Talk About GTA

Kumaki

This is where ALL the GTA talk from the previous thread may be found.  Feel free to continue the discussion here.

No matter how many points you PRO-GTA people bring up, you are not going to change my mind, but feel free to try.

Meanwhile, we have no business derailing someone else's thread to have this discussion!

Enjoy!

I have to say I really HATE GTA.  Any game that glamorizes being a thug and a generally rotten person is not a good thing.  At least in other shoot-em-up's etc, you are the GOOD guy trying to beat up BAD guys.  In GTA, YOU are the bad guy.  I don't like bad guys to win.

I play games to ESCAPE reality...not to have it come crashing down on me.  And in reality...too often, the bad guys DO win.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if in your life you are the GOOD guy, to escape that reality with a game you HAVE to become BAD in it !!  :lol:

I have to say I really HATE GTA.  Any game that glamorizes being a thug and a generally rotten person is not a good thing.  At least in other shoot-em-up's etc, you are the GOOD guy trying to beat up BAD guys.  In GTA, YOU are the bad guy.  I don't like bad guys to win.

I play games to ESCAPE reality...not to have it come crashing down on me.  And in reality...too often, the bad guys DO win.
You do not seem to know Postal. xD

gta is nice really a great game it is life these things do go on on a lot worse i don't think young kids should be playing it but really it's nothing you can't see on cnn or else wear a click away or even a short walk/drive. i myself just liked to get all my house's full of tricked out cars and roll up a nice fat one and have a nice drive around town listening to my mp3's much safer them really going out for a jride so like above lets you do some things you shouldn't do in real life. i would love to beable to play gta3 not sure what you all mean by gta1 and 2

gta is nice really a great game it is life these things do go on on a lot worse i don't think young kids should be playing it but really it's nothing you can't see on cnn or else wear a click away or even a short walk/drive. i myself just liked to get all my house's full of tricked out cars and roll up a nice fat one and have a nice drive around town listening to my mp3's much safer them really going out for a jride so like above lets you do some things you shouldn't do in real life. i would love to beable to play gta3 not sure what you all mean by gta1 and 2
The problem is just that it GLAMORIZES AND ENCOURAGES rotten behavior.

Now, for ADULTS playing the game, live and let live, I guess, but I would not enjoy it.

But I really don't see how you keep games like this away from children or other mentally disturbed people that should not have it.

Anyway, the topic isn't really about GTA, but I did want to clarify my point.  It is that some teens...and mentally unstable folks...cannot separate reality from fiction...and this sort of thing can be very dangerous, as it encourages and glamorizes thuggery.

Well if you don't want to play the bad guy and that's your only problem. Then an OpenGTA project would be perfect for you!

The fun thing about GTA is not playing the bad guy, it's the freedom. It's a sandbox mostly.

If there's an open engine where you can easily make mods you can make a sandbox that is more appealing, having completely different quests and everything.

Anyway, the topic isn't really about GTA, but I did want to clarify my point.  It is that some teens...and mentally unstable folks...cannot separate reality from fiction...and this sort of thing can be very dangerous, as it encourages and glamorizes thuggery.
Mainly people that use antidepressants have problems to separate reality from fiction, which you notice, if you see, that most of the school shootings were under the influence of antidepressants.

Normally no one has these problems to separate reality from fiction at some point. And yeah, I'm not a fan of drugs in any form, including "Psychiatric medication" which is just a nicer word

for drugs/substances that change your perception so you do not have to do this on your own by natural means.

I rather play the good guys anyway and in games like "Star Wars: Knights of the old republic", "Fallout 1-3" etc... (where you have the choice) even as I want to play bad this time, I usually end up being nice.

Those arguing about violent games might like to note that real-life gun handling is quite difficult and nothing like what you get in games.

they might teach you to be merciless thugs (or whatever), but they do not teach you how to shoot.

Mainly people that use antidepressants have problems to separate reality from fiction, which you notice, if you see, that most of the school shootings were under the influence of antidepressants.

Normally no one has these problems to separate reality from fiction at some point. And yeah, I'm not a fan of drugs in any form, including "Psychiatric medication" which is just a nicer word

for drugs/substances that change your perception so you do not have to do this on your own by natural means.

I rather play the good guys anyway and in games like "Star Wars: Knights of the old republic", "Fallout 1-3" etc... (where you have the choice) even as I want to play bad this time, I usually end up being nice.
Well, I do not like the characterization this society places on the mentally ill...whic is a hidden undertone in what you write.

