Release Which of the most-likely-not-emulated systems do you want?

M.J.B. said:
super smash bros, and legend of zelda games would blow my mind. FYI the pandora DEFINATELY has enough power to emulate n64. 93mhz (n64 tech specs) x 9= 837mhz which is easily enough to be emulated. Besides, n64 emulation is the only reason i'll be getting a pandora. AND zodttd said it was possible at playable speeds (can't find link)

Please don't try to estimate feasibility of emulation by multiplying CPU clock speed by a number.

CC_machine said:
:lol: I didn't list PS2 because... well, thats kinda like trying to emulate Nintendo on a toaster. 99.9% sure its not gonna happen, it'll probably be attempted, but the likelyhood of anything fullspeed is s close to nil its not worth bothering.

(I hope this isn't considered trolling.)

This isn't technically emulating, but it is a nintendo in a toaster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig9-wX0a ... re=channel

On-topic: I would love to have a DC emulator, but n64 would be my next hoped for emulator.

For me, it'll be: Oric, Oric Atmos, Telestrat and so on ..

Also, I'll probably port EDSAC/BCPL, just for the lulz. I do so love me some ancients.

The title is "most-likely-not-emulated".
Why are people posting systems which already have emulators, like the Dreamcast?
Or systems which are "likely-emulated-eventually-maybe" like the N64?
Know what I'd like to see: a pong emulator. An honest to God emulator, not a clone. Often imitated, never duplicated. Something that actually reproduces the hardware in the original machine. Now THAT is likely to not be emulated.
I've been through my considerable list of systems that I'd love to see emulated, only to discover that anything over 10 years old already has an emulator.

ibisum said:

Also, I'll probably port EDSAC/BCPL, just for the lulz. I do so love me some ancients.

I'd quite like to see an Oric emulator too. But then there's one on the DS, so perhaps it's not totally unlikely that one will turn up on the Pandora.

barnesy said:
ibisum said:

I'd quite like to see an Oric emulator too. But then there's one on the DS, so perhaps it's not totally unlikely that one will turn up on the Pandora.

Really glad to hear I'm not the only one who knows what an Oric is! :) And actually its surprising how may Oric emu's there are out there .. I think I'll definitely be trying to get a port done once I get my hands on the Pandora hardware ..

N64, Dreamcast, and GBA in that order.

N64: in my opinion, has the single best library of any console in history.

Dreamcast: Never owned one, but played some games on it. I'm personally looking at Centipede.

Yes, there are no problems with using the right analog stick for the C-buttons for the Zelda games on N64. I played the games emulated on the Gamecube, they work just fine with that control scheme.

As for the Playstation's extra shoulder buttons, I think--and correct me if I'm wrong here, it is entirely possible I am--I heard that the analog nubs will be able to "click". That could be used, if I'm right.

WizardStan said:
The title is "most-likely-not-emulated".
Why are people posting systems which already have emulators, like the Dreamcast?
Or systems which are "likely-emulated-eventually-maybe" like the N64?
Know what I'd like to see: a pong emulator. An honest to God emulator, not a clone. Often imitated, never duplicated. Something that actually reproduces the hardware in the original machine. Now THAT is likely to not be emulated.
I've been through my considerable list of systems that I'd love to see emulated, only to discover that anything over 10 years old already has an emulator.

I posted this thread long, long, long before the PSP and Dreamcast emulators being worked on were announced.

A Pong emulator? Wow. How pointless. Sure, we'd all like the original instead of a clone, but the clones are so close to it it's not worth bothering. :)

CC_machine said:
I posted this thread long, long, long before the PSP and Dreamcast emulators being worked on were announced.
yes, but people have posted since to re-iterate the exact same requests.

A Pong emulator? Wow. How pointless. Sure, we'd all like the original instead of a clone, but the clones are so close to it it's not worth bothering. :)
Dang skippy it is! Pointless endeavors are usually the most fun! :D

WizardStan said:
CC_machine said:
Dang skippy it is! Pointless endeavors are usually the most fun! :D

If you're gonna do it that way, might as well emulate the original oscilloscope setup that the first 'PONG' games were played on, before the game went commercial.

Don't just be pointless, be -Completely- pointless.

CC_machine said:

I know that a DC emulator was announced, but I thought I had since read that it's not looking too feasible to get it running at a usable speed at this point.

I know this has to be a complete pipe dream, but it would be kind of nice to have a PS2 emulator. For the two good games that I have.

sixstringmonk said:
CC_machine said:

I know that a DC emulator was announced, but I thought I had since read that it's not looking to feasible to get it running at a usable speed at this point.

I wouldn't say that, it was running 1/3rd-1/2 speed at 500mhz on a beagleboard, and that was months ago. Even with that early build, a few games should be playable when clocked to 900mhz.

fischju said:
sixstringmonk said:
CC_machine said:

I know that a DC emulator was announced, but I thought I had since read that it's not looking to feasible to get it running at a usable speed at this point.

I wouldn't say that, it was running 1/3rd-1/2 speed at 500mhz on a beagleboard, and that was months ago. Even with that early build, a few games should be playable when clocked to 900mhz.

They were very vocal in the beginning, and it looked promising. For now, they're under the radar, so we'll sit here with bated breath until they feel it's time to show us something again. It should give the N64 crowd confidence that it's a matter of time and effort, not capability.

anexanhume said:
fischju said:
<snip>

They were very vocal in the beginning, and it looked promising. For now, they're under the radar, so we'll sit here with bated breath until they feel it's time to show us something again. It should give the N64 crowd confidence that it's a matter of time and effort, not capability.

Since there is a gap between the Pandora's hardware and their beagleboard test setup it may be that they're waiting for the actual Pandora hardware to get better test results before moving on with the project.

Dauric said:
Since there is a gap between the Pandora's hardware and their beagleboard test setup it may be that they're waiting for the actual Pandora hardware to get better test results before moving on with the project.

There isn't a whole lot of one.

Exophase said:
Dauric said:

There isn't a whole lot of one.

It is/was a factor of 2 (according to other post ^, and without more current project data). That's not insubstantial.

It may be bet-hedging on their part, but given the flaming-s41t-storms that have erupted around the delays in manufacturing of the Pandora, it's not unreasonable for them to wait to test on a completed device before announcing their emulator's capabilities.

Dauric said:
It is/was a factor of 2 (according to other post ^, and without more current project data). That's not insubstantial.

It may be bet-hedging on their part, but given the flaming-s41t-storms that have erupted around the delays in manufacturing of the Pandora, it's not unreasonable for them to wait to test on a completed device before announcing their emulator's capabilities.

How do you account for this factor of two? They're using the exact same SoC and I wouldn't expect uniformly better yields for the ones in the Beagle than the ones in the Pandora. Even if that were the case drkIIraziel has already stated that he's highly opposed to overclocking so it isn't going to make a difference to nullDC development.

Sure, there are some other factors that could affect things, but they also use the same power IC (Triton 2 chip). The current supply source is a little different, since Beagle's primary power is off of USB. But that's up to 500mA at 5V (2500W), and I'm sure that the OMAP3530 doesn't consume that under any conditions. The board also doesn't have a screen.

There are some differing support chips on both ends but nothing that'd be much of an asset to the emulator.

The honest to God truth is that OMAP3530 is rated for 500MHz operation while in "normal" mode and 600MHz operation in "overdrive" mode. They're probably all capable of running at 600MHz, but you're not supposed to run it at this all the time. All of the Pandora boards that I know of have been capable of getting 900MHz in overdrive mode and in excess of 750MHz in normal mode, but we don't know yet if this will happen across the board,

Back