What Happened To Brawl Beat Em Up's?

Optimus

Website
optimus.untergrund.net
I wondered about this again after watching some youtube videos on the history of beat em up's.

While a lot of beat em up's are produced today, mainly for consoles they are all street fighter style games. After a period of time only street fighter clones were produced but not a single brawl fighting game (double dragon style). Or at least one that made a hit and I am aware of.

What happened to brawl fighting games? Why was there a big silence after the big boom (streets of rage, cadillac's and dinosaurs, the punisher, etc), why aren't these games being produced?

It seems strange to me because these games can still be fun today. If you speak about the reasons other types of games have died or became less popular it makes sense, for example adventure games are not popular anymore because of the technology and they are not as impressive and fun for the average fps/strategy/mmorpg hungry gamer. But what did browl beat em up have that made them less popular? The fun is there, imho much better than street fighter clones, going to the city and beating the crap out of punks and bad guys and stuff, and even for people who want to play with several other players it would be great fun, beating stuff together, the funniest kind of game really. Imagine with modern technology, having an mmobeat em up of this kind, 50 sprites on the screen beating the hell inside a bar, ultimate fun. There isn't a single point in the brawl type of fighting games that justifies this genre dying. What happened?

The latest released beat em up I have played is Streets of Rage Remake, regardless the oldschool 2d graphics it's so much great fun! Now, how about commercial productions? I'd love to play a 4 players browl beat em up in my Wii.

Iorgy77 said:
Isnt god of war a beat em up?
Yeah, I suppose the genre has evolved into that type of game actually.

It's basically the same as streets of rage etc. but in a 3D world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goity said:
Iorgy77 said:

True, even though I never thought of god of war as this kind of beat em up.
Possibly because it doesn't feel like having the same gameplay mechanics.
I realized, that maybe beat em up's where revived as these kind of 3d action fight games.
I was just reading about this in this wikipedia article. It makes sense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_'em_up

From the list, very few give me the feeling of traditional beat em ups. Some of them have cute retro graphics, for example this and watching a video of this game, it's the classing brawling I used to grow with.

So, the genre succumbed and somehow was transformed in those 3d hack an slash as the wiki article says. But somehow it doesn't cut it. I am still having more fun playing SORR.

Optimus said:
Goity said:
Iorgy77 said:

True, even though I never thought of god of war as this kind of beat em up.
Possibly because it doesn't feel like having the same gameplay mechanics.
I realized, that maybe beat em up's where revived as these kind of 3d action fight games.
I was just reading about this in this wikipedia article. It makes sense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_'em_up

From the list, very few give me the feeling of traditional beat em ups. Some of them have cute retro graphics, for example this and watching a video of this game, it's the classing brawling I used to grow with.

So, the genre succumbed and somehow was transformed in those 3d hack an slash as the wiki article says. But somehow it doesn't cut it. I am still having more fun playing SORR.

You should play Goits of Rage, then. It's very three thousand and late, as the Black Eyed Peas would say, I assure you. ;)

Fighting Force....? i enjoyed the first one on pc, 2nd fighting force didnt do it for me on dreamcast

Back