There are many people on anti-depressants who do NOT gety impacted negatively by them.  I, myself, was once on anti-depressants.  My life was totally ruined by Hurricane Katrina...and it sent me into a two year long tailspin where I was a complete basket case.  during that period, I was on anti-depressants....because I recognized I needed something to stop me from digging myself further in and completely self-destructing.

I needed something to put a floor beneath me while I rebuilt myself.  I did that, and I am no longer on anti-depressants, and I'm now the owner of my own successful small business.

My point is that anti-depressants DO have their place, and their uses.  And that JUST BECAUSE someone needs anti-depressants...it does not follow that they are whacko to the point of being dangerous to others.  In FACT...most of the mass shootings happen from people who SHOULD have gotten help and didn't.

But now we are radically off topic.  I could not let that go without addressing the culture that causes many to not get help when they need it.

You misunderstood, I did not say, that people who are mentally down, have a problem to distinguish between reality and fiction, but that antidepressants often have this as a side effect

and these shooters DID take them, so they have had this "help" *sic* which you suggested.

Of course I do not assume, that you hear this in the US media, because especcially there A LOT of money is being made with legal drugs psychiatric medication,

where a good drug free therapy and a closer look at the environment of the suspect would be way more helpful instead.

Sadly, now we have the same shit here in Germany.

Kumaki, I had bought GTA Vice City when I was twelve - I didn't become a maniac :) Oh, and the problem of my country is that it seems so there are more criminals working in police, courts and state organisations than those you see in GTA. Ever heard of kickbacks (I don't mean the usual bribes)? For instance some company registered in any off shore country like Virgin Islands buys oil equipment worth $100 millions, then Russian company buys it for $150 millions. 50 millions are shared between businessmen/women and corrupt officials. PROFIT! In fact as a small business owner you'll most likely be paying money to police officers/prefects/mayors/some other officials but definitely not to the street gangs.

You misunderstood, I did not say, that people who are mentally down, have a problem to distinguish between reality and fiction, but that antidepressants often have this as a side effect

and these shooters DID take them, so they have had this "help" *sic* which you suggested.

Of course I do not assume, that you hear this in the US media, because especcially there A LOT of money is being made with legal drugs psychiatric medication,

where a good drug free therapy and a closer look at the environment of the suspect would be way more helpful instead.

Sadly, now we have the same shit here in Germany.
My apologies for any misunderstanding.  But I am very s ensitive to the issue of the stigma that surrounds mental illness in this country (the United States)  I was completely ruined and destroyed by Hurricane Katrina...I lost EVERYTHING.  Worse, I ended up having to go back home to Mommy at the age of 34, a complete and total failure at life...which, as you can imagine, did wonders for my self-esteem.  I lost everything I owned in the world, except the clothes on my back, my car, and my dog.  I lost my independence and my sense of self-worth.  It sent me into a nosedive of epic proportions.  I needed the antidepressants at that time in order to quit digging myself in further...while I began to work on rebuilding myself.  Eight years later, here I am.  And I wouldn't be if I hadn't gotten the help I needed then. But there are americans that would scorn and sneer at me for having been "weak" - the attitude here is...if bone isn't showing, rub a little dirt on it and keep playing.  It is that very attitude that prevents many people who should get help...from getting it.  and it leads to incidents like Aurora, Colorado, Columbine, Newtown, Connecticut, The Luby's Massacre, Virginia Tech, and so on.  The problem is...a game like GTA...THERE IS NO REAL WAY OF PREVENTING IT FROM FALLING INTO THE WRONG HANDS.

Kumaki, I had bought GTA Vice City when I was twelve - I didn't become a maniac :) Oh, and the problem of my country is that it seems so there are more criminals working in police, courts and state organisations than those you see in GTA. Ever heard of kickbacks (I don't mean the usual bribes)? For instance some company registered in any off shore country like Virgin Islands buys oil equipment worth $100 millions, then Russian company buys it for $150 millions. 50 millions are shared between businessmen/women and corrupt officials. PROFIT! In fact as a small business owner you'll most likely be paying money to police officers/prefects/mayors/some other officials but definitely not to the street gangs.
I did not say every person who plays GTA becomes a maniac.  But, for God's sake, do we REALLY need that kind of crap in a society already full of violence and hatred, and a bunch of doped-up freaks on the edge of blowing people away?  Do we need to GLAMORIZE thuggery?

I'm sorry, but my opinion of GTA is unchanged, the goddamned game should be banned and outlawed everywhere.  and the manufacturers of the game should be held personally respoonsible for any real-life violence inspired by it.

