What Would You Recommend?

edit: are those snow cones floating around with Ecco in your avatar?
Yep. On SomethingAwful the image is captioned, 'Welcome to the Sno-Cone machine'. It's an inside joke derived from the prototype version of Ecco the Dolphin 2. One dolphin says, 'Come with me Ecco, I know where is the cave'. I modified this text to read, 'I know where is the sno-cone machine'. The stage you see in my avatar is from Ecco 1's level, "Welcome to the Machine". That's the bizarre inside joke in its entirety. :)

.. WHAT. THE. FUCK.
I'm here all week, folks.

Shaun said:
he Payback demo was okay; a good technical feat but a bit of a cheap clone with an awful soundtrack to be honest. I don't want to slag the creators off - it looks okay. It's just that I could get better commerical games for the NDS.
You summed up my thoughts on Payback quite nicely. Bravo. :)

Shaun said:
You can all feel free to continue your pointless FFVII debate! smile.gif You say it'll never happen, but we've seen some real magic happen here. There's in point in speculation... we may as well wait and see. That said, do you think the XGP would emulate it? That's out soon, right? (No, I haven't kept up with the news on that device.)
There's no magic about it; nothing magical has happened. The laws of physics and rules of hardware/software engineering and interaction still apply. The GP2X has not done anything unrealistic, but PSX emulation will never be a realistic goal on this system.

Since it is mostly likely XGP systems will feature an ARM-designed Vector FPU capable of hundreds of millions of floating point operations per second, a GPU that is much more powerful than is needed to render a PSX scene, and a CPU that is more powerful than the GP2X's, full-speed PSX emulation is a realistic goal with a real OpenGL renderer and the same snappy code PSX4ALL has exhibited already on the GP2X/Gizmondo/etc. It's not the fault of the software, in this case, it is purely a hardware issue. As for when we'll see real XGP hardware in our hands, I wouldn't call it 'soon' but GP doesn't expect it'll be THAT long. Patience is needed of course. But, so it goes as well in waiting for a better PSX emulator from U-nai and pals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epicenter said:
Shaun said:
The Payback demo was okay; a good technical feat but a bit of a cheap clone with an awful soundtrack to be honest. I don't want to slag the creators off - it looks okay. It's just that I could get better commerical games for the NDS.

1. The Payback soundtrack is brilliant. IMHO it's one of the best handheld soundtracks I know.
2. You compare the GP2x with the NDS? Very interesting. Somebody forget to tell you the GP2x had a quite different concept than the NDS. So go buy a NDS or sell your GP2x and please stop complaining...

Epicenter said:
Shaun said:
The Payback demo was okay; a good technical feat but a bit of a cheap clone with an awful soundtrack to be honest. I don't want to slag the creators off - it looks okay. It's just that I could get better commerical games for the NDS.

1. The Payback soundtrack is brilliant. IMHO it's one of the best handheld soundtracks I know.
2. You compare the GP2x with the NDS? Very interesting. Somebody forget to tell you the GP2x had a quite different concept than the NDS. So go buy a NDS or sell your GP2x and please stop complaining...

Also you can put your own soundtrack in the commercial version or turn it off completely.

Yes Epicenter, please stop complaining. Unlike you, I do not have all the free time in the world to be spent on this forum. I try to keep up to date on the GP2X and all of it's progress and having to sift through all of your rants about how this console sucks is quite time consuming. We all know that you dislike positive comments about the GP2X, or any progress made with the GP2X... you don't have to restate it 5-10 times daily.

Back