Who Still Uses Their Gp2x Now That Wiz Is Here?

Who still uses their GP2X (either F100 or F200)

• I don't have a GP2X.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a GP2X but I don't use it.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I have a GP2X and use it all the time.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

I will still use both systems, each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. Wiz is great to take out as it fits easily in your pocket - but the battery isn't easily charged/changed when away from home. The screen on the 2x is nice and big, and I particularly like the F200 screen, nice and bright with great colours - but the whole unit is also bigger so not as portable. Plus On my F200 at least it eats through batteries so you need to carry a load with you.

When it comes to developing I intend to make sure most of games will run well on both systems, certainly won't be deserting the 2X, though I'm sure at some point I will have to make something specifically for the Wiz as that extra bit of power could be good to utilize.

I wish it was a bit louder when I plug in the headphones but for the portability size I love it , even with the leather case on it is still portable . I dont have to suffer from the gp2x big ass ( battery area )

christo930 posted on May 30 2009 at 12:39 AM said:
maxSteiner posted on May 29 2009 at 11:07 PM said:
As far as I'm concerned quality computer games end with the Snes/NeoGeo/Genesis era, so the extra power is meaningless for what Im using it for
I don't see 2 AA power being as bad as people make out either.
Obviously it wont last days between charges, but I honestly don't need it too.

I do accept that I'm probably in a minority here.
But I don't see why people are so quick to pronounce a homebrew/emulation handheld as dead.
How could that ever be the case? If it still works, it still does what it was meant to do and that won't change no matter how powerful latter devices are!
I agree with you. The move to 3d games marked the end of my interest in games. The graphics are starting to get good, but at the time it was a step backwards in graphics and the control is difficult. I realize that many, many other gamers don't feel the same way but you can't force yourself to like something. About the only 3d games I ever enjoyed were racing games, but as I got older and spent more and more time sitting in traffic the idea of playing a game where I am driving just became very unappealing.
Seconded - I enjoy 2d gaming on handhelds but can't get into 3d on a small screen..
In fact the only '3d' game I play on the PC now is Company of Heroes and that's not dependant on being 3d - great game though! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I know that you're saying that the F200 d-pad was so bad that the F100 was good by comparison, but to 'really like' it?

I'm talking about the ones that say 'First Edition' on them (I assume you'd have got one of those too.) I could never get anything but diagonals, the cap kept falling off and left was almost impossible to achieve because the joystick isn't central in the hole.

I'm sure I would have liked my GP2X if it had the GP32 stick :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a DaveC cap for the F100, for one. I'd take a PSP d-pad over that (and a real d-pad over that), but I mean.. as far as GPH hardware goes, the 2x F100 had the better controls, with the gp32 stick besting them all.

GPH hardware always leaves something to be desired, dont' lets get into that :) The diagonal bias is insanely annoying of course, and a million ogther things. I built into my emu an unbiaser of sorts, and let the user select wihch bias style they wanted, etc. The pain! The f200 I got has the mega loud volume problem (thankfully open2x fixes that), and the better screen, but the "d-pad" is just unusable.

jeff

I haven't gotten a WIZ yet. I really don't like what I see in the button configuration of the hardware. I use my old GP2X and I still use my GP32. And lately I have added my dingoo in the mix. :)

i still love my gp2x. the button placement works great for playing tate mode in arcade shmups like guwange and donpachi. lots of great emulators and tons of great homebrew and ports. this stuff doesn't just disappear now that a new system is out.

I still use my GP2X every day.

Wiz doesnt do much more than my GP2X already does, maybe when we start to see some really top notch exclusives that take advantage of the Wiz's architecture I'll buy in?

I also use my good old gp2x daily and it never lets me down (um ok the stick has got displaced once joystick cap loves to fall off sometimes but who cares). It's still the same good feeling as it was in the old days - playing Kof98-99 for hours in the night - having a blast in sonic3k when bored - trying to finish super puzzle fighter on hard mode - or just playing Pooyan on nes emulator...

I have always looked at wanted to have a shiny d-pad modification but never had the skill or guts to do it. I never thought the stick was that bad anyway - I can do all special moves in kof or samurai shodown without difficulty.What would be great imo is that a BLACK gp2x with gp32 stick and runs on 4 batteries for longer life ( I dont like internal rechargables like psp since you cannot replace them for example long travels and the device loses its most important aspect of 'Portability' after years...) Oh and yes better Snes - if only there was a snes emu %70 good of genesis emu and would want nothing more...But cant get all the things at the same time right ;)

Long live GP2X !!!

Although I have a member since the GP2X was released, I only got mine last year. The amount and improving quality of emus, hombrew and the dedication of devs and the wonderful community support always kept me interested. I haven't used my F100 unit much and am going to start using it a lot more now.

Not sure if this thread is intended for non-Wiz owners. But here I am anyway.