Just as Stone should have been held liable for the murder spree in Louisiana and Mississippi by an Oklahoma couple who was inspired by "Natural Born Killers" 

http://tech.mit.edu/V119/N11/Oliver_Stone.11w.html

http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=3962

I am sorry, there is no place in my world for garbage like that.  I abosolutely ABHOR thuggery, lawlessness, and bad guys who get away with their dastardly deeds.  I have very strong feelings about it.

I suggest any further discussion about this continue in an alternate thread or via PM's we have derailed this original topic enough!

There were maniacs before video games, there are proportionally the same amount of maniacs now that there are games like GTA.

Its personal accountability, video games aren't the fault people lose their mind. As strongly as you feel they are the cause I feel they are not.

It also boils down to poor parenting to be bluntly honest, I don't let my kids play games like that, but banning them so other fail parents that don't concern themselves with the hobbies of their kids, so they won't have to bother themselves with the interests of their kids. Play the games with your kids, or if you don't want to spend that time with your kids, at least research the game beforehand or rent it and play it yourself before letting them play. We filter and test drive movies and games before giving them to our kids. And I also keep an active part in my kids free time. My parents did that for me growing up and I didn't turn out to be a freak, or hate them, and when it was age appropriate me and my dad played GTA together, and I enjoyed it, it was fun. I never shot anyone or went on a raping or stealing spree afterwards either.

I grow very tired of people pointing the blame of current events on external sources. Sometimes, shit just happens. And even when you can point the blame on a specific external source, it doesn't always need fixed. The risk that is being avoided needs to outweigh the impact on society, and banning violence in video games is not even close to being worth it.

Similar situation, bullying is turning into a crime in america... Bullying.... Really???? Yea... Listen, just tell your kids to learn to deal with it. Jerks are a part of life. Its social pecking order in a small scale, prepairing you for real life. That's part of growing up. Eliminating bullies is like saying, here we are going to remove assholes from society. Unfortuneatly being a jerk isn't against the law, and someone is going to make fun of you as an adult, its unavoidable, you won't have any experience dealing with assholes and you'll end up punch them in the face, which is against the law, and then boom, you're the one in jail. Just saying. Teenagers offing themselves because they're picked on, I had a friend off himself growing up just because he was cheated on by his girlfriend... Shit happens, the guy was weak, so are those people, Darwinism at its finest.

There were maniacs before video games, there are proportionally the same amount of maniacs now that there are games like GTA. Its personal accountability, video games aren't the fault people lose their mind. As strongly as you feel they are the cause I feel they are not. It also boils down to poor parenting to be bluntly honest, I don't let my kids play games like that, but banning them so other fail parents that don't concern themselves with the hobbies of their kids, so they won't have to bother themselves with the interests of their kids. Play the games with your kids, or if you don't want to spend that time with your kids, at least research the game beforehand or rent it and play it yourself before letting them play. We filter and test drive movies and games before giving them to our kids. And I also keep an active part in my kids free time. My parents did that for me growing up and I didn't turn out to be a freak, or hate them, and when it was age appropriate me and my dad played GTA together, and I enjoyed it, it was fun. I never shot anyone or went on a raping or stealing spree afterwards either. I grow very tired of people pointing the blame of current events on external sources. Sometimes, shit just happens. And even when you can point the blame on a specific external source, it doesn't always need fixed. The risk that is being avoided needs to outweigh the impact on society, and banning violence in video games is not even close to being worth it. Similar situation, bullying is turning into a crime in america... Bullying.... Really???? Yea... Listen, just tell your kids to learn to deal with it. Jerks are a part of life. Its social pecking order in a small scale, prepairing you for real life. That's part of growing up. Eliminating bullies is like saying, here we are going to remove assholes from society. Unfortuneatly being a jerk isn't against the law, and someone is going to make fun of you as an adult, its unavoidable, you won't have any experience dealing with assholes and you'll end up punch them in the face, which is against the law, and then boom, you're the one in jail. Just saying. Teenagers offing themselves because they're picked on, I had a friend off himself growing up just because he was cheated on by his girlfriend... Shit happens, the guy was weak, so are those people, Darwinism at its finest.
Forgive me but you sound incredibly heartless.

I suspect YOU were never bullied when you were a kid.  I was.  And it's hell.

The goddam bully always gets away with it...and then, when you finally can no longer take it and you react then YOU are the one who gets in trouble.,  The goddamn teacher NEVER sees the bully.

