What Is Possible On 256mb Ram?

Frets on fire is not ideal for the pandora... it was never really the ram that was a problem afaik it is that it uses python and needs a fast computer and GPU not to lag i have 1.8ghz 512mb ram and a geforce2 w/ 64mb vram and it still lags

On my athlon 1200 with geforce 4 ti 64 mb and 256 MB of Ram it runs very well when you deactivate the whole eyecandy and antialiasing. there is a mod for a minimal but very usable setup.

And evildragon said the new ram is 30% faster in general

<EvilDrago> Au�erdem sind die 256MB 30% schneller ;)

From german irc channel

mcobit said:
And evildragon said the new ram is 30% faster in general

Do you have a link? If this is on the German board then is there any other info?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 30% and 20% thing are one in the same, it results in linux being 20-30% faster but it's probably more to do with Linux being clever with the extra RAM than the actual RAM being faster... we think. There is more talk about this on the beagle chat logs.

I think this will mostly be a boon for applications like firefox.
It used to run acceptably on my Zaurus with 64mb of ram, but you couldn't do anything else at the same time... heaven forfend you tried to use amarok and firefox at the same time! :eek:

This will really make it a useful device as you won't have to chose between gaming and UMPC things, enough ram for both. :D

I say we hand out 64MB versions to all lazy coders, just to assure better multitasking capability :D

If you want to know if the RAM is faster can't you just lock up half the RAM and then do a comparison?

Now Quake 3 won't need to have drastically altered data. We could now port Quake 3 without having to modify the data and thus be compatible with the PC version.

Eniko said:
It'll make it possible for coders to be more sloppy about their memory management.

signed,
lazy coder

:D
Or maybe the coders will strive for better battery life by making more efficient code. ;)

Btw, Nice Avatar. What's it from?

-God Ginrai

Julius said:
I think Svartalf said that some of the PC ports he looked into were really running into a memory problem with only 128MB.
Yeah, one should keep in mind, your OS, framebuffer, textures, and vertex data all have to go into the 128Mb of system RAM in the old machine- it starts getting crowded and you have to hack around issues when you talk about something that wants 64Mb on an x86 machine (In practicality, most of the "cool" titles sit in the 64-128Mb footprint...). With 256Mb of RAM, you don't have to worry quite as much about things.

Soul Ride MIGHT have fit in there with no issues.
Ballistics would have failed.
Bandits would have failed.
Freespace2 MIGHT have fit in there.

Now, all of them will pretty much go in once the work's done. :D

God Ginrai said:
Or maybe the coders will strive for better battery life by making more efficient code. ;)
No kidding. I'm so obnoxious about that sort of thing (Why write sloppy code? Sloppy tends to be unstable and crash at random times... Sloppy code causes delays in releases of games, even (See: Bandits...I've got to overhaul the *&^!#@ sound code that a sloppy coder before I laid hands on it wrote...))

cb88 said:
Frets on fire is not ideal for the pandora... it was never really the ram that was a problem afaik it is that it uses python and needs a fast computer and GPU not to lag i have 1.8ghz 512mb ram and a geforce2 w/ 64mb vram and it still lags
Guitarfun would be more easy to port to pandora and can play Freatonfire music ^^

Back