Wars

WOW that looks awesome! I want to try that ASAP, but because it's not in the same layout as the other themes I'll need to edit the image_map.js to match it. I'll get back to you when I've got it running :)

WOW that looks awesome! I want to try that ASAP, but because it's not in the same layout as the other themes I'll need to edit the image_map.js to match it. I'll get back to you when I've got it running :)
Uh, you can simply cut the top line and place these new tiles on another spot or just remove them, I just placed it there to show you everything in one tile. To include additional tiles, the sheet has to be re-arranged sooner or later I guess. ^^

Here, old layout without the new tiles:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, here's a screenshot of it used in a map :) (file attachments give me internal server errors?)

wars-gamenode_fusion-theme.png

For some reason I'm coded theming support in and fixed it to use only the sprite sheet everywhere in a blink of an eye :D

looks good to me. :)

OK, the Mountains are not that great, I know. The base of them should blend better with the ground, I try this later.

The trees are not completely from me by the way, I heavily modified a available sprite from Deviantart, My own skills in organic stuff are pretty limited, same for the water. ^^

I hope you can include the new tiles ( bridge and river pieces) in the game some day, could make maps a little bit more decorative.

Thx.

I already spotted some minor shading issues at the shorelines, maybe I remove the drop shadow there completely. Makes the coast line flatter but gives a mores seamless look. But overall it looks like I hope it would look. :)

I hope I find a way to make good looking sprites too, but I wouldn't mind if someone else doing this. Hey Foxblock, the guy that did the Wandor graphics, is he still around? ^^

Including them in wars-django would take a little (not too much) work, and obviously they already work in wars-gamenode. If you make compatible units, I'll most definitely include the theme :)

Fusion_Power, I'm adding the T-sections and bridges to wars-gamenode now. I'll have to draw them for pixel theme and edit the image mapping.

EDIT: I think there should be eight bridge tiles: land-water, water-water, water-land and land-land (over a river), horizontal and vertical.

Cool. With the T-tiles I can tweak my CrissCross Map. :)

Expect an little Update to my tileset soon, I redo the shores right now so they match (hopefuly) better together in every possible combination. :) I also made them a little bit wider so there will be some pixels more space between the land tiles and the water, makes rivers smaller though.

Edit: And here it is! ^^

Most of the time it costs to copy the tiles one-by-one from my Photoshop work files to the sprite sheet, :lol:

The sprite sheet now looks a little something like this. Don't mind the extra space :)

Sorry, I was to late, I have suddenly trouble to upload my file, don't know why, abload doesn't work and here it doesn't work either. Imageshack works.

I look at the new file later. It take ages to insert all the tiles so I hope I can keep the current file for a while.

My bridge and my road tiles use the full size of a tile, so no need for these additional Bridge tiles. I made them this wide because of stuff like bridges, yes I'm lazy sometimes ;)

I spot some new water/land tiles, never missed them yet but should be no problem to include these as well. :)

EDIT: I guess I have a run today. :D here is the updated Sprite Sheet, this time in 8 Bit Colours, should look good enough from the distance.

EDIT2: I noticed a while ago, that these Units can't change their facing direction, pretty weird sometimes. I thought they are getting mirrored depending on the direction they move. Would be cool because then we can set the sprites in the sheet all in one direction becauae the game faces them right. :)

Very nice! The bridge tiles do have a small amount of water visible in the corners, but I guess it's not that big a deal :p

Yeah, those tiles make the water set almost complete. AFAIK there's just one tile missing, but I don't consider it something that is needed. Can you spot the missing one? ;)

You can use pretty much as much color depth as you like, since it's going to be rendered to an RGBA context anyway. Well, maybe it'll also save a few hundred kilokibibytes in size :) .

I've been thinking about mirroring units based on their last movement too. Would be kinda simple to do, at least on the client side. Client side implementation would have the downside of only showing units moved during the time the client's been open facing the side they last moved to. The upside would be no extra information in the database and a lot simpler implementation. I could also make new units face the center of the map, so they'd be more likely to instantly face the correct side.

What OS do you use? I could try to wrap up an easily runnable bundle of wars-gamenode for you to try your tileset on.

Really appreciate what you're doing :)

Oh, hey. I just thought of something. The player colors are used in parts of the UI, so to keep them consistent, there's basically two options:

1. All themes use the same player colors. Colors used in Pixel are chosen for being color blind friendly, so I'd like to keep them.

2. Themes use their own colors, and provide changed colors through an override CSS to the UI.

Thoughts? IMO the first one is simpler and allows people using different themes communicate better.

EDIT: I'm calling your theme "fusion" for obvious reasons. Want to give it another name or is that ok? :)

Very nice! The bridge tiles do have a small amount of water visible in the corners, but I guess it's not that big a deal :p
No, because these Parts should always connect to a water tile, only if you place the horizontal bridge tile straight into land, the blue looks wrong. I was not sure to make the bridge transparent there but it just looked much better with some transparent spots.

