Why So Much Hatred Here?

craigix posted on May 19 2009 at 08:57 AM said:
I think you should take this outside. Like Men.
*opens door*

lets go , we're gonna do this like its 1775 :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fisticuffs at dawn, gentlemen!

I don't post much outside of "Off topic discussion", not because I'm unhappy at how angry people have gotten (although I have noticed it and I disapprove), but because I'm just kind of bored of this whole Wizdora thing. I might start to be interested again when something actually arises (but I don't care enough to whine and whine about delays re: Pandora). On the other hand, I might not. The GP2X community was, I think, a special sort of one-off. It had enough new people and enough holdover from the GP32 community to work, and work spectacularly. It was exciting, it was fast-paced, and it was generally a joy to be part of it. It may be just an instinctive repulsion of the new but I don't feel that about these consoles.

Like I say, maybe when (if?) the scene picks up a bit, it'll be worth getting excited over. But not yet.

nickspoon posted on May 21 2009 at 09:15 PM said:
Fisticuffs at dawn, gentlemen!
I'm much more partial to a western-style shootout

What the fuck is going on in here? I can understand bashing companies [ gph / openpandora], i can understand flaming about hardware [ wiz / op ] i cant understand shitting inside your own nest , people. Stop attacking each other. Do we really need to burn the bridges between GPH lovers and OP lovers? Its soo predictable these days, just like on PSP / DS scene...

StreaK posted on May 21 2009 at 04:37 PM said:
What the fuck is going on in here? I can understand bashing companies [ gph / openpandora], i can understand flaming about hardware [ wiz / op ] i cant understand shitting inside your own nest , people. Stop attacking each other. Do we really need to burn the bridges between GPH lovers and OP lovers? Its soo predictable these days, just like on PSP / DS scene...
Funny coming from the guy whos provoked people in the wiz forums and also apparently is planning to only release software for pandora :rolleyes:

PoisonedV posted on May 21 2009 at 10:41 PM said:
Funny coming from the guy whos provoked people in the wiz forums and also apparently is planning to only release software for pandora :rolleyes:
Wah, provoking :) are You joking, right? I've never provoked anyone, i've only stated my opinion about company GPH [ and i didnt point the finger on anyone ] so stop talking nonsense. If you think i dont care about other systems than OP, just look on openpandora.pl, where im supporting all of them [ wiz / gp2x / op / dingoo ].

StreaK posted on May 21 2009 at 04:45 PM) [quote="PoisonedV posted on May 21 2009 at 10:41 PM said:
Wah, provoking :"] are You joking, right? I've never provoked anyone, i've only stated my opinion about company GPH [ and i didnt point the finger on anyone ] so stop talking nonsense. If you think i dont care about other systems than OP, just look on openpandora.pl, where im supporting all of them [ wiz / gp2x / op / dingoo ].[/quote]Alright, so I may be wrong on the second part since I was judging by your signature. but almost all your posts in the wiz forums have a mocking and condescending tone

Monk posted on May 21 2009 at 02:41 PM said:
@zodttd - bizzarre. even the author of MAME4ALL has been getting involved in the bitchfests? It's got to be about entertainment. It's why peopl;e watch soap operas.

Personally, I'm pretty grateful to the people who bring me software - for free! - that lets me respend my mispent youth :D but you've got me wondering how how many devs are not supporting the Pandora or Wiz through politics :(

Best wishs n stuff, personally.
I am absolutely with you here. The number of hours that it takes to create a piece of software is a lot more than most people think, and I can tell you that I appreciate the hard work done for free. The devs deserve our respect. Why anyone would become hostile to a developer who is working for free a mystery. I have heard of horror stories of nasty emails and threats and everything else (not so much here), even the pdrom guys had problems with the lack of appreciation. Speaking of which, the web guys devote a lot as well. I am not OWED anything by these guys and I try not to forget it, please try too.