My F200 doesn't get used for hours per day like it used to, but still has pride of place in its cradle next to my PC. I pick it up every day or so for a quick button mashing session (or some ScummVM / FreeSCI). The Wiz is really tempting but I can't justify the spend when I'm still satisfied with the F200.

My d-pad mod helps though - without that, I would have stopped enjoying it long ago.

I still use my F100 MK1 daily. I bought it when it came out and have been an addict since. I play some games on it but I mostly use it to watch movies and TV shows. TV out is OK, but nothing great. It's convenient. I love the USB networking and use that alot to port over and test software. I didnt get an F200 because I heard that valuable tool was removed. Did they put it back in the Wiz or is the wifi dongle it's only hope of networking? I cant see not being able to switch batteries mid TV show if they die. I like being able to quickly swap and get back to watching 24 or Spooks or whatever. What would you do on a Wiz?

While mucking about the GP2X with the cover off 2 years ago, a flush mounted capacitor popped off the board. I taped it to a piece of paper with the number on it (C one hundred something) but it still works and I have no clue what that capacitor was for ;-) lol

My cat chewed on the entire power cord over the years and I'm amazed she never shocked herelf. The cord was never reliable to me as I would be watching a show in bed for example and move a little and the GP2X would reset so I was VERY cautious about moving around while plugged in. Batteries were always easier. But just before she passed she left me with the plastic top chewed off the barrel plug. It has messed with the battery bypass switch. When I pull the plug out sometimes the batteries wont work. BUT now the external power works 100% reliable!!! Never a reset! I have to work a paper clip around the GP2X hole to get the batteries working. After a few weeks of this, the plug doesnt go in all the way any more. I feel it obstructed, but it is very reliable and the batteries always work! I remove the batteries before using external power just in case as I dont know what is really going on in there.

Those have been my goofy GP2X experiences! I love that thing! :) And I use it every day and every day and every day!

Couldn't vote because I still haven't bought a wiz. Anyway, I've stopped using the gp2x some time last winter or maybe even autumn. Mostly because the control stick broke and I can't find my spare. Also I was never very satisfied with the gp2x f100 controls, it was good when tilted (TATE somebody said, so that's the word), but I found most other games annoying. So I used it most of the time as a media player, which was nice on bustrips and for the occasional game of CPS2 games etc. I'm looking forward to the wiz though, if it has nearly as good controls as gp32 it'll be perfect. Oh yeah, and I hated the bulkiness of the gp2x. Try working a menial job while your pocket is filled by the damn thing.

I'm preordered for the Pandora and havent bought a wiz so I couldnt vote. My GP2X mk2 does not get the level of play that it did in previous years. I'm not zealously upgrading emulators as soon as they churn out, and I havent tried any new homebrew for a while, but the thing is still my pride and joy. My Palm TX with 32 gb SDHC has taken over the video, music, comic book, and ebook functions since its always in my pocket anyway, has a Rhinoskin Aluminum Case, and a larger screen. But when I want to throw down ,and get the best gaming goodness of any handheld I've got, I go strait to the GP2X. The emulators are so highly polished , and the ingenuity put in by the coding devs is beyond extraordinary. I still get people wanting one after they see it in action. I can be assured that every month when I pick up a copy of Retrogamer I'll be sampling some hitherto unknown gems on my 2x. Hell, there are still multiple emulators I cant wait to try out as soon as I upgrade from a 16 to a 32 gb card (Sega and TG-16 CD and such, as well as some of the more cryptic Euro based computer systems).

The mass exodus of folks selling their GP2Xs to fund the wiz/dingoo/pandora has helped me out alot; as I was concerned that, "gasp" ,one day my faithful companion would die, and I would truly miss it. So, about a month ago I picked up a barely used MK2 in the box with (8) new 2650 MAh batteries and charger,4gb and 2 gb cards, and tvout cables/and official case for 76.00 on ebay. I sent out 6.00 for a couple of sdhc card readers and I've got an awesome time capsule for the day when my beloved GP2X meets its end. Hopefully that will be a long time off, but at least I'm prepared for the eventuality.

As a retrogamer, I know the value of nostalgia, and that no matter how powerful the latest models get, I will still want to re-experience my GP2X many years from now, since it has enabled so many unique and awesome experiences.

Cheers! :)

For the longest time, I thought my GP2X suffered a defect or a brick, because I was using rechargable batteries that weren't strong enough for the GP2X to even boot.
I decided to give it to my brother if he could "unbrick" it, turns out I hadn't touched my Gp2X in years just because of dud batteries. He absolutely loves the thing now.

Case and point, I lack a GP2X now since I'm upgrading to the Wiz, it fixed the major issues for me: Joystick, battery, SDHC, Power, and it added a bunch of stuff.

I'm quite old fashioned and like to keep using old consoles until it finally dies. If I cannot manage to fix it then it will get scrapped. :unsure:

Back