Shadow Gangs - 80's inspired 2d beat em up. Kickstarter.

Actually I can't see anything in the gameplay about the beat em ups you mentioned, maybe there will be only some references here and there (like the Axel guy that should be a boss)

Seems to me more like a "Shinobi"+"Bad Dudes VS Dragonninja"

Actually I can't see anything in the gameplay about the beat em ups you mentioned, maybe there will be only some references here and there (like the Axel guy that should be a boss)

Seems to me more like a "Shinobi"+"Bad Dudes VS Dragonninja"

Yes,indeed it's a bit more like dragon ninja as opposed to streets of rage. 

The backgrounds are being completely redone in Shadow Gangs, some enemies are being redone and they are looking at adding extra animation too.
The central protagonist "Dan" will also turn into a ninja at certain points. It's being re-worked, adjusted and polished- the mooted kickstarter has been put on hold till the game has been improved- a wise decision.
The programmer is very open to feedback and any helpful suggestions. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=79867&page=4

http://www.shadowgangs.com/forum.html#/

So the kickstarter is live for shadow Gangs. I backed it as I think I'll enjoy this game when its completed. A Dreamcast port is in the stretch goals- however it takes precedence over the other console versions. If Shadow Gangs meets its preliminary funding level the developer says they may still do a Dreamcast version anyways.
If they get a little extra its a furhter incentive to do a Dc port.

Iv'e backed a digital copy for pc and will choose a Dreamcast version by changing my pledge if it happens.

so it's a Shinobi re-skin...
Iv'e never played the original Shinobi only Shadow Dancer so I can't really tell what if any similarities there may be to Shinobi.
Shadow Gangs is inspired by Shinobi and other beat-em-ups from the era, yes. The demo gives a good indication of the core mechanics, which are solid, minus a lot of intended features imo.

The looks are ok, but it seems like the gameplay and animation is stuck in the 80s as well.

One might just as well play the classics instead.

The looks are ok, but it seems like the gameplay and animation is stuck in the 80s as well.

One might just as well play the classics instead.
I believe the animation will be improved with more frames etc- I guess it is very much a retro game yes.

Seems a little too much to ask for, also they value Samurai better than Ninja, I can't stand this !! :-||

...but it has girlz on walls, so it must be awesome !! :D

The gameplay seems more fast paced than Shinobi

Last edited:
Shinobi is a very unique experience on my books.
It is as hard as it can be with the no-energy deal while still being a game possible to beat.
It is a breakthrough on music in video games/arcade.
There is very little respect to how I see the original masterpiece, but that is just me.

Iv'e never played the original Shinobi only Shadow Dancer so I can't really tell what if any similarities there may be to Shinobi.
Shadow Gangs is inspired by Shinobi and other beat-em-ups from the era, yes. The demo gives a good indication of the core mechanics, which are solid, minus a lot of intended features imo.

Shinobi longplay video -

a liiiiittle bit more than just 'inspired'... same gameplay, same kind of attacks, same kinds of levels (with the crates and the ability to jump 'behind, same kinds of enemies, with some of the (exact) same animations, etc.

Back