What Is Possible On 256mb Ram?

mali said:
Quake was my first 3D FPS(well, it was the first real 3D FPS, actually)

Naw... I still remember Wolfenstein 3D! But understandably, there has been some controversy about its distribution in some countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
sverm said:
mali said:

Naw... I still remember Wolfenstein 3D! But understandably, there has been some controversy about its distribution in some countries.

I meant real to be fully 3D, where the NPCs are 3D, too ;)

mali said:
Patrick R Ludvigsen said:
And I enjoyed both Doom 3 and Quake 4, the core gameplay is basically the old games with new graphics (just how it should be) :)
I agree :)
Quake was my first 3D FPS(well, it was the first real 3D FPS, actually) and I still like the dark dungeon style of those games. Doom 3 is very similar to the first Quake :)

My first 3D FPS was Unreal Tournament

Also, Quake I + DarkPlaces engine + Rygel Texture Pack + Nightmare difficulty = sexiest portable RPG possible

mali said:
sverm said:
mali said:

I meant real to be fully 3D, where the NPCs are 3D, too ;)

Mine was Descent, which did come out before Quake btw.

Patrick R Ludvigsen said:
And I enjoyed both Doom 3 and Quake 4, the core gameplay is basically the old games with new graphics (just how it should be) :)

Quake 4 may (or may not, haven't tried it) like the original Quake, but Doom 3 plays *nothing* like the original Doom(unfortunately). The joy of Doom was running around trying to shoot as many things as possible. You only had to be facing an alien to actually hit it, no worries about aiming your weapon separately. And none of that storyline bulls*** getting in the way of the game. To me Doom 3 was a massive disappointment, though I pretty much expected it to be. If somebody could recreate to original Doom with awesome graphics then I truly would be a happy man.

javaJake said:
cbp said:
This is the article I read: http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jht...eetimes_newsRSS

From what I can tell, these free codecs are specifically for the DaVinci processor series. We're using the OMAP processors, so we're not included.

Ehm... Wasn't the pandora supposed to have a DaVinci-compatible as dedicated processor for audio and videos? Wikipedia states this, but now I feel like it is somewhat wrong :p

Also, I found this: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=666573
It really seems that no DaVinci is present in the chip. Sadly :p

EDIT: but OMAP 3530 should have video and audio acceleration as well...

icurafu said:
Mine was Descent, which did come out before Quake btw.
Ah, yes of course :)
I liked it very much. It is a first person shooter, you are right.

sverm said:
mali said:

Wolf was stretched 2D. Now Ultima Underworld, on the other hand... ;)

edit: Whoa, I just realized I could play UUW and UUW2 on Pandora.

kattle87 said:
javaJake said:
cbp said:
This is the article I read: http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jht...eetimes_newsRSS

From what I can tell, these free codecs are specifically for the DaVinci processor series. We're using the OMAP processors, so we're not included.

Ehm... Wasn't the pandora supposed to have a DaVinci-compatible as dedicated processor for audio and videos? Wikipedia states this, but now I feel like it is somewhat wrong :p

Also, I found this: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=666573
It really seems that no DaVinci is present in the chip. Sadly :p

EDIT: but OMAP 3530 should have video and audio acceleration as well...

DaVinci is another line of SoCs that have an ARM and a C64x DSP, much like the OMAP3530 (but a much worse ARM). I imagine that porting between the two won't be too problematic.

From wikipedia:QUOTE
IVA2+ audio and video processor (based on the TMS320C64x+ DSP Core at 430MHz) using Texas Instruments's DaVinci technology

Does this need changing or is it just interpretation?

The IVA2+ *is* their new name for the DSP. Confusing really as the OMAP2 had a dedicated ARM9 (I think) chip + memory + coprocessors which they called the IVA2.

Iirc it appears they may have moved some of the coprocessor functionality to the DSP on the OMAP3.

lardman said:
The IVA2+ *is* their new name for the DSP. Confusing really as the OMAP2 had a dedicated ARM9 (I think) chip + memory + coprocessors which they called the IVA2.

Iirc it appears they may have moved some of the coprocessor functionality to the DSP on the OMAP3.
My understanding is that IVA2+ is DSP + ARM + some hardware IP for video. Yes, that'd mean the OMAP3 has another ARM in it, but all of that is undocumented :)

IVA stands for Imaging, Video and Audio (accelerator).

Some ref : http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/omap3530.html
High Performance Image, Video, Audio (IVA2.2™) Accelerator Subsystem
* 430-MHz TMS320C64x+™ DSP Core
* Enhanced Direct Memory Access (EDMA) Controller (128 Independent Channels)
* Video Hardware Accelerators

As far as an additional ARM core in IVA2 block is concerned I read it somewhere but can't find the reference anymore...

I was pretty sure they removed the extra ARM core on the OMAP3 and just access the coprocessor functions that it previously had (or similar ones) directly from the DSP.

Back