What would you like to see?

Wow!  Web browsing is so freaking fast!!! very nice.  It's fast using hdmi out, I can imagine it's faster with the native Pyra screen with no hdmi out?

Also, I didn't know that Pyra is pronounced "Peer Rah" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was telling you guys web browsing wouldn't be an issue, but I guess one video is worth a hundred forum posts.
Well, it's because we only trust Ed ;)

Edit:  Citrix is running good on Pandora now, it will an awesome experience on "Peer Rah" for me.  My money is ready Ed!

I wish the Pyra had a kickstarter.  It would help spread word of it and if funded, would help the development of the Pyra and it could be made a bit cheaper.

https://imgflip.com/i/ely0d

ely0d.jpg

Scared of slow webbrowsing?

Here is vanilla Iceweasel (FireFox) directly on a not-overclocked Devboard in FullHD :)
Very nice, already much fastert han everything I've got to run under the Pandora Firefox. :)  Never heared of "Iceweasel", funny name. ^^ 

Impressive that youtube Videos already work (html5?). And the html5 games also run decent, there are alot of possibilities I can see already. 

Scared of slow webbrowsing?

Here is vanilla Iceweasel (FireFox) directly on a not-overclocked Devboard in FullHD :)
Very nice, already much fastert han everything I've got to run under the Pandora Firefox. :)  Never heared of "Iceweasel", funny name. ^^ 

Impressive that youtube Videos already work (html5?). And the html5 games also run decent, there are alot of possibilities I can see already. 
Yeah I just tried the same game on the Pandora, the CPU Power is clearly not on the same category! Interesting  :p

Watching ED play one of his favorite games: ET, the fixed version, for the Atari 2600. 
You want to make people be interested in the device, not scare them with bad games and let them run away. :D
It sounds like the changes that were made showed that the game can be very good.  I would like to give it a try some time.

Edit:

Awesome video, ED.  I really appreciate it.  Looking forward to some more.  As you showed, it should be enough for some moderate browsing.  We may not be able to have tons of tabs, but enough that it shouldn't be a problem.  

Back on the first page a few of us asked about LibreOffice.  Is that possible at this point?  If you do a video of that with some sizable documents and such, it might be nice to see how it would work with a browser running a few tabs, as well.  If that works well enough I might need to find a way to have enough money to preorder.

I am a bit curious if Metasploit would be worthwhile to try on a Pyra.  Here are the requirements: http://www.rapid7.com/products/metasploit/system-requirements.jsp

Watching ED play one of his favorite games: ET, the fixed version, for the Atari 2600. 
You want to make people be interested in the device, not scare them with bad games and let them run away. :D
It sounds like the changes that were made showed that the game can be very good.  I would like to give it a try some time.

Edit:

Awesome video, ED.  I really appreciate it.  Looking forward to some more.  As you showed, it should be enough for some moderate browsing.  We may not be able to have tons of tabs, but enough that it shouldn't be a problem.  
How many tabs do you have open?

I already had twice as many open as I usually have - and there wasn't a huge slowdown...

How many tabs do you have open? I can try doing that on the devboard as well :)

EvilDragon, on 26 Nov 2014 - 5:28 PM, said: vanilla Iceweasel

c29950ba2ee0c1569b5efed75138c797.jpg

How many tabs do you have open? I can try doing that on the devboard as well  :)
At present I have 21, with 5 of those being older, that I need to finish up with.  I had many more open earlier when I was comparing sunrise/sunset in various locations at different times of the year (which led to sundials, so even more tabs).  When I am researching things it quickly gets a bit silly.  I have at times been in the realm you mentioned in the video (I think you said "hundreds" and I know one time I was 100+ for a few weeks, and I had them all combined under other tabs...does that make sense?  They were grouped together.).

For light use, such as checking in here, and other basic stuff, what you showed was plenty. Normal use for me is in the 20-40 tab range.  I still get up into the 60s when I am trying to find out details of certain things, and that often includes wikipedia articles, news articles, forums, as well as more technical and official sources.  I am just happy we have tabbed browsers now.  It used to get pretty messy.

I already had twice as many open as I usually have - and there wasn't a huge slowdown...
Yeah, in the video it looked decent.  I will just have to make sure to keep things sensible; I know I am on the extreme side at times.  Out of curiosity how many tabs do you usually use?

How many tabs do you have open? I can try doing that on the devboard as well :)
At present I have 21, with 5 of those being older, that I need to finish up with. I had many more open earlier when I was comparing sunrise/sunset in various locations at different times of the year (which led to sundials, so even more tabs). When I am researching things it quickly gets a bit silly. I have at times been in the realm you mentioned in the video (I think you said "hundreds" and I know one time I was 100+ for a few weeks, and I had them all combined under other tabs...does that make sense? They were grouped together.).

For light use, such as checking in here, and other basic stuff, what you showed was plenty. Normal use for me is in the 20-40 tab range. I still get up into the 60s when I am trying to find out details of certain things, and that often includes wikipedia articles, news articles, forums, as well as more technical and official sources. I am just happy we have tabbed browsers now. It used to get pretty messy.

Yeah, in the video it looked decent. I will just have to make sure to keep things sensible; I know I am on the extreme side at times. Out of curiosity how many tabs do you usually use?
Same here, I've had so many eBay and the samba (I'm a vintage Volkswagen guy.. maybe another reason why I like the Pandora lol) so my browser looks more like a filing cabinet then... a browser.

Oh, yeah.  I forgot about ebay when "I want it now!", or for things common enough that  bargain hunting is possible.  My Pandora has replaced a bunch of the things I used to look for.  Maybe now I should sell them on ebay.

How about compiling mplayer? I used to do this on every new installation to make sure I had a complete build environment.

It used to take about 15-20 minutes on a Celeron M 1.3GHz depending on which features and codecs was included in the build. It has of course grown a lot since then, but I think it still gives a good impression of the performance.

I haven't personally used it much, but I know Phoronix has developed a test suite of their own for repeatable tests across a wide range of hardware. Perhaps that could be an option?

Nice video ED

Correct

Is there a chance to have a video of the Dreamcast emulation (like at Gamescom, without acceleration) with Skyes of Arcadia and/or Shenmue ? 

Lots of people we met during French events were very impressed by Shenmue. In fact, people who have known Sega and the Dreamcast  :)

Back