[Release] Keep In Touch

foxblock

Asleep
Hello everybody,

today I want to show you something I have been working on for some time now. I always had it ready on my computer but never took the time to release it, but today is that time.

Introduction
The thing I am talking about is a synchronisation tool.
I always want to keep my mp3-player up to date with my music library as I add new songs or edit the ID3 tags of older ones. I know some media players like MediaMonkey have a built in synch function, but I never was really satisfied by that, mostly because it did not let me customize enough or it was to complicated to do.
So I went ahead and built my own program in Delphi. After some months of work (including a complete rewrite of the code and layout) this is the result.
It is a lightweight, simple, yet powerful tool to do all your synchronisation business, be it keeping you music library up to date or creating a backup. It is also designed to be user friendly as it features a built in help and a "Easy profile creator" to get new users started.
There currently is no "real" written help, so if you have a question or a problem or a bug or an error or whatever just ask me here and I will be glad to help.

Usage
The basic idea of the program is to use categories to synch certain packages of data. Each category has a source and a destination path as well as a filter string to generate the file list (as some other options). You can create a profile, containing multiple categories, for every device you have so you can easily load the appropriate one and synch the devices with few clicks (after you have set the profile up).
Additionally you can use a playlist file to do the filter job for you. You can use an ordinary .m3u playlist file and in this case every line - representing a file - will be synchronized. You can use this if you have limited space and already created a playlist containing your favourite music, for example.

This is beta version of course, so there may be bugs (which I encourage you to tell me) and also some functions are still missing.

To do
  • Exclude filters
  • Auto loading of program/profile if device is plugged in
  • More category options
  • General program options
Known issues
  • There sometimes is an access violation error after you start the program put it in the background and reactivate it again. I can't reproduce that right now, it is really odd, but nothing critical - just ignore it for now.
If you have a feature request, go ahead and tell me!
If you have a comment, be it positive or negative, also please tell me - I only can learn from mistakes!

Then without further talking, the download link (you'll also find screenshots there):

Download / Screenshots
http://brainmash.pir.../labs/index.php

Play around with it a bit, just don't use it for critical files or create a backup first. It really should not break any files or delete some if you don't tell it to, but you never know (I use it for more than half a year now and had not a single problem yet).

foxblock out

Back