Forgive me for wanting to idiot-proof and asshole-proof the world.  I believe MY right to be basically SAFE...supercedes your right to play violent video games that might inspire unstable people to commit those acts in real life.  But again, that is me.  I do not see why ANYONE needs or even WANTS to play horrible games like that...and I do not see why anyone needs or wants an assault rifle.  A hunting rifle?  Great.  A shotgun for home defense?  You got it!  An AK-47...what the hell are you gonna use that for, except hunting humans?

My point?  There are certain things that are acceptable to me, and some which are not.  If you get rid of all the wepons like assault rifles, so that someone can't re-enact GTA in real life...then maybe you can have GTA.  Otherwise forget it.  That is my attitude.  I am not a big one for censorship, but there comes a point where the general safety and welfare of society has to take precedence over some people's individual rights.

And, again, we are WAY off topic here.

I swear the next post about GTA is gonna get split off into a different thread.  I know you defenders of GTA will never be satisfied to let me have my opinion.

Split it into a different thread then.

I was bullied as a kid, but I worked out and learned to standup for myself. The things that the picked on me about I fixed about myself. Kid calls you fat, do what it takes to stop being fat. Kids make fun of your cloths, get cloths that don't make you look stupid. Or don't do anything and be yourself and learn to argue effectively. Point out their flaws if that's the game they want to play.

Kid is physically bullying you, sucker punch them every time you get the chance, eventually they'll stop and go for a softer target. Yea you get your ass wiped a few times, but eventually they'll go for someone who doesn't fight back. Standing up for yourself is an important life lesson. I see way too many doormats in society and I know they were the ones that didn't do that.

So again your solution to a extremely small percentage of people who aren't right in the head and abuse assault rifles and violent video games is a reason to take them out of society? Effecting a significant percentage that enjoys the freedom to have them. You are using the availability of those things as a crutch to explain the demented actions of a virtually insignificant percentage of the population.

You can replace assault rifles with any instrument of creating physical harm, and replace GTA with any video game or movie that uses that instrument to create that physical harm in a fictional setting, and the outcome would be the same. I don't condone assault rifles, nor do I own a firearm of any kind. I was in the military and I know how to use them effectively, and have on other human beings. But I don't feel the threat in my neighborhood justifies the risk of having one in the house. If I did own a firearm, it would be a shotgun, small children can't cock a shotgun, you can't accidently load a shotgun, its going to kill what you point it at in your house, and the ammunition (bird shot) isn't going to kill the innocent person in the next room.

Saying all that, I still feel the freedom should be there to own the things. Even though I will never own one. Just because I don't agree with it, doesn't mean I can make that decision for others. Personal accountability. Stop blaming peoples actions on accessibility to things that you don't agree with, or would never own yourself.

The difference in your opinion is that it would effect me and people other than yourself. Our opinion of having the right to own would not effect you in any way. A maniac owning them might effect you, but that is entirely the maniac and not what they're using to hurt you.

I have been considered heartless, but I'm rational, and realistic.

Until I was ten years old I always found someone beating me for a reason or another, and I always was crying defenceless... One day, I realized that I was crying for psychological reasons, not because they were hurting me bad... it was the last day I cried...

The last time I faced some who was bullying me in public I told him "Come on !! I'm here, do your best !!" and I laughed at him for the entire time asking "Is that the best you can do ? Come on !!" ... yeah, maybe I was a little crazy, but no one ever faced me AGAIN !! LOL :D

I always played with small soldiers, GI-Joe, and Masters of the Universe, until video games arrived... in a way I was always violent in my play sessions, there were always wars and fights, but that was absolutely not reflected in the real life.

i cant wait for the Mormon religion to finally grow up and have its first war. religious fanatics have committed a lot more mass murdering and genocides then some "thugs" ever could or will

You could also argue that a murder/robbery is an example of "darwinism at its best". But that would be simplistic and mistaken. Life in human society is structured by rules which reward pro-social behavior. Not only genes are passed-on but also memes, through good upbringing and education. The sure path to procreating and having your offspring successfully procreate is to be an upstanding citizen and instill those values in your offspring.

Being a gangster type and knocking-up a 'ho is another way to procreate, but there is significant risk of getting locked up before you can procreate, and your offspring end up growing in a high risk social environment as well.

Life in human society is structured by rules which reward pro-social behavior.
Is it? I never noticed that, maybe because we all live in a competitive society.

Ok, maybe not the scandinavians here, who knows?

Guns do not kill people, humans do.

Anyway: I am happy, that fireweapons are very uncommon and mostly forbidden (not bows, btw) in the country where I am living.

Back