Release VVVVVV for Pandora

I just downloaded the repo version on a brand new Pandora and it was slow. Turns out, for some reason, scaling defaulted to 2.

Setting it to 1 using Mousepad fixed the problem but you'll probably want to look into why it decided to pick that default. (though it's still harder to play VVVVVV with a D-pad or Pandora WADS than with arrow keys on a desktop keyboard :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
(though it's still harder to play VVVVVV with a D-pad or Pandora WADS than with arrow keys on a desktop keyboard :p )

Remember that you can use A/Y and Space to flip as well as up/down. ;)

That'd really help with WADS being too cramped but the problem with the D-pad is that it's too hard to press only left/right without also pressing up/down. If there was a way to turn off "pressing up flips your gravity even if you're already on the roof" then that would solve that problem.

+1 for the ability to define keys / turn off flip gravity on the DPad. The issue of unwanted flipping of gravity via accidental pressing of the DPad put me off playing this on the Pandora for fear of destroying it via rage quitting :p .

LOL! Great minds think alike . . . :D

Since VVVVVV uses Notaz's SDL you can remap they keys by using an omapsdl.cfg file in the \pandora\appdata\vvvvvv folder.

I use:

Code:
bind ev_up = sdlk_u

bind ev_down = sdlk_n

Which assigns up and down to u and n (u and n are not used in VVVVVV)

omapsdl.cfg.txt

If you want to use the attached omapsdl.cfg.txt file rename it from omapsdl.cfg.txt to just omapsdl.cfg and put it here:

\pandora\appdata\vvvvvv\omapsdl.cfg

@Picke, the VVVVVV in the repo defaults to Scaling 2 on a new install.

Attachments

• omapsdl.cfg.txt
    382 bytes · Views: 218
Since VVVVVV uses Notaz's SDL you can remap they keys by using an omapsdl.cfg file in the \pandora\appdata\vvvvvv folder.

I use:

Code:
bind ev_up = sdlk_u

bind ev_down = sdlk_n

Hm... that works, though it makes navigating menus a little weird. It would be nicer if there was an in-game option.

Many thanks dgame, that worked a treat, you are my geek of the week for that little tip.

Really looking forward to playing through vvvvvv on Pandora. :)

I got this today :)

Thanks for the work!

Could someone explain what the scaling thingy is? Where can I set it? It is slower than the flash demo, so I guess it's currently wrong.

I got this today :)

Thanks for the work!

Could someone explain what the scaling thingy is? Where can I set it? It is slower than the flash demo, so I guess it's currently wrong.
set it to windowed mode, [1x] scaling

hey Pickle, do you think Terry would be open to selling VVVVVV with data on our repo?

I'd like to see that, it's a favourite game of mine... these little pix are not even fake!

I'm using VVVVVV to promote / sell pandora at my new little shop on http://pandoria.org/

success.jpg

explore.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suspect he wouldnt, since he already has it available on the official site and on steam. It really isnt necessary either since you only need the data from the package regardless of where it is purchased.

It's not necessary but would be convenient, and make it easier for non-geeks to play it. There's a 3DS port as you know, sold from Nintendo online shop. I'll ask, anyway.

Hi Picke,

Though this is minor, could you update the VVVVVV.pnd in the repo to set the default scaling to 1 instead of the default 2?

Defaulting to scaling 2 gives the false impression that the game is not as fast as in the demos.

Thanks

The run.sh had:

Code:
cp -r --no-clobber default/* .

that glob misses .vvvvvv there, it should be:

Code:
cp -r --no-clobber default/.vvvvvv .

Fixing that, vvvvvv works well right away.

So will you buy copies of Angry Birds from Rovio and sell the AngryBirds.pnd?

Do you think that would be cool?

Back