Chris

christo930 posted on May 21 2009 at 05:51 AM) [quote="PoisonedV posted on May 20 2009 at 05:23 PM) [quote="christo930 posted on May 20 2009 at 10:23 AM said:
I, for one, get really mad when people come in here and trash game park systems while they wait for the Pandora and have been vocal about it from time to time but I don't think anyone should be jumping on devs for doing what they do. Leaking the wiz stuff probably ended up improving the Wiz even if it did delay it. If a dev wants to write a piece of software and not release the source code, it's on them, but not if they used open source code in their software in the first place.
The biggest thing creating problems in the community are people that have not traditionally been part of the community. People who are only here as potential Pandora users. They have been welcomed into the community by almost everyone, so don't act like a dick once your here. I know that you haven't, I'm talking about a certain group of people.

At the end of the day, I hope the developers support all the open platforms. Different strokes for different folks. I don't think I will be buying a Pandora, but that doesn't mean that a successful Pandora won't have a positive effect in the opensource movement in general which should benefit everyone.

Chris

Edit: after reading through the thread, the pink elephant in the room seems to be obvious to at least a few people. The original gp32 and gp2x generally brought in an older crowd who wanted to play the older games on emulators and the older style games in homebrew. As the hardware is getting more powerful the newer systems can emulate more modern games and it inevitably attracts yongsters who want to buy a machine to play modern games they don't have to pay for and it shows.
Why? (by gamepark I assume you mean gamepark holdings) I have a gp2x and I've been critical of it since the glow of having it after the first month or so wore off. it wasn't that good, it was that it had a much better scene around it than the PSP had and thats all it made. why does it make you so mad to see people saying shit like this? also, iv'e rarely seen younger uses... actually, other than a few stupid people (cough ninjamonkey cough (who has improved, iirc)) who were keeping their stupidity to their own forum pretty much, most of them act pretty mature, especially in regards to diehard forum assholes who hate to see anyone knew join their little club. also you say that they don't want to have to pay for it, were you paying for all the roms you played on your gp2x? etc. i didnt see you complaining about those stupid youngins who wanted to play snes games and NOT PAY FOR THEM back on the gp2x. 4 years after the snes the ps1 was released, and 4 years after the gp2x the pandora (will hopefully"] be released. so i don't see this whole 'console age' thing since ps1 isnt any more modern now than snes was 4 years ago. but even if there were younger members, what does it matter? almost all of them keep to their own forums, and occasionally a troll gets loose- and that goes for both wiz and pandora fan/boys[/quote]It's one thing to be critical, its quite another thing to bash. I criticize the gp2x as well, I don't believe in blind fanaticism. And yes, I own all the games I play in emulators (except arcade games, I'm guilty there). The whole reason I use the emulator is because I like the game, but don't want to deal with the hassle of wires and clutter plus having it on the go. My wife would absolutely FREAK if she came home and found video game systems attached to the tv and their associated wires and game carts... There are a small number of games on each system that I like and it really is impractical to keep them all hooked up or even store them in the general vicinity of the tv. So I use an emulator on my pc and on my gp32 and gp2x when I am out.
It's certainly nothing against younger gamers in general, it's just that there are a few obnoxious younger (and older"] gamers. I wouldn't ever think of going to a psp website and explaining why I think their system sucks and I don't want them to come here and do the same. I don't mind if someone says they don't like a particular thing about the gp32 or 2x but don't come into the community and say that the gp32 and gp2x suck and are junk and obnoxious things like that.
People should try to act the same way in the forums as they do in real life. I wouldn't walk up to a group of people playing with a psp and say "What are you using that piece of shit for" and so I wouldn't say it here. Now if I was with a group of friends playing with a gp32 and someone said "what are using that piece of shit for?", you can rest assured, I'd say something back to them. Nobody keeps to this 100% of the time and I get that. People get in bad moods, maybe had a drink or 2 or whatever... It's when it becomes a patern and then I get pissed off and say something. Fan boys on either side of the argument are just as annoying, were not here for mental masturbation any more than to be trashed.

I hope this clears up my position. In general I try to stay out of unproductive conversations, but I do say something occasionally.

