What Is Possible On 256mb Ram?

God Ginrai said:
Btw, Nice Avatar. What's it from?

-God Ginrai

Well, sloppy code is bad, just for the record I totally agree on that point. On the other hand I'd rather have a working resource hog than a program I'll never finish because I killed it with early optimization. :p

The avatar was a gift from someone by the name of Chiko for a round of secret santa on the Pixelation forums aaaaages ago, so it's not really from anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does enable the Pandora to do a few other things.

Most of the original planning for the Pandora was based on 128MB memory. So, there was little to no multi application capability. Memory restrictions prevented for instant running PSX emulation with other ( idle ) applications. To put things in perspective, with 128MB you had maybe 90MB free. Now, you got 210MB free under the same situation. Run a desktop environment ( lets say 40MB ). That brings you down to 50MB free in the 128MB version, and 160MB free on the 256MB version. Those numbers show the potential. Of course, that does not mean a optimized OS version stripped to the essentials, is never a bad thing. Every MB saved, is a MB you can use for something else... :)

Hell, i even order a pair of fast 16GB SD ( 15MB/s R/W ) cards in order to deal with the limited memory when a xubuntu is loaded. Aka, fast SD cards = programs/memory offloading to the swap file. Even more strange is, at 13.00h i read the news of the 256MB upgrade, at 15:00 i got my order of SD cards delivered :) Talk about a strange day ;)

I do find it kind of funny. A while ago i said how it might be possible that a 256MB is possible by the time the Pandora's are going to be build because of the date then, and the possible delivery date. Its always nice to see a company delivering more then planned.

Now, the 256MB version is going to make the "beloved" Doom3 very possible. Its a pity that so few games have there source code released. Now, a Pandora with Doom3 on it, is going to tweak the interests of developers outside of this community.

mcobit said:
Just that everyone who ordered in his store is not affected by this bank-mess.
So this means that credit card orders placed directly through GBAX will not be affected by the "credit crunch" so to speak?

Gautama said:
sindbad said:
Patrick R Ludvigsen said:
COMPIZ FUSION, YUM YUM
Not really, ram was never the issue for this.So what was the issue?There are several, in fact.

First of all, the Xserver does not have the proper extensions. It would need AIGLX in order to avoid an XGL-like solution (which would be more likely, but undesirable).
Secondly, compiz expects proper OpenGL, it would need to be ported to ES.
It may even be impossible, due to the closed source driver. Kwin4 has more of a chance to work on the pandora, but it would be a bit slow with Xrender.

Effects would probably be more easily achieved with a custom solution.

sverm said:
mcobit said:
So this means that credit card orders placed directly through GBAX will not be affected by the "credit crunch" so to speak?

Which, I'm assuming, all thats left is bank transfers, which dont use credit cards, and the paypal re-orders. so... paypal users will have to pay AGAIN?

PoisonedV said:
sverm said:
mcobit said:

Which, I'm assuming, all thats left is bank transfers, which dont use credit cards, and the paypal re-orders. so... paypal users will have to pay AGAIN?

Yeah, sounds like it, and if I'm thinking what you are, (that being that this is total fucking BS) then amen, brother. :lol: Really, when your money is tied up in PayPal money and now your parent's credit cards, re-paying and re-ordering so many times is difficult, especially given the wariness of my folks in the face of our current economic situation. Craig, if at all possible, minimize this re-pay as much as you can, as this is just ridiculous.

sindbad said:
Gautama said:
So what was the issue?
There are several, in fact.

First of all, the Xserver does not have the proper extensions. It would need AIGLX in order to avoid an XGL-like solution (which would be more likely, but undesirable).
It may even be impossible, due to the closed source driver. Kwin4 has more of a chance to work on the pandora, but it would be a bit slow with Xrender.
The drivers won't provide the function needed by AIGLX: it's an extention to openGL... XGL is a no go as it would have to be rewriten from opengl|es anyway. And AIGLX and XGL depend on a full-blown Xserver, but we will "only" have kdrive (was, mini-xserver).
But the driver do provide EGL. So an xegl server is belivable (if some mad Xorg coder step in this project dead for 3 years :( )

Oh, and by the way, QT 4.5 will provide an accelerated version of qt on kdrive/opengl|es based on EGL. So we can hope a fast kde4 with (but dont dream about this) effects based on Xrender extention.

Gautama said:
I need my desktop cube :)

if you _need_ it then pandora is not for you, and not a single handheld is or will in a near futur.

PoisonedV said:
sverm said:

Hmm, I'm not certain about PayPal, but on preorder day, there was a multitude of shops that could take credit card orders, IIRC, and for North America, GBAX was the site to use.

From the e-mail:
pre-order newsletter e-mail said:
Or if you want to go direct to your local area:

Germany: http://www.gp2x.de/shop/index.php/cPath/34
The rest of Europe: http://openpandora.org/retro.html
Turkey & The Middle East: http://www.pandoratr.com/
North and Sound America, Australia, Japan, Korea and elsewhere : http://gbax.com/pandorax.html
So my guess is that credit card orders put through gp2x.de, openpandora.org and pandoratr.com, but not gbax.com could potentially be affected. This is, of course, assuming that mcobit correctly reported the info from the IRC channel.

mac os 8/9 :D

or how about Mac OS X v10.4 ???

go on tell me it can be done :D

sebt3 said:
sindbad said:
Gautama said:
So what was the issue?
There are several, in fact.

The drivers won't provide the function needed by AIGLX: it's an extention to openGL... XGL is a no go as it would have to be rewriten from opengl|es anyway. And AIGLX and XGL depend on a full-blown Xserver, but we will "only" have kdrive (was, mini-xserver).
But the driver do provide EGL. So an xegl server is belivable (if some mad Xorg coder step in this project dead for 3 years :( )

Oh, and by the way, QT 4.5 will provide an accelerated version of qt on kdrive/opengl|es based on EGL. So we can hope a fast kde4 with (but dont dream about this) effects based on Xrender extention.

Gautama said:
I need my desktop cube :)

if you _need_ it then pandora is not for you, and not a single handheld is or will in a near futur.
Wouldn't it even be possible to use full X (on xubuntu for example, is xubuntu in the videos relly using kdrive)? According to the wikipedia article kdrive doesn't exist by it self anymore, it's integrated in main X, is this correct?

Back