a couple of exceptions: I preferred the keyboard on my previous netbook (Samsung NC10), and whilst the CPU supports 64bit, and the RAM slot can take 4GB, you can't enable 64bit in the BIOS, meaning you're stuck on 32bit with 3GB RAM.

I myself always found ASUS overrated, from the ABIT vs ASUS time to nowadays.

I've always been happy with Asus products.. perhaps I'm just lucky with regards to that.. I've got 2 EEE PC's, 1 gaming laptop, several mb's, and a router from them.

Asus products are crap in general, specially their laptops.

On other hand, their ROG line of products (motherboards, GPUs... etc) are deadly good specially their 17 inch ROG laptops! ( their current 15 inch ROG laptop is also a crap)

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the distant past I bought a Eee PC T101MT was a pretty decent netbook, till the motherboard shorted out anyway, common problem apparently as I didn't find out till after the event. :rolleyes:

I can say that Acer is even lamer than Asus...
They are on the same "consumer" shit tier :)
Acer has way better support than Asus by now.

Things have changed.

Regarding the alu ase:

The first thought I had when seeing this product for the first time was "doesn't this cause issues with WLAN and GPS?".

The intern at Asus may have had the same thought.

Sometimes it's a good idea to listen to the interns (this wisdom does actually originate from my boss).

Well, when it comes to the laptops, the ones from Acer are the same as any other consumer tier/class laptops.

They just have a powerful hardware and crappy shell/chassis  which leads to all kind of problems like overheating, noisy fans, short lifespan of the components and so on.

The 17 inch ROG laptops by ASUS are pure hidden GEM. Their chassis and cooling system are good and reliable. IMO they are even superior to the Dell`s 17 inch Alienware.

Also the Asus ROG desktop range of GPUs are made with serious over clocking in mind. :)

In conclusion if you want to buy something made by Asus, just make sure there is a "Republic Of Gamers" logo on it. :D

For any home network setup always a SOHO class router will do the job far better than any consumer class router with OpenWRT.

Usually the consumer class routers are dead shortly after their warranty is expired.

Most of the times their condensators are popped, which is fixable :)

But if you need a reliable router that will last years, get yourself a SOHO class no matter the brand. :)

If you want a good router, build one with enterprise class parts.  Asus ROG is, as anything that says gaming on it, worse than the alternatives. Often worse than asus other products.

I don't have that much Asus product but I'm quite happy with them... the first one being an original eeepc... I love it but I can't deny that the default Xandros distribution they installed on it is one of the worst I've seen. I also got a nice Sabertooth P67 motherboard and I'm really happy with that one.

P4C800E-deluxe was the good old days. Then the WL500g routers. EEE1000.  R16 router with merlin software.

Its not that they cant make bad products, they are just unable to put good software/firmware on them.

With time P4P800 had some BIOS parameters reset by itself. BIOS update do nothing.

Also fan control may be out of control, leading to incredibly high noise level with high cpu activity.

I have a 18 inch Acer Aspier.

Very sad that it's hardware is now 7 years old and I have to buy a new one in the near future.

It was a really good and I liked it a lot.

Never had a problem with it.

Did upgrade the CPU and the HDD several times.

GPU is already the best inside I can put into it.

Back