Chris[/quote]Could someone please summarise these posts for me? I couldn't be bothered reading through the giant walls of text.
Thank you.

I just want to state that I'm one of these neutral types that just wants to get his software out there. I am getting a Pandora, just because for me it is just what I want.
I will still try to make releases for GP2X and I will most probably get a WIZ toolchain setup but my main focus will be with my new toy...
If you want a Wiz(go to the toilet) that's awesome, I have nothing against it, only thing that bothers me is all this cloak and dagger bullshit and conspiracy nonsense. "Can't we all just get along?"

its kinda like having a forum for xbox, wii and ps3 fans all in the same forum. theres gonna be a majority of nice people and a minority of silly people. some people take gadgets a little too seriously and defend their chosen device to the death but i think people online who spend all their time being negative about ideas and suggestions is a bit sad.
hope to make this place my home when the two pandora forums merge (or atleast one is chosen as the official)

I don't think there is so much hatred. I was surprised by the reaction of Franxis, but that was about it. I don't take the replies of guys like quasist very seriously. There has always been some strong feelings about Craigix (remember Epicenter?), so nothing new here.

There are some pandora supporters (like me) that will probably not buy a Wiz.
I don't hate the Wiz, I just don't need one. I've got a GP2X, a DS and an Android phone. I don't see the Wiz adding a lot right now. That could change, but then I need to see some major emulators.
I feel the same way about the Dingoo btw.

No hate, no flaming, just an opinion and I'm sure most feel this way. Don't mix up opinions with hatred.

The Forum has developed from a GP32 place to hang out to GP2X, and now Pandora, Wiz & Dingoo.

Some people don't appreciate it has become an open handheld source forum, and express fanboism remarks about their favourite console.

It is difficult to appreciate why some might take these views. It was not long ago the A320 was 'just another new Chinese PMP game player thread', but since it has become popular (& deservedly so), a new section of the forums has been created.

I agree with the constructive comments on this thread regarding developers. They develop, you download for free. It is no ones business what system they decide to develop for, or if they choose to continue developing or what not. Appreciate the time and effort they put in. For Commercial products, if you want the latest Halo, you buy a Microsoft console - simple as that. Please don't piss off the folk that make open source handheld gaming as good as it is.

Even if one project is made for a particular console, we all know over time chances are it will be made for the rest that are capable.

As for Franxis having a rant, so what??! He may have an opinion over Pandora .. that's his business. Fair play to have a rant than shut up and say nothing (btw I am hoping to get a Pandora myself)

As for hatred here, I have seen no 'hatred' - it's a very strong word. I think it is more confusion over what this site has become (i.e. not just a GPH related site anymore)

No Coven grievings my friends ;)

As much as I love this place, there has always been something a little bit wrong with the atmosphere. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but there has always been a little too much hatred going on. When I started visiting it was vs the Zodiac. Then there was the problematic GP2X launch with everyone blaming each other for mistakes. Now it's the fucking useless Pandora vs Wiz fight, and with some bad luck, the Dingoo might join the bloodbath. I think the forum needs tighter moderation. IMO there should be temporary warnings for useless threads and temporary bans for flaming and unbased accusations. That might motivate people to think more before they post. Inappropriate behavior like huge quotes, useless posts etc. doesn't have to be punished but people have to be told clearly (through a PM or warning, NOT a public flame!) that they are behaving inappropriately so they can do better next time.

that they are behaving inappropriately so they can do better next time.
It's funny, but I don't remember the pre gp2x days like that. There was hardly any mention of other systems in here that I recall, but honestly, I don't come here every day so maybe I just missed it. As for moderation, I'm glad the moderation here is somewhat loose. Everyone deserves free speech and I think the people can police the speech themselves. Like if someone acts like a dick the other people jump all over them, no need for moderation. What is a useless post? What you find useless, someone else might enjoy. It's clear that Hando wants a free and open forum here. Sometimes flamewars are a waste of bandwidth, but often times good things come out of them (even if it does take forever sometimes).
The competition has made all the new systems better. Do you think the Wiz would have been changed if gamepark didn't fear loosing sales to the Pandora? Would the Pandora exist without the gp2x? It's just a guess, but I am guessing they wanted to beat what they thought Gamepark was going to come out as a successor to gp2x and that made it more powerful. A good rivalry will push the software to new highs, so a little competition or fanboyism can be helpful (IMO)

Chris

WTF....
Drama Drama Drama.
Please grow up ....

yall need to sit back relax and just let things happen.
too much drama

As a gp32spain user(not developer) I can tell you some things:

- I really enjoy the work you did for my gp2x.