Yeah, those tiles make the water set almost complete. AFAIK there's just one tile missing, but I don't consider it something that is needed. Can you spot the missing one? ;)
A Headquarter Building? No clue, but I guess I find out when I need it some day. XD A while ago I also spotted the missing of the new Water/land tiles you have now included, so now we should have most of the tiles we need. ^^

You can use pretty much as much color depth as you like, since it's going to be rendered to an RGBA context anyway. Well, maybe it'll also save a few hundred kilokibibytes in size :) .
Very nice. I love to work with reduced Colour palette but this time, there are just to many shades for 256 Colours. A good Pixel Artist could improve the Tiles I'm sure but I'm not that good and have to render most of the Stuff in Blender, this is actualy far away from accurate Pixel art. ^^"

I've been thinking about mirroring units based on their last movement too. Would be kinda simple to do, at least on the client side. Client side implementation would have the downside of only showing units moved during the time the client's been open facing the side they last moved to. The upside would be no extra information in the database and a lot simpler implementation. I could also make new units face the center of the map, so they'd be more likely to instantly face the correct side.
Sounds good to me. :)

What OS do you use? I could try to wrap up an easily runnable bundle of wars-gamenode for you to try your tileset on.
Windows Vista 64Bit. B)

Really appreciate what you're doing :)
Thanks. Sometimes it gets me, so it's actualy your fault. :D

Oh, hey. I just thought of something. The player colors are used in parts of the UI, so to keep them consistent, there's basically two options:

1. All themes use the same player colors. Colors used in Pixel are chosen for being color blind friendly, so I'd like to keep them.

2. Themes use their own colors, and provide changed colors through an override CSS to the UI.

Thoughts? IMO the first one is simpler and allows people using different themes communicate better.

EDIT: I'm calling your theme "fusion" for obvious reasons. Want to give it another name or is that ok? :)
I feared you would mention this because the Team Colours are a little bit of the problem. I colour all the stuff by blending over some basic colours, this of course leads to new shades of colours which makes it difficult to "extract" the real colour from the Theme. So I guess there has to be a compromise in between visible Colours on Units and Team Colours in the UI. I can give you the pure colours I'm using at the moment, they are actualy random choosen and not fixed, I can change everything later. For example, the units get these colours in much more intense shades than the pale buildings so there are actualy different shades again. This is the downside when using more "real" looking graphics. ^^"

So it actualy would still look different if you give me default colours, so at the moment I keep my colours, needs alot of time adjusting the new ones.

Here they are:

teamcolours0ej1.png

They WILL look different ingame so for theme based GUI stuff you better should use these colours. ;)

Yes, just call the Theme Fusion, nice and simple.

EDIT: Took me one day to get my fisrst Unit done, I hope I can speed up this, so many units. Here, the heavy Tank, rendered already with the right colour, same red value used as in my colour table. ^^ Pic is of course unscaled, I also plan to add dark outlines later.

tankafoi.png

No, because these Parts should always connect to a water tile, only if you place the horizontal bridge tile straight into land, the blue looks wrong. I was not sure to make the bridge transparent there but it just looked much better with some transparent spots.
Check the ends of the bridge.

wars-gamenode_fusion-theme_2.png

A Headquarter Building? No clue, but I guess I find out when I need it some day. XD A while ago I also spotted the missing of the new Water/land tiles you have now included, so now we should have most of the tiles we need. ^^
No, I meant a water tile :) . A single tile pond is what's missing, but I think it's not important :D .

Windows Vista 64Bit. B)
Seems node.js has a windows executable, so I think I can whip you up a bundle :)

I feared you would mention this because the Team Colours are a little bit of the problem. I colour all the stuff by blending over some basic colours, this of course leads to new shades of colours which makes it difficult to "extract" the real colour from the Theme. So I guess there has to be a compromise in between visible Colours on Units and Team Colours in the UI. I can give you the pure colours I'm using at the moment, they are actualy random choosen and not fixed, I can change everything later. For example, the units get these colours in much more intense shades than the pale buildings so there are actualy different shades again. This is the downside when using more "real" looking graphics. ^^"

So it actualy would still look different if you give me default colours, so at the moment I keep my colours, needs alot of time adjusting the new ones.

Here they are:

teamcolours0ej1.png

They WILL look different ingame so for theme based GUI stuff you better should use these colours. ;)
OK, I'll keep that in mind and implement the theme-specific coloring at some point :) . Anyway the units and structures only have to be of the same general hue as the color in the UI. Shades are pretty irrelevant in that respect, since it's just to identify units.

EDIT: I really like the stuff you're making :) . That's one mean looking tank :D

Check the ends of the bridge.
DAMN! :lol:

Ok, I fix that later, at least I don't have to do anything with the vertical Bridges. ^^

No, I meant a water tile :) . A single tile pond is what's missing, but I think it's not important :D .
True. Could maybe come in handy when you ever thinking of including a "smart editor". So when you "draw" a nice little square of land into water, the center of that would be water until you fill this spot too... or something like this.

OK, I'll keep that in mind and implement the theme-specific coloring at some point :) . Anyway the units and structures only have to be of the same general hue as the color in the UI. Shades are pretty irrelevant in that respect, since it's just to identify units.
My Idea was to make the buildings a little bit "softer" in tone, so the units are better visible over there. Outlines on units will also improve this. I guess I make the buildings a little bit stronger in colour compared to the current ones, I have a separate Layer for this in Photoshop.

Units however are already coloured in Blender, more accurate and saves time. ^^

EDIT: I really like the stuff you're making :) . That's one mean looking tank :D
Thanks. The meanest thing is that I wasted 2 Hours to make the tank track along a curve path but no luck. Now I do this all per Hand. :D

I guess it will take ages to build all the units and I'm not sure if I ever manage the Infantry. :unsure:

a pond tile surrounded by four land tiles?

this seems to look like a great game.

I should probably learn javascript sometime...

Created a roadmap. This is more of a guideline and a checklist for me than an authoritative document. I may add, move, swap or remove stuff at any time on any reason. Basically my first goal is to reach wars-django. After that I can start adding all the stuff I've been talking about :D

Back