Why So Much Hatred Here?

I was thinking I'd buy a Wiz [The Dingoo has too funny of a name, I can't buy it] if the Pandora falls through somehow, but if they're being dicks and not respecting free software licenses, I won't even consider it.

lulzfish posted on May 25 2009 at 08:10 AM said:
I was thinking I'd buy a Wiz [The Dingoo has too funny of a name, I can't buy it]

Let's hope that the Pandora does NOT fall through but... you think dingoo is a funny name but Wiz isn't? google "take a whiz" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom` posted on May 25 2009 at 06:17 AM) [quote="PoisonedV posted on May 25 2009 at 04:14 AM said:
Xabier posted on May 24 2009 at 05:50 PM said:
As a gp32spain user(not developer"] I can tell you some things:
please elaborate on the gpl things, i have not heard of that before but i dont nesscarily doubt it
as for the wiz video, I hardly thought it was biased. if its a comparison, it has to portray one in a worse light than the other. why would he attempt to do that anyway? Surely the wiz is a more expensive product and probably has a higher markup per item and he would make more selling them, so how would he benefit?
Well, a lot of people probably don't like the Dingoo because they're effectively making money off emulator developers without complying with the terms of their licenses - i. e. not providing a copy of the GPL, an offer of source code, or the code itself in the customary medium. Craig has stated that he will apply pressure to cause this to happen, but we have seen no results as yet.

The comparison video seemed pretty hard on both devices to me. It didn't seem like he was unfair to the Wiz to me, though I can see how the negativity he did display would not be well received by those who feel that he had a pre-existing bias. It seemed to me that he was "bashing" the Dingoo just as much, although there was some sense of "look at this new device, it's come out of nowhere and has the potential to be competition." That doesn't translate to being "so BIASED that it looked a ridiculous effort to bash the wiz," though.

And I think Craig has in fact confirmed that he makes more on each Wiz sale than each Dingoo sale...[/quote]It's true, the profit on the A320 is tiny in comparison to the Wiz.

Gads, what will gp32spain think of my PSP vs. Wiz video?

A person being relatively anonymous behind some abstract callsign and avatar may more easily 'strike out' on a forum or the IRC-channel than they would do in real person. All sorts of inhibitions and fears are differently experienced acting with this alter-ego persona. For some - like me - the alter ego isn't really much different from the real me. But for some there is a rather big difference - often the difference may not be for the better...

And then there's the basic personality underneath it all - some need to lash-out to others in order to feel good about themselves, some are constantly right-fighting, others feel happy about creating diversion and drama. Let's face it, not all people are nice or friendly. Some are downright obnoxious, bullies. All these violent- and non-violent-tendencies are compensated for by a person's own norm/value system and the way certain actions are tolerated in the social group but for some it's rather easy to let go if they are less likely to be held accountable for it - especially when the group is a 'virtual' one without physically facing each other.

Same goes for road rage drivers. Some people really get nasty when they become 'one with their machine' - big SUV, fast car, blinded windows and all - and will do things that they wouldn't do in the supermarket walking behind their shopping kart. Sneaking ahead in the line or downright cutting someone off in the grocery store is something that is not tolerated by the social group and the person doing it is more likely to be held accountable. When a fast car is cutting someone off on the road it is less likely to be held accountable just by the vary nature of the social surroundings. And some people just keep on doing it - actually feeling safer doing that kind of thing then cutting off an old slow-grey haired-lady with her shopping cart in the supermarket. But in reality cutting of someone on the A4 (or any other major highway road in the World) is actually far more dangerous.

I am a lover not a fighter - that is what Mr M.Jackson would sing to Paul McCartney. Well perhaps I myself am more of a 'lover' than I fighter and this whole thing very much reminds me of the c64 vs Spectrum vs Amstrad CPC arguments in the playground, some of them would go pretty far. Personally I hated these endless discussions.

I loved the Spectrum for it's fast basic and your basic-based-games would run much faster on a Spectrum than if you would try to do the same thing on a C64. But then again I loved the C64 for it's sprites and games the great sound of the sid chip. Sir Alan Sugar's Amstrad CPC was something that actually 'combined' all the good things of both the C64 and Spectrum for me and I ended up programming it quite a bit. And now I am the proud owner of all three systems.
I use a MacBook laptop, love the ease of use of OSX, but I also use Vista and have a machine testing out Windows 7. I am not a militant Mac-person but a lot of Mac users are. I love the difference between the gp32, the gp2x and the Wizz, pre-ordered a Pandora but probably will end up getting a Wizz also.

Ah well. I can't be right can I?

And people love a good riled up fight too; there is always so much drama it can be assumeds that people _need_ drama, it gives them somethign to do? Most of the worlds problems are due to boredom no? ;)

jeff

is actually far more dangerous.

I am a lover not a fighter - that is what Mr M.Jackson would sing to Paul McCartney. Well perhaps I myself am more of a 'lover' than I fighter and this whole thing very much reminds me of the c64 vs Spectrum vs Amstrad CPC arguments in the playground, some of them would go pretty far. Personally I hated these endless discussions.

