What will a Pyra be able to do that the OpenPandora can't do now?

Compared to the Pandora the Pyra will be more able to do multitasking. So the Pandora could do music, the Pyra will do music while gaming. Pandora could do web browsing, the Pyra will probably do browsing while gaming (for looking up stuff, walkthrough or a forum with recommendation for settings). This is I guess the biggest added functionality.
You will also get some new parts so you can use internet on the road, but that is only a game-changer for people that aren't at home.
The Pandora did TV, but the Pyra will do HDMI monitors. So Pyra will also become a bit more serious if it comes to work-related applications and being a tiny laptop.

I used to listen to music while testing out new games on my Pandora, until some releases started coming out that wouldn't play audio if music was already being played.

But yeah, I'd love to have HDMI output on my Pandora now, especially because I broke the LCD connector trying to repair it, so now it only outputs graphics via its SD-only EXT port.

Compared to the Pandora the Pyra will be more able to do (more) multitasking. So the Pandora could do music, the Pyra will do music while gaming. Pandora could do web browsing, the Pyra will probably do browsing while gaming (for looking up stuff, walkthrough or a forum with recommendation for settings). This is I guess the biggest added functionality.

Totally agreed with that.

You will also get some new parts so you can use internet on the road, but that is only a game-changer for people that aren't at home.
The Pandora did TV, but the Pyra will do HDMI monitors. So Pyra will also become a bit more serious if it comes to work-related applications and being a tiny laptop.

The mobile Internet thing is okay, but I would still prefer Wi-Fi. i think my Smartphone is the only thing I would use mobile broadband with anyway.

I used to listen to music while testing out new games on my Pandora, until some releases started coming out that wouldn't play audio if music was already being played.

That sounds like ALSA being shitty. I don't remember why, but I've had that problem before with ALSA. Does the Pandora use PulseAudio? Even so, could happen with Pulse. Sometimes output on the terminal says that sound or ALSA resource is already used, or it says device or resource busy, or something like that. I really can't remember...

The mobile Internet thing is okay, but I would still prefer Wi-Fi. i think my Smartphone is the only thing I would use mobile broadband with anyway.
I will also most likely get the Wifi only model, but I generally do see some value for some who travel a bit.

Does the Pandora use PulseAudio?
The Pandora doesn't, the Pyra will most likely will have it default.

What do you mean? Purchase a Pandora?
I guess he is referring to the Pandoras "almost out of production status" and the fact that every Pandora ED puts up in his shop is usually sold within a few hours.

Last edited:
Low Resolution (800 * 480)

800*480 on such a small screen cannot be called "Low resolution", unless you then call everything around you, including your ipad and your television, low resolution as well.
[doublepost=1453712860,1453712770][/doublepost]
Vey small amount of RAM.

As far as I know there is no application that we could not port on Pandora because of its lack of RAM. 512 is plenty for most of what you want to do with it. I'd rather say the CPU itself is what is making things harder in the end, not the RAM.
[doublepost=1453712916][/doublepost]
Still using mine daily...

Same here. I dont understand why one would stop using it. I kind of stopped using it for browsing the web, but for many other purposes its still a perfectly fine device.
[doublepost=1453713161][/doublepost]All things considered, the key changes worth getting with the Pyra are : 1) HDMI out, because that technically turns your Pyra into a full desktop computer anytime. 2) faster SoC, making it possible to run most of the software much faster - making a real, productive desktop experience possible, as well as making it better for gaming.

Of course, all the other improvements are much welcome, but for me that's what stands out the most.

Shine in the Darkness, imitate a Macbook whit it ilumiatet lid logo,
and it will get a sticker whit "Made in Germany and Greece"
During the Greece Crisis, our hight serious boulevar magazin "BILD" hatet a lot on Greece..
So Pyra will help, to bring Germany and Greece together..

I loved the Pandora but mine is pretty much dead now. I am looking forward because the Pyra seam to address every problem the Pandora had and give me more.

The Pandora is like having a PC with an 800MHz processor, 512MB of memory a Voodoo 1 GPU and 800x480 monitor, with (typically) poor Wifi built in. The main difference is there is a loving community that has made a lot of software run on these humble specifications which has helped it stay current (even today!).

The Pyra is leaping forward in terms of specification, it is more inline with mobile phones from the last couple of years, has a screen which is a lot more web capable (resolution wise) and (presumably) connectivity options (Wifi/3G/4G) that will make it a suitable device for browsing the web. Faster, prettier games and more useful applications with the extra screen real estate.

Realistically, unless you have a very specific usage requirement that the Pandora fits very well, the Pyra will almost certainly be the device to get. It's like sure a PC from 15 years ago is still potentially okay to buy and use now, if you want very specific software that runs well on it, but realistically most people want a PC that can load up a webpage pretty quickly and give them access to 'current' applications and websites.

What do you mean? Purchase a Pandora?

He probably means a Pandora can be bought from shop, you can't do that currently with a Pyra. (I think this the logical answer, but he then confused us by switching Pyra/Pandora from the topics starters question).

The additional controls add some capabilities for emulation of systems with 6 keys. The enhanced keyboard also makes it more suitable for work related applications (and it's more cool looking).

"purchase one new from a shop" -- means that the Pyra you can purchase as a brand new device, whereas the Pandora is one you can only get second hand. (it's out of production, after all.)

There are still new (rebirth spec, I think) Pandoras waiting to be put up on the shop; all the components are now out of production, but there's still stock waiting to be assembled too.

Back