- I don't care the platform you develop for, it's your bussiness

- People is annoyed because of not releasing the source code of some gpl apps you use for your personal benefit.

- The last thing that lead to a big "anger" was the video comparision between dingoo and wiz made by craig. It was so BIASED that it looked a ridiculous effort to bash the wiz.

- I own a wiz and I am already happy with it, I don't have any problems getting a pandora. The only thing I don't like about pandora is the arrogance that is shown by some member of the team(not all, not even the majority).

Finally, good luck with the pandora project, I hope it ll be a succes.

Xabier posted on May 24 2009 at 05:50 PM) As a gp32spain user(not developer said:
I can tell you some things:
- I really enjoy the work you did for my gp2x.

- I don't care the platform you develop for, it's your bussiness

- People is annoyed because of not releasing the source code of some gpl apps you use for your personal benefit.

- The last thing that lead to a big "anger" was the video comparision between dingoo and wiz made by craig. It was so BIASED that it looked a ridiculous effort to bash the wiz.

- I own a wiz and I am already happy with it, I don't have any problems getting a pandora. The only thing I don't like about pandora is the arrogance that is shown by some member of the team(not all, not even the majority).

Finally, good luck with the pandora project, I hope it ll be a succes.

please elaborate on the gpl things, i have not heard of that before but i dont nesscarily doubt it
as for the wiz video, I hardly thought it was biased. if its a comparison, it has to portray one in a worse light than the other. why would he attempt to do that anyway? Surely the wiz is a more expensive product and probably has a higher markup per item and he would make more selling them, so how would he benefit?

PoisonedV posted on May 25 2009 at 04:14 AM) [quote="Xabier posted on May 24 2009 at 05:50 PM said:
As a gp32spain user(not developer"] I can tell you some things:
please elaborate on the gpl things, i have not heard of that before but i dont nesscarily doubt it
as for the wiz video, I hardly thought it was biased. if its a comparison, it has to portray one in a worse light than the other. why would he attempt to do that anyway? Surely the wiz is a more expensive product and probably has a higher markup per item and he would make more selling them, so how would he benefit?[/quote]
Well, a lot of people probably don't like the Dingoo because they're effectively making money off emulator developers without complying with the terms of their licenses - i. e. not providing a copy of the GPL, an offer of source code, or the code itself in the customary medium. Craig has stated that he will apply pressure to cause this to happen, but we have seen no results as yet.

The comparison video seemed pretty hard on both devices to me. It didn't seem like he was unfair to the Wiz to me, though I can see how the negativity he did display would not be well received by those who feel that he had a pre-existing bias. It seemed to me that he was "bashing" the Dingoo just as much, although there was some sense of "look at this new device, it's come out of nowhere and has the potential to be competition." That doesn't translate to being "so BIASED that it looked a ridiculous effort to bash the wiz," though.

And I think Craig has in fact confirmed that he makes more on each Wiz sale than each Dingoo sale...

Tom` posted on May 25 2009 at 05:17 AM said:
Well, a lot of people probably don't like the Dingoo because they're effectively making money off emulator developers without complying with the terms of their licenses - i. e. not providing a copy of the GPL, an offer of source code, or the code itself in the customary medium. Craig has stated that he will apply pressure to cause this to happen, but we have seen no results as yet.
GPH isn't being totally different with the Wiz though. There's no source out for the version of Linux used in their firmware or SDL they've distributed. This is not just an oversight, they've deliberately asked for Linux source not to be distributed.

Back