I loved the Spectrum for it's fast basic and your basic-based-games would run much faster on a Spectrum than if you would try to do the same thing on a C64. But then again I loved the C64 for it's sprites and games the great sound of the sid chip. Sir Alan Sugar's Amstrad CPC was something that actually 'combined' all the good things of both the C64 and Spectrum for me and I ended up programming it quite a bit. And now I am the proud owner of all three systems.
I use a MacBook laptop, love the ease of use of OSX, but I also use Vista and have a machine testing out Windows 7. I am not a militant Mac-person but a lot of Mac users are. I love the difference between the gp32, the gp2x and the Wizz, pre-ordered a Pandora but probably will end up getting a Wizz also.

Ah well. I can't be right can I?
well, nobody knows everything behind everyone, none of us are truly fit to judge each other under the names of "obnoxious" or "bully". sure, oftentimes there is a 13 year old kid behind a flamer, but sometimes jerks aren't jerks at all, maybe they, or you, or someone else ignored or misunderstood something. perhaps they really do feel safer lashing out in a virtual environment. some people tend to see that when people can't actually see them, they feel less guilty about being rude and ignore any morals or values they might have. or, there's a good reason behind it, but it doesn't excuse their rudeness. i think it is better to be a lover rather than a fighter, but you will never stamp out all the fighters. if you could, that would just be conforming the whole population. the endless discussions will never end too, they will always reappear in some form later.

i suppose none of us will ever be absolutely "right".

Very well written remarks. And I do not claim to be absolutely right though or know the absolute truth.

I very much like the fact that there still are very articulate and intelligent folk out here. Having an open mind and willingness to even want to see the other's point of view really is all that it takes to have a nice genuine difference of opinions.

Written text does leave out a lot of meaning, something that appears funny to one can be very obnoxious to another. Especially if the timing is missing - something can become hugely inappropriate. Often meaning is just filled in by the reader leaving lots of room for error. Or meaning is exaggerated unintentionally due to lack of body language.

Sadly often people are not aware of this even though it is obviously the case on many a bullet inboard or forum.

cheers , Mark

Exophase posted on May 25 2009 at 07:36 AM said:
Tom` posted on May 25 2009 at 05:17 AM said:
Well, a lot of people probably don't like the Dingoo because they're effectively making money off emulator developers without complying with the terms of their licenses - i. e. not providing a copy of the GPL, an offer of source code, or the code itself in the customary medium. Craig has stated that he will apply pressure to cause this to happen, but we have seen no results as yet.
GPH isn't being totally different with the Wiz though. There's no source out for the version of Linux used in their firmware or SDL they've distributed. This is not just an oversight, they've deliberately asked for Linux source not to be distributed.
I think the bar coin-op machines (the ones on the bar that run dozens of touch screen games) that run linux don't release the source either. It pisses me off that they off-load the development cost of their machines to the free developers and give nothing back. If it's important that your source stay closed and unavailable, then you should use a closed source system or develop your own.

Gamepark really does OWE it to the community to release it.

Has the license ever been tested in court? Not so much Gamepark, but the gpl in general (at least I think that would be the gpl)

Chris

christo930 posted on May 26 2009 at 11:13 PM said:
Has the license ever been tested in court? Not so much Gamepark, but the gpl in general (at least I think that would be the gpl)

Wikipedia: GPL (in court)
This is the brightest part (do read the wiki though):
"On September 6, 2006, the gpl-violations.org project prevailed in court litigation against D-Link Germany GmbH regarding D-Link's copyright infringing use of parts of the Linux Kernel in storage devices they distributed.[37] The judgment provided legal precedent that the GPL is valid, legally binding, and stands in German court.[38]"

Wiz sources (at least a part of it) an be found in this thread.

sbock posted on May 27 2009 at 12:22 AM) Wiz sources (at least a part of it said:
an be found in this thread.
True, but they are not of the latest firmware (they are from somewhere around January or older), and some things don't work there.

I'm quite surprised that GPH is not providing the Wiz sources, since they did the same thing with the GP2X initially. In that case, either they were unaware of their obligations, they had some code that another vendor wouldn't let them distribute, or both, but they really have no excuse now that they understand the terms of the license. The situation with Dingoo is a bit more understandable, being more or less where GPH was when the GP2X was released, so there seems to be some hope.

GPH were actually unhappy with Orkie releasing Linux source on SF. I don't consider a third party effectively leaking something out of date to be compliant.

Exophase posted on May 27 2009 at 06:43 PM said:
GPH were actually unhappy with Orkie releasing Linux source on SF. I don't consider a third party effectively leaking something out of date to be compliant.
I thought they had released the source themselves? The wiki seemed to state that: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GPL_Violation

Looking through this thread has made me realize how much we need Quasist back, he was an excellent source of information and not at all a troll. At least I'm pretty sure he was being serious.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the GPL simply state that there must be a way to get the source, not that it has to be publicly available? Has someone tried emailing GPH and asking for the source?

WizardStan posted on May 28 2009 at 02:28 PM said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the GPL simply state that there must be a way to get the source, not that it has to be publicly available? Has someone tried emailing GPH and asking for the source?
That's not acceptable, at worst they must publicly distribute a way to get the source along with the license information (COPYING file). I wouldn't hedge my bets on e-mailing GPH, they don't exactly have a good record of communicating with us directly.. besides, I already know they don't want the source floating.

Although I do remember getting the current Linux source from somewhere at some point, I'm going to see if I have it. Need it for kernel modules (not going to rely on hacking the version number >_>).. need mmuhack to be in a kernel module.

QUOTE (Tom`)
I thought they had released the source themselves? The wiki seemed to state that: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GPL_Violation

Yeah, for GP2X, not for Wiz.

Back