Time to move from Android to IOS?

Ian J

Advanced Member
Never though I'd ever type the above subject line but here we are.

I hate apple's ethos with a passion but I am so annoyed at the fracturing of Android I am contemplating moving over to an iPhone for my next device.

The issue I have is that there are so many versions of android out there that a piece of software that runs on one device may not run on others.

Had this happen a few times now.

Some developers have blamed Android and others the handset manufacturer for using modified Android installations.

Is there a real alternative out there to Android?

Well I've seen some of this, some Applications are sometimes locked out for a lack of a feature that one phone has vs another usually a SoC CPU/GPU related issue. I rarely seen an app not work because of a straight up OS difference.

I'm really starting to dislike smartphones in general as I'm starting to realize they're just not much of a versatile device as I'd like them to be.. They make a poor phone device since a touch interface is such an awkward interface for a phone. They also don't do well for games outside of lousy touch games I don't really care for.. I had a Samsung Alias a several years ago.. that thing was a great phone/texting device.  I'm actually thinking about getting a regular phone next time around and save a ton on data package fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got an example of such software that's causing you problems?

I've only encountered this type issue when an app shows as 'not available on your device' in the Play Store, which I believe is often due to pixel density of the device, and you can work around that with use of other apps which trick it... Might need root for that though but I've always rooted my phone's straight away.

I think you'll get same or similar problems with iOS , certainly you'll have to keep hardware up to date. Some iPhone that can't run the latest iOS will have same problem where some apps demand latest iOS version

I've encountered a few apps which don't run on some custom ROMs for whatever reason, but that shouldn't really reflect poorly on Android. I've yet to find an app which didn't run at all on stock.

Swype

Voice Speed Dial

Swype worked fine on Jane's S2 but not my S3 after they forced me to update it, I was on the paid Beta which worked fine.

VSD Works on mine fine but not on Jane's

Each developer blamed the OS and said to upgrade Android on each phone, both phones were up to date with the manufacturers latest release for each device.

I should add I have since solved both issues after hunting round for a solution on the net but very annoying after buying each app on each phone.

Not sure then tbh...

I wonder if it's to do with Samsung's heavy skinning?

Still I think moving to iOS might be a bit drastic :)

By the by, have you checked out Minuum k/board if you use Swype you might like it, best thing about it I think is how little screen space you have to sacrifice for k/board

If your problem is about stuff not working in old versions of Android and old phones not supporting newer versions of Android then iOS has the same problem, not all apps work on every iOS device ever made. Sure, an iOS device you get now won't have that problem, but several years from now it could - I mean the Galaxy S2 you mentioned is about 3 years old now right? While support hasn't dropped that way for 3 year old iOS devices (iPhone 4) going back a bit further does see support dropping off for 3GS (no iOS 7 support, and issues with resolution)

Newer versions of Android breaking apps is a bigger problem, I agree Google is probably more haphazard about this than Apple is. But usually those apps can be fixed and often they are.

Not all Android devices are created equal, it might help if you got something in the Nexus line instead of Galaxy S line, those tend to be more broadly supported by Android versions.

ishit-sw.jpg

Well I've seen some of this, some Applications are sometimes locked out for a lack of a feature that one phone has vs another usually a SoC CPU/GPU related issue. I rarely seen an app not work because of a straight up OS difference.

I'm really starting to dislike smartphones in general as I'm starting to realize they're just not much of a versatile device as I'd like them to be.. They make a poor phone device since a touch interface is such an awkward interface for a phone. They also don't do well for games outside of lousy touch games I don't really care for.. I had a Samsung Alias a several years ago.. that thing was a great phone/texting device.  I'm actually thinking about getting a regular phone next time around and save a ton on data package fees.
I would rather say, not all of them are so bad. In my case, I cannot write on a touchscreen - no way! Therefor I've got a Sony Experia Pro (covert advertising xD). It's also much better for gaming since there are plenty of games which support the keyboard(e.g. Sonic CD or several emulators). Unfortunately all the newer smartphones with much more performance lack a keyboard, making them unusable for me.

Both phones have had OS updates in the last year, the S3 has had one in the last 2 months so it must be the crap Samsung adds on.

Anyone have experience of Nexus phones?

Not personally, but I've a few mates who buy those models, as they like to be first with the updates when Google release them.

I'd suspect you right though, Samsung bloat causing a problem, with the Nexus you'll be clean Android and probably have no problems.

You might find you're better off if you flash a GPE version ROM on your S3, rather than the ones they skin, but even those are not as pure as a Nexus I don't think

Both phones have had OS updates in the last year, the S3 has had one in the last 2 months so it must be the crap Samsung adds on.

Anyone have experience of Nexus phones?
Consider cyanogenmod to get your galaxy s 2 up to the later versions of Android your apps may then work, do the same with your s3 too since Samsung are usually slow to release updates and have their own crappy skin over the top too.

Back