Human Condition - Development Thread

Butterman

Gief Pandara
Website
Visit site
EDIT: Sorry, for those who don't know. Human Condition (previously TINCS) is a multiplayer FPS aimed at the Pandora.

TINCS is back, under a new title and with new goals.

It's been a long few months, I've been working on a few commerical projects and pocketed myself a good bit of cash. I've come back to TINCS with a new perspective. I checked out TINCS from my private SVN earlier today and have been cleaning it up for the best part of the day. It's a mess. But it's a good mess. The quality stuff is there, I just need to pick the weeds.

This is my to-do list:

- Find the bloody huge gaping memory leak
- Fix various crashes and clean up the code
- Comment & Cleanup run
- Get it onto a public SVN
- Start re-working client server communication and put some thought into the master server
- Find a suitable BSP editor and create BSP rendering system as well as a custom BSP exporter for the editor
- I should have my Pandora by this point, so it's time to get it running on the Pandora!

So far, I've fixed up the lighting (in particular, the shader<->engine communication). I've got a result:

2vkazhe.png

Feels good to be back.

I'm with Gruso on this one. Great to see it's not dead. The picture looks good, seems like you've fixed a lot of the problems you were having with shaders not cooperating. I'm guessing you went back to using your own custom engine?

P.S.: If you're having trouble with memleaks, use valgrind (if you don't already). It's an INCREDIBLE (free!) tool for detecting memory leaks/corruption, and can even be used for profiling as well. The only downside is that it only runs on Linux (no valgrind for Windows, sadly).

Good to know there's still support :p.

Thanks Voporeal, I was looking into valgrind. But if you can vouch for it, I'll make the move over to Code::Block and Linux/Windows x-compiling sweetness sooner.

Butterman said:
Good to know there's still support :p .

Thanks Voporeal, I was looking into valgrind. But if you can vouch for it, I'll make the move over to Code::Block and Linux/Windows x-compiling sweetness sooner.

I'm working on a project of my own (a 3D game as well, actually), and have decided to finally reinstall Linux on my laptop so that I can use Valgrind for memory leaks (of which I probably have PLENTY). It's a very useful tool. There are also a number of GUIs that make using it even easier. Profiling and runtime memory testing are just so hard to do on Windows without expensive software that I'm just giving in and going back to Valgrind.

I'd wait to make sure that other developers (read: real/legit developers) agree before spending all the time transitioning your dev environment. If you're planning on doing it at some point anyway, well, that's another story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vorporeal can we have some info on your upcoming game or is it still in a shapeless mass of variables? Or is it a secret :p

Luftwaffles said:
Vorporeal can we have some info on your upcoming game or is it still in a shapeless mass of variables? Or is it a secret :p

It's a 3D, CTF-style FPS based (somewhat) around Squidi's "Stacked Fortress" mechanic. It's in the VERY beginning stages, and it'll be a long time before I release anything to the public. Right now, I'm targeting it at PCs (Win/Lin), but once there's enough progress (and I get some friends to help me with it), I'll consider adding a GLES renderer and making a Pandora port.

Let's try to stay on topic though, I'd rather not derail Butterman's thread. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
CONSIDERING porting it to the pandora :p
Keep up the good work butterman, good to see good ol TINCS is picking up some speed again.

Yeah, same here. It's more memorable, and that was the name for so long that my brain just can't help but call it that. ;)

I cant wait to see the final product. It would be great to see a friends system implemented into the online gameplay as many gamers like myself meet people we will know for years playing online games.

What sort of map format will the game use? Brush-based like Quake and Source based games? I might like to try making some maps for this.
edit: oops, didn't read the first post properly.
In that case I would recommend GTKRadiant for an editor and the Quake 3 BSP format, because GTKRadiant comes with a Q3 BSP builder ready to go and IIRC Irrlicht already has some form of Q3 BSP loading built in.

27zer86.png

Sorry guys, no human condition in time for pandora release. But I've been working on something else, which may be done in time...

To me, Butterman, that last pic looks like a hightec version of Dungeon Keeper =D That would be sick!!

Back