We got a plan!

So the final price shoulod be 600€~? If it's so, i think i am out :(
Nobody knows yet, speculation is pretty pointless until we know an accurate timescale for production. The value of the Euro may well change significantly in the next 6 - 12 months, as most components are bought with US$ then this could have a significant impact on final costs. + Lots of other things can change in 6 months - 1 Year.

However, be prepared for the price to be way above what you'd expect for a similar device mass produced by a large manufacturer, as was the case with the Pandora. This does not imply any price gouging from ED it's just the way things work out for producing a sophisticated electronic device with a relatively small production run.

I, too, would rather make a single payment for the device in the pre-order -- that is, the final, full price, assuming it is known at the time.

Perhaps, if the final price is not known, then any excess, if the predicted price is higher than the eventual price, may be used as credit to buy necessary accessories from the DragonBox shop; I am thinking, specifically, about SD cards, a microSD card, perhaps a carry case etc..

So the final price shoulod be 600€~? If it's so, i think i am out :(
I hope also that the price will not be so high... :(
This has been about the expected price for a long time now.

Not fixed. Price will be something between 450 and 600 EUR, release... well, can't tell before the Prototypes have been done!

https://twitter.com/EvilDragon1717/status/613369698550448128
I seemed to have missed this also, ~450EUR or 500USD is pretty much the HIGH end (and was originally posted as the high end ballpark estimate) of what I'm actually willing to pay for something like this. All things considered, and understanding on how that price is generated with how much production, R&D etc costs. I'm a huge supporter of gaming handhelds, and even bigger of indy projects, but I sadly do have my own financial limits. I can't help but to question if I'm a minority in this mindset.

The original pandora with it's preorder price of 360USD (this was the specific post that reeled me in years ago) was a fair, if not slightly high for a commercial product (which it ended up not being), it landed in the realm of the "300 dollar rule" for a gaming thing, even if not sustainable long term due to actual production costs. The move to around 500USD seemed like a necessity and I think people ended up justifying it because of all the arguments that are always brought up (size, scope, competition, supporting indy projects, those that got scammed by craig etc) but a price tag of close to 700USD for what I'm guessing is for the non-3G version seems outside of a lot of people's ability to justify. I know it's out of mine.

I might end up making a donation to the project rather than getting one myself if the price ends up beyond that starting point of the quote, coming to that decision makes me really sad. (considering I also supposedly have a voucher from link for the botched ICP2 project I helped support as well)

Last edited by a moderator:
For me personally, I got in on the Pandora's original pricing, and while I thought $330 was great, once I got the device, I felt it was worth so much more. I've gotten more use out of mine, than 2-3 other similar devices combined. Yes, many units had issues, and the build quality probably should have been much better, but at the end of the day, it was a great device that defied the odds.

I'm very much looking forward to the Pyra, and while the price is a little on the high side, a device like this is PRICELESS in my opinion.

Chris

How much would one pay for a similarly powerful smartphone (I am curious)? How much more valuable is the Pyra since it, in addition, comes with a keyboard, a decent, flexible operating system, 2 SD-card slots, microSD slot, multiple USB sockets, HDMI-out AND gaming controls? And how much would it cost (and how fiddly would it be) to buy that smartphone plus all these additions (minus the decent operating system)? I am sincere with all these questions, though I expect that the answer would be close to the final cost for the Pyra.

Besides, I do not see any alternatives.

How much would one pay for a similarly powerful smartphone (I am curious)?

Well being on an overpriced American verizon plan, I paid $200 for my smartphone, knowing that the monthly fees subsidizes the cost of the phone. So before I had a smartphone my monthly fees were $35 USD, now it's $80. So $45 dollars is the cost of just having that smartphone.  So far owning my phone for 3 years cost me $1820 vs just sticking with my old flip phone.

If you just went out and bought an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S6, it was going for around $1100 when it first was released. Now it seems the price is closer to $700. 

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-G925F-Unlocked-Cellphone/dp/B00VXN88T8

From a quick look in the UK, a Samsung Galaxy S4 (unlocked) can be acquired for about £250, an S5 for about £300 and an S6 for about £350. I believe the S4 is roughly similar in terms of processing power to the Pyra, as both it and the OMAP5 were released in 2013. For comparison, the range for the Pyra of 450-600 euros gives, as of now, £316-£422. Also for comparison, the Blackphone seems to sell for £450-£500, with an SoC that, I guess, is of similar power to the OMAP5 (Tegra 4i -- the Tegra 4 was also released in 2013).

I really would not expect the price to be any lower than £300 (425 euro, $470). I would NEVER buy a laptop that cost less than that, new (well, perhaps not never, but I would be very careful, or would expect it to be crap).

Yes, in Europe at least.  In the US it's less clear, so 3G is probably a safer bet.
I see. 4g might be nice to have but would I actually use it? There is alot of wi-fi networks around these days.

Time will tell but 3g is old and slow.

^ I would probably use it often on the road. (3G/4G)

And I don't need to justify to myself about getting a Pyra.

I'm getting a Pyra! :)

It's as simple as that.

That's what work is for - what you put in is what you get out.

Super awesome being in-dependant, working for yourself.

I Am the boss of me.

And my boss says 'Son, as you are such a devoted employee, I have decided to get you a Pyra... on the house!'

Wow awesome! I love my job! :D

It's as simple as that.

I Am the boss of me.

And my boss says 'Son, as you are such a devoted employee, I have decided to get you a Pyra... on the house!'

Nice for you, but that's not the point :D .

It's as simple as that.

I Am the boss of me.

Nice for you, but that's not the point :D .
Is that so? ;)

Back