Payback- Full Game

abertalia

Website
Visit site
Payback, a game very simialar to the old GTA games, mixes gunfights to car racing to roaming around the citys looking for trouble. Your character will be placed in a top down, 3 dimensional world with stealable cars, killable pedestrians and the huge police force in which you will try to take on every once in a while. All these features located around the diferent cities which include diferent missions available. The cars go fast, the guns make you feel powerful and the graphics are just extrordinary using lighting effects never seen on a handheld before. The sound effects are very good for the game uses 3D sound. Though the music tracks used might not appeal to everyone, they have stuck a tool in there to let you put in your own music by converting it to what the game uses. Unfortunately, the converter they gave me didnt work and I didn't know if it was a problem with the converter itself or I had a bad copy. But overall the music qaulity was pretty good. The gameplay is very smooth and the game works well. Because of it's freeroaming and "rampage" mode, even when you do beat all the missions, the replay value will be very long. I do recomend getting this game for it is probably the funnest out there right now for the gp2x....Happy New Years by the way.... ;)

Only major Qualm I have so far is the speed when you're in a helicopter... drives me insane :p

Definitely fun though!

yup theres a heli in a few of the levels, quite fun to operate, and good review, the problem your having with the converter is that its a windows only command prompt... i had the same problem. but i gave up on it and just listened to my ipod while playing :D

I bought and played through the original Amiga version when it was released. It is a very good game.

The GP2x (and other later versions) look sooo much nicer than the original, but I don't think I can justify buying it again just for flashier graphics!

I hope craig lives up to his promise making the game downloadable with just a quick payment with paypal ;) but theres the risk of pirating, wich is sad since the gp2x commercial library is so limited ... :(

I encountered a problem. In Story 6, in Corona city, there is no city map displayed in the top-right corner. The map isn't displayed in Story 5 either, although I assumed that was because Story 5 took place in a jail. I can get the map of Corona city displayed in Challenge and Rampage modes though.

It's kind of hard to complete timer missions without a map :-\

Any insights?

- Alex

Yeah I didn't have a Map either for the last mission...I dont see why they didn't put it for Corona city like the rest of the maps do....

Hehe...I got a Games™ magazine and it seems they gave a review for Payback on the GP2X.

pb2hq5.jpg

Sorry for the shitty photo, but my scanner isnt working. Anyways yeah they gave it a 91%

I found it in their 54th issue (Last month's, since magazines in the UK arive in the US late...)

Shifty said:
Hehe...I got a Games™ magazine and it seems they gave a review for Payback on the GP2X.

pb2hq5.jpg

Sorry for the shitty photo, but my scanner isnt working. Anyways yeah they gave it a 91%

I found it in their 54th issue (Last month's, since magazines in the UK arive in the US late...)

Thats a great score and fantastic that it got a mainstream revew!! When I get my gp2x back from the Ed post d-pad I must have another go at getting past the first level :D

PS Shifty - if you are able to take another photo so the text is readable that would be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Games tm is a great british Magazine and the review they gave was very positive about the game and the system!

andyB911 said:
Thats a great score and fantastic that it got a mainstream revew!! When I get my gp2x back from the Ed post d-pad I must have another go at getting past the first level :D

PS Shifty - if you are able to take another photo so the text is readable that would be cool.
Yeah, will try...I don't have the magazine with me at the moment but will get a better picture soon.

BYAH!!! Here it is!:

untitled.jpg

Ok....wow....I dont know how to get it fullsized :( Damnit, photobucket....oh well thats what it looks like in the mag anyways....

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried this on the GBA, and wasn't really impressed with it. The controls were fairly awkward, and the graphics were poor. Played it for about a half hour, and really couldn't get into it.

I take it that the graphics are better for the GP2X, but what of the controls and such?

Vince2501 said:
I tried this on the GBA, and wasn't really impressed with it. The controls were fairly awkward, and the graphics were poor. Played it for about a half hour, and really couldn't get into it.

I take it that the graphics are better for the GP2X, but what of the controls and such?
Well...I'm not real sure how to sompare its controls to the Gba version since I couldn't get it to work with GPSP2x :p... But anyways I thought they were pretty good.

These are them for the 2x:

control - on foot - in vehicle

UP - walk fowards - accelerate
Down- walk bwards - reverse
left - turn left- turn left
right - turn right- turn right
strt - pause
select - repeat last message
a- walk backwards - reverse
b - shoot - use horn or siren or ice cream truck song :p
x - walk fowards
y- get in nearest vehicle - exit current vehicle