Am I The Only Person Who Thinks The Gp2x

Squidge posted on Sep 20 2005 at 07:35 PM said:
It's not exactly difficult to use both processors, but the Linux used on the gp2x at the moment dedicates the second processor to mpeg4 decoding duties, and doesn't allow user code on it. So therefore we need to "hack" it to get it to run our code instead of mpeg4 code.

So at the moment it is just a 200 MHz GP32 with hardware video decoding. So great for movies useless for emus :(

Do you think it will be possible to do this at all or might it not be doable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong, please but dosen't this need to hack simply come from the fact that the magiceyes chip is not open source to anyone except people that sign a NDA? The information these people get could lead to a better understanding of how to access the second cpu for more power or atleast build a better SDK for that purpose...

Even if the second cpu isnt fully programable how much of it is truly locked away? if you can only squeeze 10 or 20 mhz out of it wouldnt that still be helpful to some applications?

And anyway even if it is only 34 mhz faster, it still has a better general purpose CPU than the GP32, 4 face buttons with 2 shoulder buttons, video out, better video playback options (making it less neccesary to re-encode many videos) and more portable apps thanks to linux. it also has a better screen than My FLU.

I paid about $215 for my GP32 FLU from lik-sang, I dont regret that. My PSP cost $250 plus tax (though I cut that by 50 bucks thanks to my credit card cash back bonus) and do not regret it even if I decide to screw the 1.5 FW, I feel pretty certain that the $205 I pay for this sytem through GP32Z will not be in vain because it simply can not be worse than what I paid for my GP32.

DaveC posted on Sep 20 2005 at 08:30 PM said:
So at the moment it is just a 200 MHz GP32 with hardware video decoding. So great for movies useless for emus :(

Do you think it will be possible to do this at all or might it not be doable?

Have you even read the specs?

I've read Mr Mirkos posts and would like to hear him praise the GP2xs qualities, than persecute is "maybe problems"

Goity posted on Sep 20 2005 at 09:02 PM said:
Me thinks that Mirko is jealous of a rival system for his ninja.

You got it, or no, not really...

Well i only read all the stuff here, and was wondering how mutch some people are praising the new gp2x. I read something about 400Mhz machine ( 2x200=400). Or i read something about full speed psx emulation. Or some other stuff from folks, who could be sold, to say this.

Well, the truth is, the gp2x is a great machine, of couse. But its not that thing, what i would ever create. Of couse the machine will run ( in some time in the future) SNES, NEOGEO, Lynx, and others 16 Bit systems.
At this moment iam building a system call free Uae emulator. Easy to port to whatever system. I love to watch old Demos on the run. But the situation of the gp2x CPU, makes it very difficult to get full power out of the machine. It is HARD work to enable the second core in your emulator. Just crosscompiling will not speed up anything. You need to know, what should run on the second core.
Lets say iam running the 68000 cpu emulation on the first core, and the rest on the second core. That would offer a full speed Uae Emulator. To find out, how to do this, is very difficult, couse noone ( or better I ) does not have a gp2x.

So every Emulator, that is not running full speed on an gp32, needs tweaking on the gp2x, to use the second core. Remember, gp2x is default not that big faster.

Of couse its not only the CPU who makes a System fast. It depends on Ram access. I dont know if the gp2x uses faster Ram. But a look to the datasheet, offers, only SD-Ram support. So, not faster...

The only thing i want to say here is, that noone ( or i ) can say anything about the real speed about the gp2x. Couse i have not run any test on the system. I can only read the cpu pdfs, and think my part.

I must also say, that at this time, there is no real alternative to the gp2x. For Homebrew, its the best machine out there. For Emulation stuff on the go, the gp2x could be the next successor.

The psp/ gp2x discussion is very hard to understand. You must descide, for what YOU are using your machine. Video/ emus /3d games/ w-lan.
If you would ask me, my dream machine, would be something between the psp and a gp2x.

cu

mr.mirko posted on Sep 20 2005 at 03:24 PM said:
If you would ask me, my dream machine, would be something between the psp and a gp2x.

cu

And a laptop, cellphone, pda, gps, and dvd player.
Sorry I just had to say that.

