What's The Difference Between Pocketsnes And Squidgesnes?

tkeely4777

Still Fresh
I've been using pocketsnes as my prime for some time now, but i recently downloaded squidge snes (and swapped out for the newest *.gpe) to see if it could run Megaman X2 and 3...which I'm happy to report it does, and incredibly smoothly, as well...after a while, I started trying other roms, ones that I had been using on pocket snes, and they're running a lot smoother here....

Should I switch? What are the other advantages to this one over pocketsnes, or vice-versa? Thanks to all who reply!

I don't have a technical answer for you, but some games run better on one emulator, and some run better on the other. There is also a third, NKs SNES emulator, which I prefer for Donkey Kong Country and a few other games (I am using the version of NKs emu that you can overclock, and has saves/savestates compatible and in the same place as SquidgeSNES - I think it is a hack).

So my answer is, have all 3 and use the one that plays your game best for each game.

WhizzBang is right on the money with his answer :) Sometimes it's just a personal opinion (eg. DaveC hates the menu in SS so doesn't like to use it)

i've moved over to pocketsnes now due to transparencies doing the business there, but i very much miss the SS menu - is the only one i have seen so far on the gp2x that has any character to it rather than just being functional.

I use Pocket SNES almost exclusively. When you enable all features that make a SNES a SNES such as transparencies and rasters it runs better than SS.

SS is good if you don't mind stripping out all of the above effects. It will run smoother in that case.

I hope that Reesy would consider optimising PocketSNES a bit. In that case it would be incredible.

Squidge posted on Mar 21 2007 at 01:05 PM said:
WhizzBang is right on the money with his answer :) Sometimes it's just a personal opinion (eg. DaveC hates the menu in SS so doesn't like to use it)

I don't really hate the menu in SS. It could be a bit more intuitive but it is useable.

I don't use it much because it doesn't seem to render as well as DRPS with transparencies and rasters. I think the soound gets stuttery as well. I should go back and test it again. Maybe my memory is not correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should wait until the next version before testing it again, as zip support is a little broken in the current public release.

DaveC posted on Mar 21 2007 at 05:29 PM said:
SS is good if you don't mind stripping out all of the above effects. It will run smoother in that case.
Which for many games, aren't needed.

Orkie posted on Mar 21 2007 at 06:23 PM said:
DaveC posted on Mar 21 2007 at 05:29 PM said:
Which for many games, aren't needed.

Well they may not be "needed" as in you can play it without. You also can play without sound too. But with all of the things that make it look nice stripped out it looks a bit pants. Right now it is a choice between looking nice and more accurate but slower, or faster and more plain. I still think Pocket SNES is a better renderer, I am not sure why the SNES9X renderer is still held on to.

I still think Pocket SNES is a better renderer, I am not sure why the SNES9X renderer is still held on to.

errr, because the PocketSNES renderer *IS* the SNES9X renderer?

The one used in SquidgeSNES is simply the SNES9X renderer, optimised.

Also, I notice a lot of games, that when you rip out all the special effects, it seems to make that small amount of a difference, it's not worth the performance penalty. I'm sure other people feel the same way too, such as Orkie.

Squidge posted on Mar 22 2007 at 08:43 PM said:
I still think Pocket SNES is a better renderer, I am not sure why the SNES9X renderer is still held on to.

errr, because the PocketSNES renderer *IS* the SNES9X renderer?

The one used in SquidgeSNES is simply the SNES9X renderer, optimised.

Really? ok but that is odd.

I wonder why it is that rasters seem to slow down SS (and the PSP TYL emu too BTW) so much, where as in DRPS they really don't have as much of a performance hit? I tried both emus with the same game and rasters/transparencies on and it seemed smoother on DRPS with better sound. SS seemed more frameskippy and the sound stuttered. It is weird I don't understand what the reason there was, especially if they are the same renderer. They seem to act different.

Back