Who Still Uses Their Gp2x Now That Wiz Is Here?

Who still uses their GP2X (either F100 or F200)

• I don't have a GP2X.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a GP2X but I don't use it.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I have a GP2X and use it all the time.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

I don't really use either, but I'd sooner use my d-pad modded GP2X. Controls are much better than the Wiz.

The GP2X-F200 is far better in my opinion as I use it all the time and when the AA batteries run flat then a simple quick change on the move is no problem. Bit of a pain though for the GP2X-Wiz as you'll need to connect to a power outlet source in order to continue playing. Not overly practical whilst on the move though. :(

I sure hope that the GP2X-F100/F200 does not get put aside in terms of developing new games and updates. :huh:

My dev unit batteries seem to dry up fast; I mean, they seem to hold up under use, but the units will drain out to nothing within 2 days used or not. But it is a dev unit...

jeff

Ive retired my F100 Mk2 Gp2x. After the stick cap broke I did my tack dpad mod, which works, but isnt perfect. Plus it a pain to get a pair of AA's working anymore.
I find the wiz enjoyable to use despite the smaller screen.

I do expect though once I have a final pandora (or a really portable version) I will use that more than the wiz. I actually never intended to get a wiz, seems a bit ironic now.

skeezix posted on May 29 2009 at 01:53 PM said:
My dev unit batteries seem to dry up fast; I mean, they seem to hold up under use, but the units will drain out to nothing within 2 days used or not. But it is a dev unit...

jeff
I think this is a problem for everyone. Better get used to having a USB port permanently taken up by it :(

And DaveC was unhappy about the PSP discharging after several weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to replace my gp2x f200 with wiz.
I think that the oled screen of wiz is too small for me and i don't like the screen tearing.
My gp2x has all that I need: wonderful 3,5 ' lcd, good battery life (with varta 2700 mha) and all my favourite emus and games works perfectlyl. :D
Maybe I'll buy Pandora. :unsure:

My Wiz seems to hold its charge for several days - at least five - when not used. At the beginning it self-drained in a day or two, but it seems to have gotten better over time. Perhaps the battery finally got broken in, as I don't think I charged it more than ten times total since I got it.

poll won't let me vote for some reason - i pick the option "I have a GP2X and use it all the time" but not for games! - use it mainly to play MP3 and videos to my English students

I can't vote either, because I have a GP2X and use it all the time, but I don't own a Wiz. And I do like the Wiz, it's just that I'm not planning on getting one right now...

I think the poll will not let you leave the 2nd part (wiz owners) blank. Hence, I didn't vote.

I own the F100 and is still using it although I do not like the d-pad.
I don't have a wiz because I will be receiving the Pandora.

Exophase posted on May 29 2009 at 12:09 PM said:
skeezix posted on May 29 2009 at 01:53 PM said:

jeff
I think this is a problem for everyone. Better get used to having a USB port permanently taken up by it :(

And DaveC was unhappy about the PSP discharging after several weeks.
Everyone, or everyone-with-a-dev-unit?

(Also we have to use the BoB to charge the dev unit, so its doubly annoying; is this a ploy to make us buy a new cable and/or battery? :) For that matter, while chaging mine doesn't show a LED on the side (but the BoB lights up.) Woot :)

Huge credit this round to GPH for the number of dev untis shipped out.

jeff

I still use my DaveC dpad-modded GP2X regularly.

I like reading about the MAME performance boosts for the Wiz, but the rest of the software is still very immature and I am very concerned about the smaller screen size.

I've already put down money for the Pandora and simply can't justify spending another chunk of change for a second new homebrew system.

I never particularly liked my first edition gp2x, mainly because of that joystick. I haven't used it in years. The Wiz however, is brilliant. I am pleased that Gamepark appear to have got it (almost) right this time, much like with the gp32 IMO.

I really like the firts ed gp2x, since the joystick is far superior to the f200's atrocity of a d-pad; now, patching the gp32 stick onto the f100, with the f200 screen, would rule :)

jeff

I use my f100 nearly every single day!

I did originally put down a preorder for a Wiz and a Pandora, but ended up canceling both for various reasons and snapping up an F100 value pack for about £70 on ebay.
I can honestly say Im glad I did as well, otherwise I'd still be waiting! (And waiting for a device which MIGHT do what you want, when theres something here and now which does seemed a bit stupid to me)
As far as I'm concerned quality computer games end with the Snes/NeoGeo/Genesis era, so the extra power is meaningless for what Im using it for (Never mind the fact that I'm pretty skeptical that the Pandora or Wiz could run CPS3 games, and for that matter, how practical is PS1 emulation if you're running off SD cards?).

I don't see 2 AA power being as bad as people make out either.
Obviously it wont last days between charges, but I honestly don't need it too.

Ontop of that, I am interested in learning to code (probably in Fenix), and the GP2X seems a good format, theres not a surplus of power, so at least theres an incentive for clean concise coding

I do accept that I'm probably in a minority here.
But I don't see why people are so quick to pronounce a homebrew/emulation handheld as dead.
How could that ever be the case? If it still works, it still does what it was meant to do and that won't change no matter how powerful latter devices are!

right this time, much like with the gp32 IMO.
I think you might be right about that. The gp32 was the best thing to come out of gamepark so far. The wiz is nice and I hope it does well and it has a nice price point, but I don't think it's a great upgrade from the gp2x. Now if the gp2x was never made and the wiz was the upgrade then I think it would have been awesome and that was my major complaint about the gp2x. I just didn't and don't, think it was a very good upgrade from the gp32 especially if you have a flu or a blu. The backlit screen was the main reason I upgraded my gp32 in the first place. If I had purchased the flu I don't think I would ever have bought a gp2x.

Chris

I don't see 2 AA power being as bad as people make out either.
Obviously it wont last days between charges, but I honestly don't need it too.
I do accept that I'm probably in a minority here.
But I don't see why people are so quick to pronounce a homebrew/emulation handheld as dead.
How could that ever be the case? If it still works, it still does what it was meant to do and that won't change no matter how powerful latter devices are!

I agree with you. The move to 3d games marked the end of my interest in games. The graphics are starting to get good, but at the time it was a step backwards in graphics and the control is difficult. I realize that many, many other gamers don't feel the same way but you can't force yourself to like something. About the only 3d games I ever enjoyed were racing games, but as I got older and spent more and more time sitting in traffic the idea of playing a game where I am driving just became very unappealing. Now if I could hook up some machine guns to the front of my car and an oil pump in the back for spy-hunter style oil slicks, that might be fun.

Chris

Back