It has SD cards, better controlles, tv out, faster proccessors, more ram, AWSOME video and music. Its just BETTER. I don't have a gp32, but have always wanted one. This is going to be an awsome machine. Plus we will be able to OverClock it to about 233mhz or 250mhz (just a guess, but seems very possible).

yeah, i'd love for there to be something between the psp and gp2x, too. you can't have it all, though :(

reallynotnick posted on Sep 20 2005 at 09:40 PM said:
It has SD cards, better controlles, tv out, faster proccessors, more ram, AWSOME video and music. Its just BETTER. I don't have a gp32, but have always wanted one. This is going to be an awsome machine. Plus we will be able to OverClock it to about 233mhz or 250mhz (just a guess, but seems very possible).

Mr.Mirko posted on Sep 20 2005 at 09:40 PM said:
... Or some other stuff from folks, who could be sold, to say this.

I would call this ironic...

Personaly I dont expect nor do I really need portable PS1, and No I dont concider the PSP to be Portable PS1, (more ps2 than ps1 but I'm only buying new games not the ports anyway). I would Like Portable SNES and I have hopes that the machine is atleast poweful enough to emmulate something more than what we have on the GP32, No I dont know it but honestly if they weren't going to improve the device much more why bother? so I have to believe there's something more in the box than just a GP32 with better video and an SD card slot.

But c'mon.

Would you REALLY play PS1 games, apart from a VERY select few? It seems most people would like to play some of the better RPGs. While the SNES libary is mostly timeless classics.

Of course everyone would love n64 but that needs so much processing power I doubt even the PSP could do it. and I doubt "project ninja" could do it too

My Laptop (1.7ghz P3) just BARELY does N64 without trouble so it'd take a SIZABLE bit of mini hardware portable to handle it, thusly I dont expect anything working right now to do it unless they're doing it in wireframe mode without sound.

I wonder just how many games these PPCs play besides ridgeracer (which BTW is one of the most FIRST of the first gen titles for the system.) it's like that's the only game I ever hear being played.

Phil posted on Sep 20 2005 at 04:08 PM said:
But c'mon.

Would you REALLY play PS1 games, apart from a VERY select few? It seems most people would like to play some of the better RPGs. While the SNES libary is mostly timeless classics.

I think you're looking back at the SNES with rose-coloured glasses. I loved the SNES too, but there was a ton of garbage released for that machine, same as the PSX. I can honestly say there are as many PSX games I'd like to play on an emulator as there are SNES, but I don't have any illusions about them being emulated at anything even close to full speed on ANY current generation portable console. I'm including the PSP in that.

But hey, if anyone manages to pull it off, I'll take a day off of work in your name as a religious holiday.

the gp2x have no slightly better cpu, it have a DUAL 200mhz cpu, wich is way better than a 200mhz cpu alone. 64 mb of ram is like the double of the psp too, and it have a 2d accelerator.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 20 2005 at 06:17 PM said:
My Laptop (1.7ghz P3) just BARELY does N64 without trouble so it'd take a SIZABLE bit of mini hardware portable to handle it, thusly I dont expect anything working right now to do it unless they're doing it in wireframe mode without sound.

I wonder just how many games these PPCs play besides ridgeracer (which BTW is one of the most FIRST of the first gen titles for the system.) it's like that's the only game I ever hear being played.

You compare a laptop to a game machine? Look, n64 emulators won't be doable on gpx2, but comparing
an emulator running on a laptop to an emulator running on a handheld? C'mon. That's just not the same thing. an xbox can run a 64 emulator correctly....while my 2000mhz computer barely can.

I wasn't compareing it directly. I said it'd take a SIZABLE bit of hardware to emulate it, My machine isn't top of the line by today's standards and neither is the 2X, Yeah it's good and will fit many of our needs, but it's not THAT (points to "sizeable") good.

Back