Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DaveC's Cap

• DaveC's Dpad

• I made my own.

• Total voters

On my MK1 I have Dave's D-Pad Mod. I just couldn't be without it-so much improved!

How can you still enjoy your GP2Xs without it?

When I first lost my original MK1 cap I bought a replacement from Craig. Then I lost that one a few days later.

ED will be getting them next week as just I sent some to him.

Great news! I'm on the Mk2 waiting list, so hopefully I'll be able to get mine done with this batch.
Can't wait! Everytime I use my GP2X, I'm thinking of how much better it will be with the mod!

ste_167 posted on Mar 20 2007 at 12:02 PM said:
Everytime I use my GP2X, I'm thinking of how much better it will be with the mod!

I've got one (done by ED) and it is a marked improvement over the original, but just don't expect miracles. Some games (particulary non-console games C64/Spectrum/Atari ST, etc) were simply not designed for a D-pad or that damned stupid stick, and are still very tricky to control! Racers and platformers where you have to use 'up' to jump, are the main culprits...

That said, if you play mostly console stuff designed for a D-pad, you WILL be in heaven!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonka posted on Mar 20 2007 at 12:30 PM said:
I've got one (done by ED) and it is a marked improvement over the original, but just don't expect miracles. Some games (particulary non-console games C64/Spectrum/Atari ST, etc) were simply not designed for a D-pad or that damned stupid stick, and are still very tricky to control! Racers and platformers where you have to use 'up' to jump, are the main culprits...

Some of those emus allow you to remap the keys to make a button move up. Frodo allows this for the c64, and I'm pretty sure OutcaST and the speccy one have keymapping too?

The MASTER posted on Mar 20 2007 at 09:41 PM said:
Craig's cap rocks. Why are so many people still using the mk1 cap!?

Actually I found Craigs cap to be too tall, when I had a stick a while back. A taller stick increases the already large dead zone. I found the MK2 cap to have the best control.

GunPei2X posted on Mar 20 2007 at 12:09 PM said:
Mk2 cap modded with hot glue on the four cardinal directions. Perfect :)

Can you make some photos, please. That decision of mod sounds good to me, i bet it`s much better to use now? :rolleyes:

DaveC posted on Mar 21 2007 at 02:13 AM said:
Actually I found Craigs cap to be too tall, when I had a stick a while back. A taller stick increases the already large dead zone. I found the MK2 cap to have the best control.

I WILL DEFEND CRAIG'S CAP TO THE DEATH

DaveC posted on Mar 20 2007 at 11:13 PM said:

:rolleyes:

GunPei2X posted on Mar 20 2007 at 08:12 PM said:
Tonka posted on Mar 20 2007 at 12:30 PM said:

Some of those emus allow you to remap the keys to make a button move up. Frodo allows this for the c64, and I'm pretty sure OutcaST and the speccy one have keymapping too?
Cheers - I knew about Frodo, but it doesn't open my .zip files for some reason (and the compatibility is generally poor with multi loaders, so I use VICE).

Didn't know about Outcast and the Speccy emulator though - I will have to investigate (and start using the readme files)! Thanks for the tip! :)

The MASTER posted on Mar 20 2007 at 11:41 PM said:
Craig's cap rocks. Why are so many people still using the mk1 cap!?
I got used to it and I'm too lazy to get better one :p

WarmFluffyUK posted on Mar 21 2007 at 04:23 PM said:
Are there any pictures of the d-pad mods? I'm possibly interested in doing this to my own GP2X.
dpadmod.jpg

DaveC posted on Mar 21 2007 at 05:55 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Mar 21 2007 at 04:23 PM said:
Are there any pictures of the d-pad mods? I'm possibly interested in doing this to my own GP2X.
dpadmod.jpg

... my god.... That is sex.

DaveC, would you mind posting a link to the page offering the service?

*Edit. Nevermind :)

DaveC posted on Mar 21 2007 at 05:55 PM said:
Ahhh, that looks like an NGage pad, quite nice too! :)

Questions:

1. Do you supply this as a kit and how much?

2. Does this mod support the centre button of the original stick?

Back